Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

RACISM (spinoff from another post)

Posted by   + Show Post

Since another post that was about one specific incident went way off track, I though we could discuss just this issue. What are your views? How do you think and how do you perceive other peoples thoughts? Is it just your own perception of what you think that other people may think? I'd really like to know.

Please. Think hard before making your answers because I've seen people contradict theirselves more than once. Some of us are tired of being called a racist when we don't support a decision just because it was made by a AA group/family, even if we would not like that same decision/ action if it were to come from any other ethnic background.

Bottom line, what are your thoughts on racism?

• angel-1-1-1-2.jpg picture by kfpep
by on Jul. 14, 2009 at 8:28 PM
Replies (341-350):
Angelina052105
by Member on Jul. 20, 2009 at 2:20 AM

Quoting Da1nOnlyDestiny:

I read through this whole post and I am so taken back by everything that was said that i cant even comment on anyone's replies without sounding like a maniac, so i am just going to reply to the OP. Bottom line, what are your thoughts on racism? I have posted many times in different posts in this group about my views and expereiences with racism. As a child I have experienced racism first hand. I have seen friends of mine who are black deal with racism. Ok here goes my long and drawn out reply which will hit many targets and annoy some but this is my opinion on the things i have seen and experience in my lifetime and I stand by how I feel. Unfortunately AAs had a difficult past in this country, our history books are filled with the horrors and termoils that AA have faced through out the times. Slowly as years went by the won their rights to freedom. Of course racism followed closly behind because AAs looked different, their skin was not pure, their cultures were not civilized. The same way the Native Americans were perceived so was the AAs. They were looked at as nothing more then a waste of space and they were looked for as labor and loss and that was to most all they were good for. AAs could not speak the language, AAs could not read, therefore they were taken easily for granted and were used as pawns. Years later here we are with AAs in office of companies, AAs can read and write, AAs can make it to capitol hill, etc.. yet why is there still racism? Because they still create reasons for it. Yes for years and years many have fought and died trying to make equal rights between AAs and Whites, yet many AAs still remain angry, hateful, resentful, and hurt. They teach this to their young, and it becomes a never ending cycle of hate. Same goes with White people, some who felt that AAs should have stayed the status they once were still carry anger and annomosity and they pass that down to their young, so on and so on. When will it stop? It won't. AAs feel that the world owes them something for the treatment of their ancestors, Whites feel what more could they want when we (this generation and more) have already admitted that what had happened in the past was wrong. AAs have scream ranted and raved that people are still racisit, that there is still discrimination! Well it is a two way street! AAs are just as racist at times as those who are not AA. So when people of this country learn to stop pointing the other finger and learn to point the finger at the person staring back at them in the mirror racism will never go away.

Wow. I couldn't have said it better myself...

~The evidence of God's presence far outweighs the proof of His absence~

angel<3 Angela

TexasRDA
by Member on Jul. 20, 2009 at 2:45 PM

No things were not handed to whites.  Whites through history have been strong and faught for what they have.  Nobody ever got anything by sitting by the side and not doing what they had to in order to be on top.

Quoting dustinsmom1:

Quoting bxbsmommy:

Quoting resamerie:

There is no need to fight for the rights of whites. Those rights have always been handed to them. Maybe you mean there needs to be someone to fight for the injustice that's whites. If that's the case you all have rush limbaugh and pat Buchanan lol!

This, has got to be one of the most asinine things I have read in my life.

TexasRDA
by Member on Jul. 20, 2009 at 2:51 PM

One of the biggest issues I hear complained about from the black race is about inner city schools and how it isn't fair that they don't get as much as other schools.  I went to an inner city school when I was a little kid.  I will tell you one thing,  those kids were punks.  They were trouble makers, destroyed property, bullied, lied, back talked teachers,  didn't do their homework, and I saw a ton of them who looked about 2 years older than me and come to find out, they were because they had failed a couple of times.  Guess what?  These kids were not white. Oh a few were, but the majority of them were black.  And yet people want to complain that we are not flushing enough money down the drain by giving to these inner city schools where the kids don't give a crap about trying to better themselves? These kids seem to be more interested in turning out to be thugs and drug dealers than in actually being a decent student.  These inner cities are full of people like this and we are supposed to just keep throwing money at them?  Not in my book. It isn't our fault these parents aren't being real parents and laying down the law with their kids.  And it isn't our fault if these kids don't want to learn.  Lets focus on the ones who actually do want to be something one day besides drug dealers and gang bangers.

Quoting NinjaReidou:

Quoting DevilDuckie:

All her responses are racist.  She thinks it is completely appropriate because it is against white people. 

We are handed everything on a silver platter.  We never had to fight for anything.  We don't have people call us derogitory names at all (cracker, snowflake, lily).  People do not think that white people act a certain way, drive a certain car, live in a certain neighborhood, speak a certain language. 

We are given everything because we are white.  We never have to worry about a police officer pulling us over, we don't have to worry about a group of kids ganging up on us because we are in the wrong neighborhood, we don't have to worry about not being served in a certain restaurant.

White people are never judged for the color of their skin !

She is the most racist person I have ever associated with.  It makes me sick and feel so bad for the people she is around.  Think about how she treats people face to face.

HERE HERE! I was discussing this in this group with her a few days ago and she got mad at me for saying it was not just her people that went through bad things...other races did as well.  She then implied that her people went through more hardships than anyone else...I decided to use that back and talk about the Jews who have been persecuted for thousands of years and tortured and killed (not enslaved) just plain murdered...then she got mad and basically said that I was a terrible person for saying one people have suffered more than another.

EDIT: She also attempted to justify my example by saying "We are talking about racism in AMERICA! not other countries".  A total copout in my opinion.  I find that odd cause there are entire neighborhoods of Jewish people in America lol

I was just doing what she did and turning it around...and yet it is my fault. lol

I wouldn't bother with her.  She has tunnel vision.

aidans_mama
by on Jul. 20, 2009 at 3:29 PM

i deleted my response, i have come to the realization that no one is really learning anything with this thread.  comparing tragedies, complaints about each other is counter-productive and extremely frustrating.  no one is taking the time to understand each others views, everyone is trying to "one up" each other with their experiences. and the generalizations are a bit much, and it is truly disappointing.

plus, i have to stick by my, "stay out of this thread" rule.

resamerie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 20, 2009 at 4:32 PM

Quoting aidans_mama:

i deleted my response, i have come to the realization that no one is really learning anything with this thread.  comparing tragedies, complaints about each other is counter-productive and extremely frustrating.  no one is taking the time to understand each others views, everyone is trying to "one up" each other with their experiences. and the generalizations are a bit much, and it is truly disappointing.

I don't think people are so much trying to 'one up each other' as much as they are trying to give each other different views that they may not have known before. It seems that a lot of AA's may not know about racism against white people. Some get the idea that everything is handed to us. Some of us just want to spread the word that it simply isn't true. At least that was my intention when making this post. That we are discriminated against a lot also. When we apply for a job someplace owned by AA's. When we are walking through an AA neighborhood, or even a Spanish one for that matter. I'm not trying to 'one up' anyone. Just trying to point out that it goes both ways and a lot of people don't believe that.

lacylady
by on Jul. 21, 2009 at 10:37 AM

Quoting resamerie:

Quoting aidans_mama:

I don't think people are so much trying to 'one up each other' as much as they are trying to give each other different views that they may not have known before. It seems that a lot of AA's may not know about racism against white people. Some get the idea that everything is handed to us. Some of us just want to spread the word that it simply isn't true. At least that was my intention when making this post. That we are discriminated against a lot also. When we apply for a job someplace owned by AA's. When we are walking through an AA neighborhood, or even a Spanish one for that matter. I'm not trying to 'one up' anyone. Just trying to point out that it goes both ways and a lot of people don't believe that.

I'm WHITE from a white family and I intend to keep it that way as far as I am conserned the more I read from some people ADRIAN Why is it tht you be all black and just perfect but IF i'm all white then I'm sopose to be ashamed? well I'm not darling...I'm just as damn proud as you are...I'm proud that I don't have to depend on others to feed my family,I do have a job, I do ahve a house. I am working to make all those things better in the future...and as far as all that being handed to me ----don't judge me--walk a mile in my shoes---You don't know me---Racism hits all of us THE difference is SOME of us decides to deal with the racism some decide to live with it...I deal with it...IT will not rule my life...why don't you try my way...IT really does work......LACY    oh she will never see this she is GONE      again....haha

aidans_mama
by on Jul. 21, 2009 at 12:28 PM

Quoting lacylady:

I'm WHITE from a white family and I intend to keep it that way as far as I am conserned the more I read from some people ADRIAN Why is it tht you be all black and just perfect but IF i'm all white then I'm sopose to be ashamed? well I'm not darling...I'm just as damn proud as you are...I'm proud that I don't have to depend on others to feed my family,I do have a job, I do ahve a house. I am working to make all those things better in the future...and as far as all that being handed to me ----don't judge me--walk a mile in my shoes---You don't know me---Racism hits all of us THE difference is SOME of us decides to deal with the racism some decide to live with it...I deal with it...IT will not rule my life...why don't you try my way...IT really does work......LACY    oh she will never see this she is GONE      again....haha

wtf are you talking about? keep your family white for all i care, the more i read from you the more i figure you wouldn't have it any other way.  who is adrian?  who the heck said black people were perfect?  from this post i have learned that we are lazy, whinny, complaint driven, uneducated, too privileged, jobless beings who do not care enough about our children and our children aspire to be drug dealers and gang bangers.  there's more, i just don't feel like getting into right now.  i don't give a damn whether or not you are proud to be white or not, most black people don't, but when your pride interferes with my happiness and the safety of my family, then we have a problem. 

so white pride is not living off of others, having a job and house?  i am glad my dh and i are able to take care of our children without being dependent upon our familiies or in need of assistance from the govt., i am happy for my job, my pride in my blackness is not dependant upon these things.  it is much bigger than jobs, houses and assistance.  i don't recall saying you were handed anything.  but i have learned that minorities don't really earn their positions, most often they are less qualified than white people.  i have learned that my college education was free, my skin took my tests, earned all my grades, and earned my diploma.. i didn't do shit. 

''don't judge you?!" really, i am insanely surprised, actually no i am not, that you can write that statement, yet are so guilty of this same behavior.  upon reading several of your posts, i don't want to walk in your shoes, share your shoes or even look at your shoes.  your perception of black people disgusts me and i am in no way, shape, or form willing to meet you where you are at, when i know for a fact you would not be willing to do the same.  no, racism does not hit all of us.  plain and simple.  i have dealt with racism on an individual level, as many white people have, and on an instituitional level, an experience i have yet to share with another white person.  i DO live with it, i SHOULDN'T have to, my boys shouldn't have to, but i do...i don't let shit rule me, but i also am not going to let someone who doesn't even spend time with enough black people to know that what they spew about black people is not fact, but rather ignorance.  i am tired of my brother and sisters being the butt end of someone's rants, i am tired of the actions of a few black people being the actions of ALL black people.  it is like what i am speaking at seminars for?  what am i teaching my community to be more accepting of white people for, when they aren't accepting of those who look like me?    i ain't trying nothing you do, it really doesn't seem to be working for you.

*edited to add: i wasn't going to respond again, but for you, i will make an exception, for i feel you are too special.

resamerie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 21, 2009 at 3:03 PM

Aidens mom, this sentance could be taken both ways by both races and I quote you;  , but when your pride interferes with my happiness and the safety of my family, then we have a problem. 

Do you not understand that many 'white' people suffer from injustices under the guise of 'black pride'. Go back to Rodney King and Reginald Denny and the LA riots. Here we had a man simply driving a truck, pulled out of it and beaten half to death by black people just because they were trying to make a statement. Some kind of f'ing statement that made.

Della529
by Matlock on Jul. 21, 2009 at 5:15 PM

Texas, there are areas like this all over the country.

My daddy and I owned quite a bit of low-income housing and I have some interesting memories.  Some are heartbreaking, but the majority make me cringe.  I can't tell you how many times we had to repair what was a very nice home when some tenants first moved in as compared to what it looked like when they moved out.  HUD didn't pay for the repairs and they didn't kick the recipeints out of the system, either.

Neither can I tell you the number of times CPS was involved because of truancy, or how many times the police questioned us regarding some crime or another about a household member who resided at one of our properties.

I would love to see black people advance, but I think their beliefs and acceptance in, and of, the "system" have hurt them more than it has helped.  I had one 19 year old tenant tell me "If you white people are stupid enough to give it to me, I'm smart enough to take it".  I saw her again a while back and she was still in the same situation.

Quoting TexasRDA:

One of the biggest issues I hear complained about from the black race is about inner city schools and how it isn't fair that they don't get as much as other schools.  I went to an inner city school when I was a little kid.  I will tell you one thing,  those kids were punks.  They were trouble makers, destroyed property, bullied, lied, back talked teachers,  didn't do their homework, and I saw a ton of them who looked about 2 years older than me and come to find out, they were because they had failed a couple of times.  Guess what?  These kids were not white. Oh a few were, but the majority of them were black.  And yet people want to complain that we are not flushing enough money down the drain by giving to these inner city schools where the kids don't give a crap about trying to better themselves? These kids seem to be more interested in turning out to be thugs and drug dealers than in actually being a decent student.  These inner cities are full of people like this and we are supposed to just keep throwing money at them?  Not in my book. It isn't our fault these parents aren't being real parents and laying down the law with their kids.  And it isn't our fault if these kids don't want to learn.  Lets focus on the ones who actually do want to be something one day besides drug dealers and gang bangers.

dustinsmom1
by JENN on Jul. 21, 2009 at 6:23 PM

Quoting eaglemama2:

Ahahahaha!!! Funny as hell!!

rolling on floor

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN