Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Poll

Question: Should people be allowed to choose their time and manner of death?

Options:

Yes, under all circumstances.

Yes, but only if they are terminally ill.

No, never.

Other. (Explain below)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 62

View Results

From BBC News:

The deaths of British conductor Sir Edward Downes and his wife, Joan, have reopened the assisted suicide debate.

Sir Edward, 85, who was losing his sight and hearing, died on Friday alongside his terminally ill wife, 74, at Swiss right-to-die centre, Dignitas.

In a statement, their family said the couple "died peacefully, and under circumstances of their own choosing".

The Metropolitan Police said it was investigating, as campaigners called for more safeguards to be put in place.

Last week, a proposal by Lord Falconer to allow people to help someone with a terminal illness travel to a country where assisted suicide is legal was thrown out by the Lords.

Sarah Wootton, chief executive of Dignity in Dying, said: "This problem is clearly not going to go away; we are descending down a slippery slope towards unregulated assisted dying abroad, at a rapid pace."

She added that people should be able to make decisions about death for themselves but warned that without safeguards, the process was "dangerous and open to abuse".

Peter Saunders, from Care Not Killing, said the Downes' case was "sad but unusual".

He added that the current law was clear and right and the House of Lords was wise not to approve any change to it.

"With imminent health cuts, growing numbers of elderly people and increasing levels of elder abuse the very last thing we need is to put vulnerable people, many of whom already think they are a financial or emotional burden to relatives, carers and the state, under pressure to end their lives through a change in the law," he said.

'Happy together'

The Downes are not the first couple to die together at the Swiss centre.

In 2003, Dignitas doctors helped Robert and Jennifer Stokes, of Leighton Buzzard in Bedfordshire, to die.

An inquest a year later heard they had both suffered with mental and physical illnesses over 30 years but neither were terminally ill.

The centre has been criticised in the past for accepting people who are not necessarily terminally ill.

Last year, the centre helped 23-year-old Daniel James commit suicide after he was paralysed playing rugby.

Dignitas has helped more than 115 people from the UK to commit suicide since it was founded in 1998.

They decided to end their own lives rather than continue to struggle with serious health problems
The Downes family

None of those cases involved criminal charges, but many were investigated by police.

Assisting a suicide is illegal in Britain under the Suicide Act and carries a maximum sentence of 14 years imprisonment in England and Wales.

A spokesman for the Metropolitan Police said the Downes' deaths were being investigated by Greenwich CID.

"It was reported to police on Monday, July 13, that a man and woman from SE3 had died in Switzerland," he added.

Their son and daughter, Caractacus and Boudicca, said in a statement: "After 54 happy years together, they decided to end their own lives rather than continue to struggle with serious health problems."

No funeral

Sir Edward, who had a 40-year relationship with the BBC Philharmonic Orchestra, was "almost blind and increasingly deaf", according to his family.

Joan Downes, a ballet dancer and later a choreographer and TV producer, was said to be terminally ill with cancer.

"They both lived life to the full and considered themselves to be extremely lucky to have lived such rewarding lives, both professionally and personally," their family said.

"Our parents had no religious beliefs and there will be no funeral," they added.

What do you think? Should people be allowed to die "under circumstances of their own choosing"?  Or only if they have a terminal illness?  Or never?

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

by on Jul. 15, 2009 at 1:59 AM
Replies (61-64):
NinjaReidou
by on Jul. 18, 2009 at 6:31 PM

Quoting Imsupermom2:

Quoting NinjaReidou:

If you guys have ever seen someone on their death bed and in so much pain that no amount of drugs pumping into them from every vein with a tube popping out of it possible...makes them feel better...then you would totally be for someone wanting to chose ending their life.

That is where I feel you are wrong my friend, we are not the givers of life and if that man was on that much pain medication then the person medicating him was not doing their job well....I would say that they need to bring in someone on a pain management team.....We have no right to kill another human being to put them out of their misery. Its Gods job, not ours.....I mean absolutely no disrespect to you at all by my saying this

If its a terminal patient and there was nothing you could do, then having them sign a waiver with a witness (so the person assisting does not get into trouble) and doing it in a doctors office I believe is the humane thing to do.

I visited my uncle in the hospital and he was in the same room as a 92 year old man who had over 4 ivs tubes going in and out of him...a feeding tube in a hole in his stomach...he was on oxygen...he was connected to every machine possible and had a giant bag of two kinds of meds for the pain that he had control over with a button...he kept pushing and pushing the button but was still in so much pain he was crinching to the point of tears. I asked my uncle what he had and he said Stomach Cancer (ouch) The old man had been "living" like that for several years now...doped up on so much pain meds but never finding relief. That is no way to live your life, that is no way I would want t life either.

When you bring an animal to be put down (my dog was put down 4 days ago...she was 19 years old and had heart problems)  you are doing it because their quality of life has diminished and you don't want to prolong their pain...for people...why are we kept on wires and tubes with holes in our bodies to keep us fed and doped up top where we don't even know our own family in order to prevent what is just going to happen anyway? but we love to prolong it for some reason.

I get what you are saying...but no, you need to google and research that pain meds DO NOT get rid of ALL pain. ANd there are even some pain that is so extreme...no amount of pain meds will work. Its common knowledge. Ask a doctor or a nurse

EDIT: all in all, even if the person did not have an assistant..I still believe they have the right to end their own life as it is theirs and theirs alone to do with what they choose.

(for the religious people) God gave them free will and the right to use it how they see fit.

EDIT AGAIN (as I keep forgetting stuff lmao!) Pain killers do NOT get rid of pain or lessen it...all it does is block the pain receptors in your brain and can not block them all.  If someone has a leg cut off and is on the most intense pain killers possible...they still feel a great deal of pain but no where near what they would feel without it (to the point of shock) 

If you were to find some miracle pain killer that could mask the most intense pain by blocking all the pain receptors...you would be brain dead or in a coma

mrs_khan07
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2009 at 6:42 PM

Quoting mistynights234:

Mrs_khan I actually thought about adding  the Qur'an would be a closer version to the origional "bible", but I didnt want to start a war and I was to tired to look up facts to add lol..... and as it was I took things way off topic.......

Quoting mrs_khan07:

Quoting mistynights234:

Im def. for "My Body~My choice"

And just for the record, I do not mean this disresptful but  MrsRStewart I have to differ with your wording here.....The bible HAS changed. Martin Luther Changed and/or Discounted 18 Books of the Bible, now that is one heck of a HUGE change.  King James had the bible rewritten to support his theory for one.   There are so many versions of the bible.  The Jewish have there version, the LDS have there version.  The list goes on and everyone of those "versions" are the "true" versions for the followers and each version has been rewritten from the origional "bible"..  Unless you have access to the first writings.........what your reading is alot of different translations.   

Quoting MrsRStewart:

I do read books, however, these are the same books that every couple years have to update b/c they keep changing their minds.  Coffee is bad, coffee is good, bad, good, bad, etc.  100 years ago people weren't animals, now they are.  Maybe in another 50 years they will decide that they are not.  The Bible however, has never changed.  There has never been any additions to the Word of God.  It stands by itself b/c God never changes.

Ya know, I thought about pointing this out as well, but I thought, what's the point. Little fun fact: The Qur'an has never changed. The purpose of it was to correct the unauthorized changes of the previous Holy Scriptures. It is the final word of God.

Yes, it is one of the quickest ways to start a war here, in fact I suppose all over the world. Lol! (Although it's not really funny) It has never been changed. The only thing is, it is best to know Arabic when trying to read it. I don't speak Arabic so I've only read the English and Albanian versions, but I'm getting there. And there is a huge misconception, people think the Quran is totally different from the other Holy Scriptures but it's really not, same prophets, just extended to Prophet Muhammad (pbuh).

Mrs. Khan

mrs_khan07
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2009 at 6:49 PM

Quoting ladybug3803:

Quoting mistynights234:

Mrs_khan I actually thought about adding  the Qur'an would be a closer version to the origional "bible", but I didnt want to start a war and I was to tired to look up facts to add lol..... and as it was I took things way off topic.......

Quoting mrs_khan07:

Quoting mistynights234:

Im def. for "My Body~My choice"

And just for the record, I do not mean this disresptful but  MrsRStewart I have to differ with your wording here.....The bible HAS changed. Martin Luther Changed and/or Discounted 18 Books of the Bible, now that is one heck of a HUGE change.  King James had the bible rewritten to support his theory for one.   There are so many versions of the bible.  The Jewish have there version, the LDS have there version.  The list goes on and everyone of those "versions" are the "true" versions for the followers and each version has been rewritten from the origional "bible"..  Unless you have access to the first writings.........what your reading is alot of different translations.   

Quoting MrsRStewart:

I do read books, however, these are the same books that every couple years have to update b/c they keep changing their minds.  Coffee is bad, coffee is good, bad, good, bad, etc.  100 years ago people weren't animals, now they are.  Maybe in another 50 years they will decide that they are not.  The Bible however, has never changed.  There has never been any additions to the Word of God.  It stands by itself b/c God never changes.

Ya know, I thought about pointing this out as well, but I thought, what's the point. Little fun fact: The Qur'an has never changed. The purpose of it was to correct the unauthorized changes of the previous Holy Scriptures. It is the final word of God.

This may be a dumb question, but does the Qur'an come in a version that's easy to read & understand? Sorry, off subject....

That's not a dumb question at all. I think I know what you mean, when I first read the Quran it was in Albanian and I wasn't very fluent with that language, still learning in fact, then I started reading an English version that had me totally lost. The one I have now and read and referr to is called "The Qur'an Translation". It is in English, translated by M.H. Shakir and published by Tahrike Tarsile Qur'an, Inc. They have it at Borders. But I think, as with all Holy Scriptures, they can be difficult to correctly interpret on your own, that's why it helps to have someone or something to help you. There are other books that help to interpret the Qur'an.

Mrs. Khan

mrs_khan07
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2009 at 7:01 PM

Quoting Imsupermom2:

The Koran however was written something like 540 years after the death of Christ so it would seem that it would be more translated then the bible ever could be...

Let me try to explain, I can think of a few women in this group who would probably explain it better than me. The Quran was also the direct word of God revealed to Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him), the last prophet. God spoke to Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) in part to correct that which had been misinterpreted and wrongly translated in the previous Holy Scriptures. The Quran does not go into as much detail about Jesus (pbuh) as the Holy Bible. But if you read the Quran, you will see that it is very similar to the Holy Bible. I have read both. The Quran has never been changed, period. Any version of the Quran that you may come accross is the same as any other version, just maybe in a different language. Still, it is best to read if you know Arabic, as that is the original language.

Mrs. Khan

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN