Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Bottle-Feeding Moms Ignored by Medical Staff

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Many feel pressured to breast-feed and ill-informed about alternative, researchers find.

woman bottlefeeding baby

Getty Images

HealthDay News: The lack of information and support for mothers who bottle-feed could put the health of their infants at risk, say British researchers who reviewed 23 studies that included more than 13,000 participants.

Most infants will receive some formula milk during their first year of life, even if their mothers have decided to breast-feed, said Dr. Rajalakshmi Lakshman and colleagues, from the University of Cambridge. Variations in bottle-feeding can have long-term health consequences for children, they noted.

Their review of published studies identified several common themes:

Some mothers who bottle-fed -- either because they couldn't breast-feed or because they prefer to bottle-feed -- experienced negative emotions such as guilt, worry about the impact on their baby, concern about health professionals' opinions, uncertainty about how to proceed, a sense of failure and anger at feeling pressure to breast-feed.

Some mothers said they didn't receive enough information on correct bottle-feeding techniques, which made it difficult to make decisions about whether they should bottle-feed and left them unsure about proper feeding frequencies and quantities.

It was common for mothers to make mistakes in bottle-feeding preparation. Incorrect preparation can increase the risk of infection, promote excessive weight gain or leave babies undernourished.

Some mothers who bottle-fed felt that hospital midwives spent far more time with breast-feeding mothers.

The findings appear online July 14 in the journal Archives of Disease in Childhood.

It's important to promote breast-feeding because it's the healthiest option for both mother and baby, said the authors. But they added that it's "also necessary to ensure that the needs of bottle-feeding mothers are met ... Inadequate information and support for mothers who decide to bottle-feed may put the health of their babies at risk."

If health-care professionals don't provide correct information about bottle-feeding, mothers will seek help from family and friends, which may increase the risk of incorrect bottle-feeding practices being handed down, the researchers said.

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

by on Jul. 16, 2009 at 9:07 AM
Replies (51-56):
Godgaveme4
by Platinum Member on Jul. 17, 2009 at 6:07 PM

Actually their reason is actually none of your business.  They have made the right choice for them and their baby.  I may not agree with the idea of going out drinking well because I never drink.  But that does not mean their reason is idiotic or they are bad mothers.

Personally I did not BF my children because I was excited to share all of the aspects of parenting with my husband.  That included feeding our baby.  And my husband loved spending time with our kids in the middle of the night.  He loved helping to nourish their little bodies.  He loved feeeling like a total parent not just the person that brought the baby to the milk.

Now this is how it worked in our house and our family.

I am just curious, as a lactation companion are you invited in by the new mothers that have decided to BF or do you visit all new mothers...even the ones that made the decision early on not to BF?

Quoting elliephant:

Im sorry but when a woman tells me outright that she doesnt want to breastfeed anymore "so she can go out with the girls on weekends and drink"...then ya, I pass judgement.

I heard that statement more times than i care to remember.

Quoting Godgaveme4:

I think i may be mis-understanding you.  So when a mother decides not to breast feed but rather bottle feed you feel she is being idiotic.  She is making the right choice for her ans her baby.  Just because you do not agree with it does not make it wrong.

Quoting elliephant:

But. I used to be a "Breastfeeding Companion" at my local hospital. It is a program that connects new moms wtih a volunteer mom who has experience breastfeeding and goes thru a training course.  I only have the energy to do it for a year.  Women gave up nursing for the most idiotic reasons and i couldnt handle it anymore.

elliephant
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2009 at 1:20 AM

Uh. Yes their reason *was* my business.

They signed up for the program. It was voluntary on their part.  They indicted the desire to nurse. It was my job to record their reasons.

Given that i was doing it as a volunteer, i didnt see the point in having my precious time wasted on this sort of mentality.

No offense Godgaveyou4... but Godgaveyou2 breasts for a purpose.

*peace*

Quoting Godgaveme4:

Actually their reason is actually none of your business.  They have made the right choice for them and their baby.  I may not agree with the idea of going out drinking well because I never drink.  But that does not mean their reason is idiotic or they are bad mothers.

Personally I did not BF my children because I was excited to share all of the aspects of parenting with my husband.  That included feeding our baby.  And my husband loved spending time with our kids in the middle of the night.  He loved helping to nourish their little bodies.  He loved feeeling like a total parent not just the person that brought the baby to the milk.

Now this is how it worked in our house and our family.

I am just curious, as a lactation companion are you invited in by the new mothers that have decided to BF or do you visit all new mothers...even the ones that made the decision early on not to BF?

Quoting elliephant:

Im sorry but when a woman tells me outright that she doesnt want to breastfeed anymore "so she can go out with the girls on weekends and drink"...then ya, I pass judgement.

I heard that statement more times than i care to remember.

Quoting Godgaveme4:

I think i may be mis-understanding you.  So when a mother decides not to breast feed but rather bottle feed you feel she is being idiotic.  She is making the right choice for her ans her baby.  Just because you do not agree with it does not make it wrong.

Quoting elliephant:

But. I used to be a "Breastfeeding Companion" at my local hospital. It is a program that connects new moms wtih a volunteer mom who has experience breastfeeding and goes thru a training course.  I only have the energy to do it for a year.  Women gave up nursing for the most idiotic reasons and i couldnt handle it anymore.

Godgaveme4
by Platinum Member on Jul. 18, 2009 at 2:26 AM

Quoting elliephant:

They signed up for the program. It was voluntary on their part.  They indicted the desire to nurse. It was my job to record their reasons.

Given that i was doing it as a volunteer, i didnt see the point in having my precious time wasted on this sort of mentality.

*peace*

You are right God did give me 2 breasts.  But sometimes just because you have breasts does not mean you can provide.  And sometimes woman just choose to provide another way.  Which is okay.

It really boggles my mind how judgemental many BFing moms get when someone is not doing what they think is right.  Remember we all make choices that are right for us and no one has the right to judge our reasons for those choices.  Instead, why are we not happy that these babies are being loved and provided for?

I am glad you enjoy BFIng your baby.  I enjoyed feeding time with my children as well.  And Like i said I also enjoyed watching my husband share in a nd enjoy the same process.  I would not change on choice or moment of those years.

elliephant
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2009 at 2:35 AM

Dont mistake me. Im happy when children are provided for in whatever way a woman is willing to.

However.  When my time is volunteered to help women who asked to be part of a program....my "happiness" has limitations.

Hence, i quit.  My time is valuable and i dont see the point in wasting it on people who are indifferent to that.

Quoting Godgaveme4:

Quoting elliephant:

*peace*

You are right God did give me 2 breasts.  But sometimes just because you have breasts does not mean you can provide.  And sometimes woman just choose to provide another way.  Which is okay.

It really boggles my mind how judgemental many BFing moms get when someone is not doing what they think is right.  Remember we all make choices that are right for us and no one has the right to judge our reasons for those choices.  Instead, why are we not happy that these babies are being loved and provided for?

I am glad you enjoy BFIng your baby.  I enjoyed feeding time with my children as well.  And Like i said I also enjoyed watching my husband share in a nd enjoy the same process.  I would not change on choice or moment of those years.

lifescholar
by Member on Jul. 18, 2009 at 3:38 PM

Quoting WImom2:

Sorry I disagree completely. NOTHING should be shoved down any one's throat- including this. Maybe women should have to sit through a video presentation of what an abortion is before they go have one, in the registration process. Maybe if they were educated they wouldn't get one. We all know it wouldn't matter, nor would that ever even happen. If a woman gets the right to chose to kill her unborn child, she should have the right to choose how to feed the ones she does bring to life.

I totally disagree with THIS!

Women SHOULD be educated about abortion before they have one!  I'm pro-choice all the way, but if it's not an INFORMED choice, then it's not really a choice at all!

Same for formula-feeding.  When a mother says she knows the risks of formula-feeding, but it was best for her and her baby, I know 100% that she made an informed decision.  But when someone says that formula is just as good, blah blah blah, I know that they either didn't get all the information before they made their choice, or they are in denial about it.

You have the RIGHT to make the choice about how to feed your child.  But when something as important as your child's nutrition is in question, it had better be an informed choice!

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

home-sweet-home
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2009 at 3:54 PM

I disagree with this completely.

First as an LC we never went into the rooms of formula feeding moms unless THEY called us in there to answer questions about drying up or something. Or on day three they decided to try it.

When we had to teach the home care class, even though 90% of our moms breastfed, we included how to mix formula, how often to feed etc. Also when we stopped doing the class, the nurses included it in the homecare class. I have worked at 6 different hospitals and all were taught how to prepare formula and how to give a bottle.

I see the opposite,. I see many health care providers that have no clue about breastfeeding and give horrible advice. One of my clients doctors confirmed my belief that she had a yeast infection on her nipples. His advice was to give her breasts a rest for a few days and don't bother pumping. Her baby was not even 2 weeks old. Good thing she didn't listen, it would have ended her nursing for good I'm sure!

Check out Jacob's jouney on my home page!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)