Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Hot Topic (7/17): Prayer

Posted by on Jul. 17, 2009 at 3:22 AM
  • 29 Replies

Do you think prayer should be allowed in public settings such as public school graduations or the opening of legislative sessions?  How would you react if you found out that a public school teacher or official prayed aloud in school or if a community sports coach led his/her team in prayer?

Should public prayer be protected as "free speech"?

Do you pray?  Why or why not?

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

by on Jul. 17, 2009 at 3:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
witch_e_woman
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2009 at 3:54 AM
If the need to pray is that great then form a prayer group else where before the event.

Schools should NOT force others to have to sit/stand there while others Pray..form a prayer group in the cafeteria/Auditorium or some where other than a classroom

Same goes for school events/games, form a prayer group else where.

***Personally though..I feel a minuite of silence during any of the events stated above would be the best solution for all instead of forming a prayer group.
Then everyone can worship in silence & not have to be subjected to anyone elses religious beliefs aloud !
rocklovinggirl
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2009 at 5:22 AM

Definitely!
Anyone should be allowed to practice their religion, it is one of our rights! 
Just as long as it is not forced upon everyone, such as, making a prayer over the announcements but what is so bad about a person bowing their head and praying silently... if that offends someone, oh well, get over it! It is called freedom of religion!
Yes, I do pray, every day!

"When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads. "-Ron Paul
"The history of liberty is the history of the limitation of government, not the increase of it."- Woodrow Wilson
Raintree
by Ruby Member on Jul. 17, 2009 at 8:17 AM

People can pray silently where/when they want. You just can't - what you said- force it on everyone.

Quoting rocklovinggirl:

Definitely!
Anyone should be allowed to practice their religion, it is one of our rights! 
Just as long as it is not forced upon everyone, such as, making a prayer over the announcements but what is so bad about a person bowing their head and praying silently... if that offends someone, oh well, get over it! It is called freedom of religion!
Yes, I do pray, every day!

Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants. - Michael Pollan

And while you're at it, remember that when you purchase food, you're voting with your dollar. Local farms, diversity, sustainability- all these should be positively answered by your vote. 

iluvmommyhood58
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2009 at 8:24 AM
I think students can personally pray, hell a group of them can get together... that's a right in this country. I think a teacher can personally pray if he/she wants to, within school property. That's a right too. A teacher, as an employee and representative of the public school system which is supported by the government and taxpayers, should not lead a prayer OR attempt to influence the religious choice of any student. And it's only because, as an employee of the school, that teacher is an extension of the school.
AdkArmyMom
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2009 at 8:30 AM

Prayer in public school?  No.  However, I have no problem (nor should anyone else) with a moment of silence during which people may reflect (or not) as they choose.  They can pray, think about what they're having for lunch or whatever else they want and no one has ANY reason to be offended.

In answer to the latter question, yes I do pray and we pray and attend Church as a family.

IhartU
by Gold Member on Jul. 17, 2009 at 9:42 AM

People should have to be forced to listen to prayer in a public setting. Not everyone prays the same or to the same God. It's arrogant, selfish and rude to think all those present are of the same belief you are. When it happens I inwardly roll my eyes and think how wrong it is. It's an intrusion on my rights.

As for prayer in Government sessions, I think this it totally unconstitutional and shouldn't happen.

Miracle6
by Member on Jul. 17, 2009 at 10:51 AM

I believe the saying is: Freedom OF religion, not Freedom FROM religion.

As an athiest, I support other peoples right to pray when and how they want to. No one can MAKE me pray.

PamR
by Pam on Jul. 17, 2009 at 11:45 AM

People can pray whenever and wherever they feel they need to - no one needs someone standing up in front of them, telling them that now is when they "should" pray.

Separtion of church and state should be respected.  If we are going to lead school children or public officials in prayer, we should encompass every religion, not just Christianity - Judism, Islam, Buddist, Hindu, pagens - because Americans are free to worship any and all of these, and more. 

WImom2
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2009 at 12:50 PM

They already open legislative sessions with prayer. Mainly from my research the Our Father. I am fine with that. If someone in that particular setting is not ok with it they can always NOT pray. What are they so afraid of? Like listening to a prayer may make them burst into flames? LOL

Pepperlynns
by on Jul. 17, 2009 at 1:03 PM

my kids school say the anthem, the pledge than a minute of silence each morning

I'm a 30 yr old mom to 3 kids 9,7,5 yrs old..Wife to  the greatest man in the world of 11 yrs..SAHM..Not looking or giving advice on how to raise MY/YOUR kids..I'm a smoker,a toker,a social gulper..We live in Texas..Im spiritual,anti-gun,non-organic,swearing,President respecting woman..We make good money and buy American made products..

wanna make money? CLICK ME!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN