Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do you think prayer should be allowed in public settings such as public school graduations or the opening of legislative sessions?  How would you react if you found out that a public school teacher or official prayed aloud in school or if a community sports coach led his/her team in prayer?

Should public prayer be protected as "free speech"?

Do you pray?  Why or why not?

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

by on Jul. 17, 2009 at 3:22 AM
Replies (11-20):
Eilish
by on Jul. 17, 2009 at 2:33 PM

Quoting Cafe GroupAdmin:

Do you think prayer should be allowed in public settings such as public school graduations or the opening of legislative sessions? 

I believe that prayer should be an option, and I believe if the vast majority of people participating would like the prayer out loud, then it should be allowed. If someone is offended, they have the right to leave. If a few people wish to pray outloud, but no one else wants to, then those few should be allowed to time to have their prayer either in silence, or by allowing them to leave, and then move on.

How would you react if you found out that a public school teacher or official prayed aloud in school or if a community sports coach led his/her team in prayer?

1) It depends on the religion, and 2) it depends on whether she allowed the children to opt out.

Should public prayer be protected as "free speech"?

It already is. Just that people don't think it should be.

Do you pray?  Why or why not?

Absolutely. It is my lifeline to God. Why would I want to cut off commune time with God? That doesn't make sense to me.

amygray
by on Jul. 17, 2009 at 2:55 PM

Do you think prayer should be allowed in public settings such as public school graduations or the opening of legislative sessions?  yes of course it should allowed..  if you don't want to listen or participate then don't.. 

How would you react if you found out that a public school teacher or official prayed aloud in school or if a community sports coach led his/her team in prayer? i would think it was a great thing

Should public prayer be protected as "free speech"?  yes, yes yes..  why would it not be free speech?

Do you pray? yes.  we even pray aloud at restaurants and hold eachothers hands.. gasp Why or why not?  because it is my right and responsibility

Eilish
by on Jul. 17, 2009 at 3:14 PM

Prayer (and other religious activity) should be neither mandated nor prohibited. This is what the First Amendment states.

Della529
by Matlock on Jul. 17, 2009 at 4:09 PM

Do you think prayer should be allowed in public settings such as public school graduations or the opening of legislative sessions?  I believe a moment of silence is sufficient to satisfy anyone who chooses to pray to their particular deity.

How would you react if you found out that a public school teacher or official prayed aloud in school or if a community sports coach led his/her team in prayer?  My high school coaches always prayed before a football/baseball/soccer game, track meet, tennis/golf match, etc.  The students involved never complained, but some of their parents did.

However, that was more than 25 years ago.  Times seem to have changed...or maybe societal issues have escalated.  Regardless, I don't mind my children being involved in a prayer as long as it follows blessings for all and isn't directed to one particular religious group.  A "generic prayer" perhaps?

Should public prayer be protected as "free speech"?  I think this is a sticky question.  Prayer in a public *taxpayer* paid forum like school affects the children of those who are funding the public facility.  I believe the free speech is more for individuals rather than a collective group, and as such, the moment of silence I referred to earlier, satisfies this, too.

Do you pray?  Why or why not?  Yes, but not over every little thing.  I pray to be thankful and to ask for guidance.

Question to the OP and anyone else willing to respond:

How did the removal of Christian prayer begin in the US?

izzybear0217
by on Jul. 17, 2009 at 4:48 PM

Do you think prayer should be allowed in public settings such as public school graduations or the opening of legislative sessions?If you want a moment of slience to pray thats fine w/ me but I don't think it should be out loud

How would you react if you found out that a public school teacher or official prayed aloud in school or if a community sports coach led his/her team in prayer? I think it shouldn't be done in public schools unless its a prayer group

Should public prayer be protected as "free speech"? I don't know how I feel about this one

Do you pray?  Why or why not?  No I don't pray b/c I don't believe God exist.

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
MemawBrie
by on Jul. 17, 2009 at 5:31 PM

Quoting Eilish:

Prayer (and other religious activity) should be neither mandated nor prohibited. This is what the First Amendment states.

Yes, this ^

I may not know what my future holds, but, I do know
                               the One who holds my future ♥
JESUS

Godgaveme4
by Platinum Member on Jul. 17, 2009 at 6:25 PM

Quoting Miracle6:

I believe the saying is: Freedom OF religion, not Freedom FROM religion.

As an athiest, I support other peoples right to pray when and how they want to. No one can MAKE me pray.

This is a very good point. 

And i think as a nation we have gone out of our way to make sure religion and the mention of God....any god  is not mentioned because we do not want to hurt peoples feelings.  I believe that at Graduations a graduate should be able to mention God, thank Him, and quote a verse if they are fond of it or it special to them.  Because that is who they are.  But they cannot do that because someone might get offended.

Yes I pray.  I believe God listens to pray and great things can happen through prayer.

sillyone
by on Jul. 17, 2009 at 7:55 PM

Quoting Cafe GroupAdmin:

Do you think prayer should be allowed in public settings such as public school graduations or the opening of legislative sessions? Yes, if the students majoirity agree on it. Maybe they should have a bullet a month before graduation. Isn't that what this country is all about the majority rules.

How would you react if you found out that a public school teacher or official prayed aloud in school or if a community sports coach led his/her team in prayer? I have no problem about it my sons couch always did a generic prayer and when it came to the gods name he would pause and all the students to add what they wanted.

Should public prayer be protected as "free speech"? Yes it does!!! This country was founded on freedom of religion. So everyone can pray, worship who they wanted. They left Europe because they where force into the catholic ways and didn't have the chose to worship who they wanted.

Freedom of speech is the freedom to speak freely without censorship or limitation. The synonymous term freedom of expression is sometimes used to denote not only freedom of verbal speech but any act of seeking, receiving and imparting information or ideas, regardless of the medium used. Freedom of speech and freedom of expression are closely related to, yet distinct from, the concept of freedom of thought. In practice, the right to freedom of speech is not absolute in any country and the right is commonly subject to limitations, such as on "hate speech".

Do you pray? Yes i pray! Why or why not? Because in the Holy Bible it says to  Pray without ceasing" in the Bible: 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

MemawBrie
by on Jul. 17, 2009 at 8:07 PM

I pray, and I don't need the "permission" from anyone to do so...if I want to pray out loud, I'll pray out loud. 

I may not know what my future holds, but, I do know
                               the One who holds my future ♥
JESUS

Imsupermom2
by Cynthia on Jul. 17, 2009 at 8:35 PM

I absolutely think that their should be prayer in School whether public or private. This country was founded on God. The forefathers that created the constitution were in whole a christian group of people and the constitution was based on christian beliefs. I think something like 27 of the men that signed the constitution were in whole ministers themselves and firm believers in Christ. 

The separation of church and state is a completely different thing. If I am not mistaken it started in England with taxes. People didn't want to pay taxes to England and be told where to go to church and then pay taxes to the state as well...Separation of church and state......

What I find so Ironic is that the very people that are trying to have their rights protected ( by keeping god out of our classrooms) are the same people that are trying to step on someone elses....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN