Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bishop's Castle- for the libertarians:)

Posted by   + Show Post

This is a guy I've met a few times, and we go see the castle every year in the summer when we're out in Colorado. I thought some of you would find this man and his message interesting.

Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants. - Michael Pollan

And while you're at it, remember that when you purchase food, you're voting with your dollar. Local farms, diversity, sustainability- all these should be positively answered by your vote. 

by on Jul. 17, 2009 at 12:39 PM
Replies (21-30):
Eilish
by on Jul. 18, 2009 at 6:04 PM

We may be headed out that direction soon. My aunt and uncle live in Canon City, CO and Westcliff is not far. If we go, I will be sure to post pics.

Quoting Raintree:

He's been working on it for a few decades now. Last time I was there, there weren't the stained glass windows that are there now.

If anyone is in the area- ya'll oughta try to see this. It's down around Westcliff or Rye.

I'm going to post some pictures on my page pretty soon.

Quoting norwegianwood:

Quoting Raintree:

Well, I can understand his frustration, though;)

Quoting norwegianwood:

I will say that I agree with alot of what he says, but I feel he is simply WRONG on the electoral college. We are a Republic, NOT a democracy, and that is to ensure that each STATE keeps some soveregnty and has at least a representative say. On a strictly popular vote, the highly populated, largely metropolitan city populations that are hugely 'dems' etc would DICTATE for the entire country ..when each region has its OWN concerns, issues etc. So, he's just 'wrong' imo on that particular issue. I am a Federalist and believe the founders GOT IT RIGHT with regards to the electoral college. I even think that states ought to use that same process RATHER than the 'popular' or MOB vote...but, that is up to each state.

P

OH..definitely! And I DO agree with much of what he had to say. I LOVE the castle! I want to see MORE pics! ...like if you gone every year, you might be able to show a 'gradual' growth of it that we couldn't see in the video...just wondering...

P

norwegianwood
by Platinum Member on Jul. 18, 2009 at 6:10 PM

Quoting Raintree:

He's been working on it for a few decades now. Last time I was there, there weren't the stained glass windows that are there now.

If anyone is in the area- ya'll oughta try to see this. It's down around Westcliff or Rye.

Quoting norwegianwood:

Quoting Raintree:

Quoting norwegianwood:

I will say that I agree with alot of what he says, but I feel he is simply WRONG on the electoral college. We are a Republic, NOT a democracy, and that is to ensure that each STATE keeps some soveregnty and has at least a representative say. On a strictly popular vote, the highly populated, largely metropolitan city populations that are hugely 'dems' etc would DICTATE for the entire country ..when each region has its OWN concerns, issues etc. So, he's just 'wrong' imo on that particular issue. I am a Federalist and believe the founders GOT IT RIGHT with regards to the electoral college. I even think that states ought to use that same process RATHER than the 'popular' or MOB vote...but, that is up to each state.

P

OH..definitely! And I DO agree with much of what he had to say. I LOVE the castle! I want to see MORE pics! ...like if you gone every year, you might be able to show a 'gradual' growth of it that we couldn't see in the video...just wondering...

P

COOL! I look forward to seeing the 'transformation'...I would LOVE to do something like that...just 'start building and see what comes out' how cool is that?

P

Newbieonthblock
by on Jul. 18, 2009 at 6:40 PM

I love this guy!  Is he married? LOL

Eilish
by on Jul. 18, 2009 at 7:14 PM

Quoting Newbieonthblock:

I love this guy!  Is he married? LOL

Yup. He stated in the video I posted on page 1 of the comments, that his wife "cracked" the IRC - Internal Revenue Code. Apparently (from what I could make out in his tirade - God bless him) is that he and his wife took the IRS to court in a common law court (as opposed to the statutory courts that are far more prevelant in our society) and won his case - he stated that he doesn't pay taxes to anyone.

mrs_khan07
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2009 at 8:00 PM

Quoting norwegianwood:

Quoting Raintree:

Quoting norwegianwood:

Quoting Raintree:

Quoting norwegianwood:

P

P

COOL! I look forward to seeing the 'transformation'...I would LOVE to do something like that...just 'start building and see what comes out' how cool is that?

P

Have you heard of the Winchester Mystery House? The woman who kept building and building onto her house because a medium told her that it would keep the evil spirits away. She just kept going, there are stairs that go straight to the ceiling, doors that don't go anywhere, she just kept building. I love the idea of this too.

Mrs. Khan

norwegianwood
by Platinum Member on Jul. 18, 2009 at 8:24 PM

Quoting mrs_khan07:

Quoting norwegianwood:

Quoting Raintree:

Quoting norwegianwood:

Quoting Raintree:

Quoting norwegianwood:

P

P

P

Have you heard of the Winchester Mystery House? The woman who kept building and building onto her house because a medium told her that it would keep the evil spirits away. She just kept going, there are stairs that go straight to the ceiling, doors that don't go anywhere, she just kept building. I love the idea of this too.

Never hear of it! Sounds fascinating though! I ...confess...I will stop to look at architecture, houses, churches you name it anytime I can. I can't allow myself to watch HGTV much anymore because it just 'never' ends for me. LOL Maybe I was 'supposed' to be a builder! Maybe it's because my grandfather was a builder? I don't know, but I LOVE looking at old buildings, current buildings, unique buildings, bridges...all of it. I'm going now to see if this Winchester Mystery House has an online site. LOL Thanks!

P

norwegianwood
by Platinum Member on Jul. 18, 2009 at 8:40 PM

That Winchester house is in San Jose! We're going to be RIGHT IN THAT AREA next month. Adding it to my list of things to see! Thanks Mrs. Khan!

P 

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Jul. 19, 2009 at 12:42 AM

Well, there ya go. My parents are in Canon;) I LOVE it there. Didn't think I would after Elizabeth, but it's quite nice.

We took our kids on the train ride that goes through the Royal Gorge- not the little kid one- the big one. It's really beautiful.

Quoting Eilish:

We may be headed out that direction soon. My aunt and uncle live in Canon City, CO and Westcliff is not far. If we go, I will be sure to post pics.

Quoting Raintree:

Quoting norwegianwood:

Quoting Raintree:

Quoting norwegianwood:

P

P

Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants. - Michael Pollan

And while you're at it, remember that when you purchase food, you're voting with your dollar. Local farms, diversity, sustainability- all these should be positively answered by your vote. 

tarynquen33
by Member on Jul. 19, 2009 at 12:55 AM
this guy has got to be right down the street from where I live. Where what town? This is my husbands cup of tea.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured