Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

OK ladies, let's try something new here shall we? How about we discuss Abortion, in one central location, instead of clogging other posts, where it has no bearing.

So, tell me ladies, where do you stand on this issue, and why?

The way I see it, isn't necessarily the way you see it. Or the way it is, or ought to be. What's more important, is that we're all looking for it, and a way to see it.

Desi DeNardo (via Starbucks coffee cup)

by on Jul. 20, 2009 at 12:51 PM
Replies (171-177):
jaxTheMom
by on Jul. 20, 2009 at 10:16 PM

and, on that note, I'm out.  Y'all just keep sitting around deciding what you think should happen to other women's bodies, but you'll never get my daughters - I'll fight to keep them safe.

I'm fucking done with this topic tonight.

Kassie09
by Member on Jul. 21, 2009 at 11:08 AM

I am completely against abortion!

blinkie_ilovemygirlspink.gifblinkie_happilymarried_pink.giffullmom.gif image by Venus853

margroc
by on Jul. 21, 2009 at 11:16 AM

Quoting jaxTheMom:

and, on that note, I'm out.  Y'all just keep sitting around deciding what you think should happen to other women's bodies, but you'll never get my daughters - I'll fight to keep them safe.

I'm fucking done with this topic tonight.

clappinghugs

KairisMama
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2009 at 5:24 PM

The study actually said the reasons were SELFISH????????? No dear, that's your JUDGEMENT talking. As for protection, (since you seem to like studies) according to the CDC over 65% of those who abort got pregnant due to failed contraceptive.

I still say you are a hypocrite. You want potential babies conceived via consensual sex to live, but screw potential babies conceived via rape. You are about punishing a woman for sex from what I am reading. ::shrugs:: You don't really have a pro choice or pro life stance.

Quoting rocklovinggirl:

If a women was raped, it was not her choice to have sex nor get pregnant. Why should she have to live with a reminder of what happened to her? I have been a victim of rape as a child and let me say it is something I can never forget and having a baby around from the rapists would probably make it worse. I could understand why someone might want to get rid of a baby-I personally would think adoption would be a better choice but as I started earlier, they did not want sex so if they get pregnant, it is not their fault. 
In a study in 2004, 74 percent of women aborted for SELFISH reasons-which is most abortions. Only 2 person were for rape. Less than 1 percent for incest. And very few were for medical reasons. What were these selfish reasons? I didn't get to finish college... I won't get to live life the way I want too... etc. so yes, many abortions are for selfish reasons and that is what I find wrong. It is not hypocritical, it is understanding that sometimes there should be a choice-but most of the time, the option is used as birth control! If you don't use protection and get pregnant, it is not the baby's fault -so why should you kill it?

DevilDuckie
by on Jul. 21, 2009 at 5:27 PM

The Medicaid system in my state (MA) covers abortions.  You have to be in a twilight state though.  They will not pay for you to be fully unconscious unless medically necessary.

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting Eilish:
Quoting bakebiscotti:

Abortion is a procedure that should remain an issue between a woman and her doctor

Then why is it paid for and promoted by the government and tax dollars. Why is it an integral part of government health care. If you want your medical procedures to remain between you and your doctor, then you should be fighting UHC tooth and nail.

Who told you it was paid for by the government and tax dollars? Mine wasn't.

hsteele
by on Jul. 21, 2009 at 6:48 PM

So even for medical reasons, when the mothers life is without a doubt at risk, or the child will not survive past birth you are completely against it. How about when a child is raped by her father or brother? I also wonder how someone who sees the after life as absolute paradise and the soul of a child free from sin and gauranteed entrance to heaven can consider it an atrocity for a baby who would otherwise suffer because of major birth defects or be forced to live in abusive foster homes or starve on the streets, to enter paradise?How about a child who is the product of rape? You can give her up for adoption but she goes looking for her birth parents and finds out the origins of her conception? I am not a fan of abortion, contrary to what some would think of pro choicers. I believe there should be more education on abortions handed out by well informed Drs. I am leaning towards a belief that those having abortions should seek counseling before abortion and that minors should have to tell their parents. Although I am unsure about this since there are dangerous situations where this might not be possible. I think that the number of abortions for non medical reasons should be decreased through education and support. I would also like to see some of these anti choice proponents start adopting these unwanted babies that they think rape victims and those who choose abortion because they cannot care for a baby should carry and then give up to the state to care for. 

I

Quoting Eilish:

Quoting aidans_mama:

Quoting Eilish:

Personally Opposed to Abortion, but Pro-choice?

Many people say, "I'm not pro-abortion, but I'm pro-choice."

But how would you respond to someone who said, "I'm not pro-rape, I'm just pro-choice about rape"? You'd realize his position implies that rape doesn't really hurt anyone, and that it's sometimes justifiable. You'd say, "To be pro-choice about rape is to be pro-rape."

In exactly the same way, to be pro-choice about abortion is to be pro-abortion.

At first glance the bumpersticker slogan makes sense: "Against Abortion? Don't Have One." The logic applies perfectly to flying planes, playing football, or eating pizza...but not to rape, torture, kidnapping or murder.

A Middle Position?

Some imagine that being personally opposed to abortion, while believing others have the right to choose it, is some kind of compromise between the pro-abortion and pro-life positions. It isn't. Pro-choice people vote the same as pro-abortion people. To the baby who dies it makes no difference whether those who refused to protect her were pro-abortion or "merely" pro-choice about abortion.

The only good reason to oppose abortion is a reason that compels us to oppose others doing it-it's child killing. Being personally against abortion but favoring another's right to abortion is self-contradictory. It's exactly like saying, "I'm personally against child abuse, but I defend my neighbor's right to abuse his child if that is his choice." Or "I'm personally against slave-owning, but if others want to own slaves that's none of my business." Or, "I'm not personally in favor of wife-beating, but I don't want to impose my morality on others, so I'm pro-choice about wife-beating."

A radio talk show host told me she was offended that some people called her "pro-abortion" instead of "pro-choice." I asked her, on the air, "Why don't you want to be called pro-abortion? Is there something wrong with abortion?" She responded, "Abortion is tough. It's not like anybody really wants one." I said, "I don't get it. What makes it tough? Why wouldn't someone want an abortion?" She said, suddenly impassioned, "Well, you know, it's a tough thing to kill your baby!"

The second she said it, she caught herself, but it was too late. In an unguarded moment she'd revealed what she knew, what everyone knows if they'll only admit it: abortion is difficult for the same reason it's wrong-because it's killing a child.

And there's no reason good enough for killing a child.

( Randy Alcorn, adapted from Why ProLife? [Sisters, OR: Multnomah Publishers, 2004])

people make choices, they should be allowed to, whether or not we agree with their decisions.  by saying 'pro abortion', that to me, means that we only support abortions and that is so far from the truth.  i support choice, i do not see this as only supporting abortion, but if someone else does, that is their choice, i am at the point in my life where i don't care what other people think.   

abortion = murder .... can you support someone else murdering even if you don't support it personally? The logic doesn't follow.

Heather
Proud Pagan Momma

"Fighting for Peace is like screwing for virginity."

hsteele
by on Jul. 21, 2009 at 6:51 PM

THis is one of the things that always drives me crazy. these same people always argue about the rights of the fetus and how they should have the right to live. Under this reasoning i always ask why does a feuts conceived consenually, have more right to live than those conceived via rape?

Quoting KairisMama:

You want potential babies conceived via consensual sex to live, but screw potential babies conceived via rape.

Quoting rocklovinggirl:

If a women was raped, it was not her choice to have sex nor get pregnant. Why should she have to live with a reminder of what happened to her? I have been a victim of rape as a child and let me say it is something I can never forget and having a baby around from the rapists would probably make it worse. I could understand why someone might want to get rid of a baby-I personally would think adoption would be a better choice but as I started earlier, they did not want sex so if they get pregnant, it is not their fault. 
In a study in 2004, 74 percent of women aborted for SELFISH reasons-which is most abortions. Only 2 person were for rape. Less than 1 percent for incest. And very few were for medical reasons. What were these selfish reasons? I didn't get to finish college... I won't get to live life the way I want too... etc. so yes, many abortions are for selfish reasons and that is what I find wrong. It is not hypocritical, it is understanding that sometimes there should be a choice-but most of the time, the option is used as birth control! If you don't use protection and get pregnant, it is not the baby's fault -so why should you kill it?

Heather
Proud Pagan Momma

"Fighting for Peace is like screwing for virginity."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)