Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

School Uniforms: Good Idea or Bad Idea?

Posted by on Jul. 20, 2009 at 5:10 PM
  • 39 Replies

We had to deal with them when the kids went to private school; the good thing was that they were fairly inexpensive and they only had to try on one of each peice to know what size I needed to make their wardrobe.  The bummer was that by the time I finally had a moment to school shop, everything in thier common sizes were gone and I had to go to several different stores in several different towns...lol. 

I recently heard that the public school district of the city we just moved out of is going to a school dress code that consists of only khaki shorts that come to the knees or long pants, belt, and polo shirts.  (In other words:  uniform.) 

The public school district of the small town we live in now hasn't even considered going to a dress code or uniform.

Does the public school district in your city enforce a strict dress code or uniform?  How do you feel about school uniforms for public school students?  Would you feel differently about uniforms for private schools?

by on Jul. 20, 2009 at 5:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Jul. 20, 2009 at 5:12 PM

I would love for my kids school to go to school uniforms, it would make it so much easier on me.

The school does maintain a dress code.

shecallsmemom04
by on Jul. 20, 2009 at 5:14 PM

neutral.

i'm not really sure what the purpose is for them really.  we have a private school that does uniforms, and a public school that does not.  both schools are pretty much the same.  really doesn't make a difference.

dogs are my people.  i fight for them, i cry for them, i pray for them, i help them, i talk to them, i rescue them, i hug them, i love them, i raise their spirits, i bring them back to life, i foster, i adopt, i put the worthless 2 legged beings who abuse and neglect them behind bars.  i am their halo, and they are mine. 

PLEASE....have a heart, adopt, do not support backyard breeders or pet stores who sell puppies, do not sell your animals on craiglist...they are not the old sofa, spay and neuter, report animal abuse, donate, volunteer your time, obey laws, teach your children respect towards animals, do your part in the fight against animal cruelty.

Suzys_monkees
by on Jul. 20, 2009 at 5:15 PM

All the Charter and Parochial schools in my area have uniforms.  I don't have a problem with them.

aimige
by on Jul. 20, 2009 at 5:16 PM

We love them and we order from French Toast.com so they always have my kids sizes.

rayzensun
by on Jul. 20, 2009 at 5:17 PM

there are dozens reasons on why they are a good idea!

no competiveness with other girls/boys

no argueing in the morning

it helps them learn the difference between play time and school time

dozens!

Talee
by Gold Member on Jul. 20, 2009 at 5:18 PM

My daugher's charter does them...I think it's great to be honest...easy for me, also there isn't this huge attention to naem brand labels etc.

MinstrelMommy
by on Jul. 20, 2009 at 5:18 PM

Hm, I wish I'd have known about that website a few years back when my kids were in the private school...that would have been handy...lol

I even had to hurry up and make the skirts for my girls at that time.  :-)  (I didn't have time for that either - I had pulled a couple all-nighters.)

Quoting aimige:

We love them and we order from French Toast.com so they always have my kids sizes.

rayzensun
by on Jul. 20, 2009 at 5:18 PM

... the girls aren't wearing slutty clothes and making your dd want to or your son not pay attention...

caitandcarasmom
by Member on Jul. 20, 2009 at 5:20 PM

My daughter attends a public charter school and has to wear a uniform.  I have a love/hate relationship with them.  I love them because it makes school shopping easy--khaki or navy blue bottoms and shirts must be purchased from the school. I hate them because for some reason uniform pieces are most expensive than "casual" clothing unless you happen to catch a sale. 

I do like the fact that uniforms end a lot of the competition and stereotyping that can exist in schools over who's wearing what brand, etc.

Our public schools have free dress but a pretty strict dress code.  All parchoial & charters schools here have uniforms. 

shecallsmemom04
by on Jul. 20, 2009 at 5:27 PM

Quoting rayzensun:

there are dozens reasons on why they are a good idea!

no competiveness with other girls/boysreally? i find that hard to believe.  kids compete.  it's a fact of life.  and i know for a fact there's still competiveness in our private school.

no argueing in the morningi'm the parent, my children comprehend that, there is no arguing in the morning.  we also set out clothes the night before, and i allow my daughter to help pick them out.

it helps them learn the difference between play time and school timewe have no school uniforms, i have managed to teach that myself...LOL.

dozens!

i guess it's just how you view it.  i'm not against them, i just really see no need for them.  kids need structure, disapline, rountine...and that starts at home.  if a girl is going to be "slutty" then she will be, with or without a uniform.  your clothes don't necessarily make you "slutty".  if a boy is going to lose focus over a girl, he will, uniform or not, those hormones are raging...LOL.  if parents can't teach their children how to dress, not to argue, and what the difference between playtime and school time is, themselves...there's a problem.  i don't need to put a uniform on my children to instill any of those things in them.

dogs are my people.  i fight for them, i cry for them, i pray for them, i help them, i talk to them, i rescue them, i hug them, i love them, i raise their spirits, i bring them back to life, i foster, i adopt, i put the worthless 2 legged beings who abuse and neglect them behind bars.  i am their halo, and they are mine. 

PLEASE....have a heart, adopt, do not support backyard breeders or pet stores who sell puppies, do not sell your animals on craiglist...they are not the old sofa, spay and neuter, report animal abuse, donate, volunteer your time, obey laws, teach your children respect towards animals, do your part in the fight against animal cruelty.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)