Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

School Uniforms: Good Idea or Bad Idea?

Posted by   + Show Post

We had to deal with them when the kids went to private school; the good thing was that they were fairly inexpensive and they only had to try on one of each peice to know what size I needed to make their wardrobe.  The bummer was that by the time I finally had a moment to school shop, everything in thier common sizes were gone and I had to go to several different stores in several different towns...lol. 

I recently heard that the public school district of the city we just moved out of is going to a school dress code that consists of only khaki shorts that come to the knees or long pants, belt, and polo shirts.  (In other words:  uniform.) 

The public school district of the small town we live in now hasn't even considered going to a dress code or uniform.

Does the public school district in your city enforce a strict dress code or uniform?  How do you feel about school uniforms for public school students?  Would you feel differently about uniforms for private schools?

by on Jul. 20, 2009 at 5:10 PM
Replies (31-39):
Kassie09
by Member on Jul. 21, 2009 at 11:05 AM

My daughters are starting a Catholic school this fall...and they do uniforms.I think they are great.I do believe that they keep the competitiveness down between kids,etc.

blinkie_ilovemygirlspink.gifblinkie_happilymarried_pink.giffullmom.gif image by Venus853

morningdove831
by on Jul. 21, 2009 at 11:22 AM

My DS goes to public school but they wear uniforms.  White, red or navy polo shirts, and khaki or navy pants.  I love uniforms for school kids.  It cuts way down on the kids picking on each other just because of the clothes they wear (and yes, we all know kids do this to each other).  It also makes buying school clothes MUCH easier.  I'm all for uniforms. 

And personally, I wish we had them when I was growing up.  My mom chose to stay home and because of that we didn't have as much money as some of the kids I went to school with.  And this was back in the day when Wal-Mart clothes were ugly and NO ONE wore them.  I was made fun of SOOOOO much because my parents couldn't afford the nicer stuff. 

Jamie1972
by on Jul. 21, 2009 at 12:25 PM

lived in sacramento the boys had to wear a uniform blue or white tops black or blue pants. and i loved it. 3 pairs of sweat pands and a packag of fruit of loom t-shirts and we were done. ok i did get them jeans and some regular shirts but when it gets hot those t-shirts came in handy. now that we live in southern cali they dont have a uniform here. i hate it. it takes up to 10 minuets per child to pick out what they want to wera to school.and i have 3. i do this the night before so they get to school on time.

texasmom01
by on Jul. 21, 2009 at 2:08 PM

I am fine with uniforms.  What makes me mad is that in our school district it is up the schools if they are uniform are not.  I think  uniforms should be school district wide.  When my son was in pre-K he went to a uniform school and when we moved his new school was not uniform.  So we had to figure out clothes quick.  Also now where we live the Elementary school is no uniform, but their Jr. High is and then the High School is not.  That is what I do not like.  I like the uniforms, and I think they look good.

Felicia Decker

http://www.safe4myfamily.com

LETS GO GREEN

momoftwins240
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2009 at 3:12 PM

I think that all schools (private or public) shoud require uniforms. In more disadvantaged neighborhoods it would cut down on violence related to trying to steal someones $100 tennis shoes and in better off neighborhoods it would stop all the bullying about non-designer labels. 

supermomofgirls
by Member on Jul. 21, 2009 at 3:13 PM

Yes some elmentary schools are going to uniforms. My Elizabeth will have to wear a uniform next year. in Kindergarten.

Pepperlynns
by on Jul. 21, 2009 at 3:15 PM

my kids dont wear uniforms..the school district wants to be able to express them self and not conform...

I'm a 30 yr old mom to 3 kids 9,7,5 yrs old..Wife to  the greatest man in the world of 11 yrs..SAHM..Not looking or giving advice on how to raise MY/YOUR kids..I'm a smoker,a toker,a social gulper..We live in Texas..Im spiritual,anti-gun,non-organic,swearing,President respecting woman..We make good money and buy American made products..

wanna make money? CLICK ME!!!!

MattisMommy08
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2009 at 3:21 PM

It depends on the school.  In middles school the kids had to wear tennis shoes and white socks.   That was the only guideline, except I did hear that now they have changed it to all black tennis shoes.

High school (the one I went to) was VERY liberal - for a private, catholic, all girls' college prepatory.  I wore any kind of shoe I wanted as long as it had a back (I think that was per OSHA).  We could even dye our hair funky colors.  Well, okay, freshman year we could.  I had a different color hair weekly.... red, pink, blue, green, yellow, white, you name it.  Needless to say, my sophomore year, they changed that rule to say it had to be a natural hair color.... so after that I just stuck to red, white, brown, and every shade in between =)

Shoes... there were days I wore 4 inch pumps, there were days I wore my Vans... the fav in the winter amoung students is getting brightly colored toe socks and wearing them with sandals!

And just to say... wearing a uniform made NO effect what so ever on me about the world being fair or everyone being equal.  It provided us with ways to make ourselves different and gaining attention without wearing slutty clothes, or designer names.  I don't think that is a negative effect at all!!!  In fact, I think that it only made us better people by not having to rely on what we wear to define ourselves as a person

Quoting SylviaNCali:

To the people who send the kids to a school with dress codes. Do the kids get to wear any kind of shoes? 

Click my logo to see my site!

ellieemc2
by on Jul. 21, 2009 at 5:26 PM

I'm all for them!  This way everybody is the same and clothes are not the main reason for school. Back when I went, popularity was decided by who wore the latest fads and had the most outfits and whatever you wore to school decided which classification you were put into. I saw kids ridiculed because of what they wore. Nowadays, it's dictated by designer duds and kids actually get into fights over who has them and who doesn't. to the point where some kids demand to steal the clothes off sombody who has what they want and can't aford. Nuff said!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)