Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

caring for the uninsured

Posted by on Jul. 20, 2009 at 5:59 PM
  • 50 Replies

http://amfix.blogs.cnn.com/2009/07/20/caring-for-the-uninsured/ <------ click here to watch video

July 20, 2009
Posted: 11:50 AM ET
Jim Acosta - Correspondent, CNN's American Morning
Filed under: Health

It’s a startling statistic. 47 million Americans with no health insurance. Where do they go to get treatment? In many cases, they rely on charities like the one we profiled: Remote Area Medical, based in Knoxville, Tennessee. The organization sets up free health care events all over the country. We visited one in the small town of Newport, Tennessee in the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains.

It was held at the local high school. And before sunrise, people were lining up in wheelchairs and holding babies for a chance to receive medical, dental and eye care at no cost. We met one man whose blood pressure was so high, doctors said he was on the verge of having a stroke.

The organization was founded by Stan Brock, who once appeared regularly on the hit wildlife adventure program “Wild America.” Now he leads what he calls “medical expeditions” in remote parts of the U.S. where you’ll find scores of Americans with little or no health insurance. The demand is so great in the U.S., Brock says, he’s had to cut back on his expeditions to places like Haiti and Guatemala.

The services and equipment are all covered by donations to the organization. And many of the doctors, dentists, and nurses on-hand fly in from across the country on their own dime. Later this summer, Remote Area will be holding events in Southwestern Virginia, on an Indian Reservation in Utah and in Los Angeles where the group expects over ten thousand patients.

While Washington is debating national health care reform, Brock is calling on governors across the country to change little-known laws that stop many doctors from practicing outside of their home states. Tennessee, he says, is one of the few places where any doctor or dentist can fly in from other states to heal the uninsured.

by on Jul. 20, 2009 at 5:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
athenax3
by on Jul. 20, 2009 at 6:06 PM

It is clearly a problem that needs some sort of addressing- I'm not saying I know what the answer is or that Obama does either for that matter- but the reality is as a society we need to really look at this issue and what it is doing to and costing our nation-

PamR
by Pam on Jul. 20, 2009 at 6:08 PM
This area of the country, Appalachia, is really hard hit by lack of health care. My husband is from E. Tennessee and we spend a good bit of time up there. The poverty in some areas is really hard to imagine. You can look at people and see what lack of good medical care in their lives results in. I don't know exactly what we should do to change our current situation, but it's just wrong for people in this country to go without basic medical care.
emilysmom1966
by Silver Member on Jul. 20, 2009 at 6:13 PM

The first thing that comes to mind when I saw this was- THIRD WORLD COUNTRY! I mean, this is the United States of America !!! Wow and people are bitching about , who's gonna pay for this. Look at these people. A country also has to take some responsibility for their people. When is is too much, too much?

athenax3
by on Jul. 20, 2009 at 6:23 PM

Quoting emilysmom1966:

The first thing that comes to mind when I saw this was- THIRD WORLD COUNTRY! I mean, this is the United States of America !!! Wow and people are bitching about , who's gonna pay for this. Look at these people. A country also has to take some responsibility for their people. When is is too much, too much?

And that is really the crux of it- health care for all citizens, BUT at the expense of the almighty dollar in a capitalist society.....it is quite the dilemma. But I personally find it appalling that a nation as great as ours has failed to find a resolution to this situation long before now- but also admit that perhaps our selfish, dollar worshipping ways are in some facets one of the very reasons we are one of the most successful, albeit also one of the most detested and reviled, nations on the map...something to ponder for sure.....

Eilish
by on Jul. 20, 2009 at 6:27 PM

*Raises hand* Just because some of us are uninsured doesn't mean that we want you (or the government) to insure us. My healthcare is my responsibility. I don't want you paying for it, or the government sticking their nose in it.

emilysmom1966
by Silver Member on Jul. 20, 2009 at 6:40 PM

I am sorry- I am about to say something that is sooo out of character for me- What the hell crawled up you butt and died? Were you potty trained at gun point?  have you no compassion for anyone but your self? You know what, you better pray that when you go to the hospital you are being care for by someone like this democratic, tree hugging, Obama loving, compassionate nurse. People sing a different song when they are in that hospital bed.

Quoting Eilish:

*Raises hand* Just because some of us are uninsured doesn't mean that we want you (or the government) to insure us. My healthcare is my responsibility. I don't want you paying for it, or the government sticking their nose in it.

Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Jul. 20, 2009 at 6:42 PM

I am with Eilish.  It is my responsibilty to manage my healthcare not anyone elses.

Quoting emilysmom1966:

I am sorry- I am about to say something that is sooo out of character for me- What the hell crawled up you butt and died? Were you potty trained at gun point?  have you no compassion for anyone but your self? You know what, you better pray that when you go to the hospital you are being care for by someone like this democratic, tree hugging, Obama loving, compassionate nurse. People sing a different song when they are in that hospital bed.

Quoting Eilish:

emilysmom1966
by Silver Member on Jul. 20, 2009 at 6:44 PM

If you have a pre-existing illness you wiull not get healthcare- from anyone. Did you watch the video??? I don't expect you to agree with me but at least watch the video.....

Quoting Peanutx3:

I am with Eilish.  It is my responsibilty to manage my healthcare not anyone elses.

Quoting emilysmom1966:

Quoting Eilish:

DevilDuckie
by on Jul. 20, 2009 at 6:49 PM

Hmmm has anyone heard of the experiment being done in MA. 

EVERYONE must have insurance !

As of the first of this year every single MA resident was legally obligated to obtain insurance.  If you do not have insurance available for one reason or another you can apply for the state insurance (Medicaid).  But there are several forms of it and some have payment plans.

I worked for an oral surgeon doing billing when this started.  I had people flood in with broken jaws that had healed incorrectly.  The couldn't talk and were eating with straws.  It was heartbreaking.  People would come in crying with happiness that they could receive medical treatment now.

I have seen the healthcare system get a make over and I am very happy with the outcome.  Healthier people means healthier employees and less missed time at work.  So people are more likely to keep their jobs. 

The mentally ill can now receive their treatments and medications and that makes for a better area to live in.  That includes sex offenders that are now able to get medications voluntarily to kill off their sex drive.

People NEED healthcare.  It is a necessary part of life like food and water and shelter.  I hope the entire country makes a change for the good of our people.

Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Jul. 20, 2009 at 6:49 PM

I can't watch the video at work. 

I don't think we need government run healthcare but I do think they need to write some laws for the health insurance companies and do away with the notion of "pre-existing" conditions.  I just don't think government run healthcare is the answer to the problem of insurance companies.

Quoting emilysmom1966:

If you have a pre-existing illness you wiull not get healthcare- from anyone. Did you watch the video??? I don't expect you to agree with me but at least watch the video.....

Quoting Peanutx3:

Quoting emilysmom1966:

Quoting Eilish:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN