Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

DOES the increased numbers in home foreclosures effecting the place you live?

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2009 at 9:18 AM
  • 8 Replies
THE SITUATION WITH THE HOUSING MARKET is starting to effect different areas in Dallas TX...AND when jobs are getting lost ...and people can not pay their house payments foreclosures are inevitable...but who pays for the cost to upkeep the property who might end up close to your house?and what happens when they are pools in these homes on foreclosure who are full of polluted water...and green algae..and smell horrible...HOW Big OF A PROBLEM FORECLOSURE HOMES ARE IN YOUR AREA?
Joanna...
by on Jul. 21, 2009 at 9:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MAUREEN55
by Member on Jul. 21, 2009 at 9:42 AM

Right in my neighborhood it's not an issue. Most of the people have lived here long before prices skyrocketed so my neighbors still owe less the homes are worth and can keep up with things.

My mom lives in a more expensive development of about 50-60 houses.  In the past two years at least of 4 of them have been foreclosed.  She's trying to sell her house and is having a tough time because short sales are listed so low and one house that did sale went for very little because it was in horrible condition.  People expect to pay the same for my mom's house which is in great condition.

The pool issue was in the news last week.  I life in FL so lots of the houses have pools.  I young child ended up in the pool of a foreclosed home.  I don't think they even came close to drowning, but the parents were all over the news talking law suits. I'm not sure why they think it's someone else's fault their 3 year old was wandering the neighborhood unsupervised. 

Anyway, the news coverage talked about the pools being unsanitary and a breeding ground for mosquitoes.  Some of the banks were putting fish in the pools to kill the larva. 

Athena01426
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2009 at 1:10 PM
We live in an expensive housing area and too many homes are going on foreclosure...The TEXAN'S thought that inflation will not hit the Dallas area BUT it DID to the point people are packing overnight and take everything with them..appliances.garage doors...because are mad for loosing their home...
Joanna...
Pepperlynns
by on Jul. 21, 2009 at 1:16 PM

I live in East Texas and its not bad here..neighborhoods are still full...other than getting on CM i wouldnt know we had a economic problem

I'm a 30 yr old mom to 3 kids 9,7,5 yrs old..Wife to  the greatest man in the world of 11 yrs..SAHM..Not looking or giving advice on how to raise MY/YOUR kids..I'm a smoker,a toker,a social gulper..We live in Texas..Im spiritual,anti-gun,non-organic,swearing,President respecting woman..We make good money and buy American made products..

wanna make money? CLICK ME!!!!

tericared
by on Jul. 21, 2009 at 1:23 PM

We have a few homes on our street that are abandoned[ foreclosure ],,,no one takes care of the yards, and one has a large pond that is just awful, the one across the street from me does get the grass cut by every one taking turns.... 

WImom2
by Silver Member on Jul. 21, 2009 at 1:46 PM

My immediate area is fine. The next town over had a mill close and they are NOT fine. The city keeps up the properties, sometimes the real estate companies do to. Some of the other people in town have been buying up the abandon properties- just to not see them sit and rot. We only have one large local bank- it is an everyone knows everyone thing here. Our banker will call and ask if you would like to buy "said" property. He called after my husband helped a family OUT of foreclosure- my husband has done so three times in 6 months. THREE families, all the same story- the mill closed. The bank calls and dh writes a check. It is our way to help. We DO NOT want to own any more property here.

Talee
by Gold Member on Jul. 21, 2009 at 2:20 PM

My neighborhood is full of foreclosed and empty homes. We live in Phoenix, most of the yards are graveled in anyway...there are some weeds...

This might sound harsh but many of the people that owned these homes never maintained them and they looked pretty shabby. I am noticing many of those getting fixed up and put on the market, so in a way it is a good thing where I live.

Mom2LiamNMolly
by Member on Jul. 21, 2009 at 2:24 PM
We don't have a single foreclosure in our subdivision right now, although there are about 100 in the County right now... and there are about 19,000 residents in the County. We actually lost a rental home to foreclosure because of really bad practices on the part of Countrywide (and we are trying to sue them now)....

proud-mom-two-kids.gif                                                                         Stefanie - Mom to Irish Twins Liam 7/07 (IUGR) and Molly 06/08 (IUGR,  Developmental Delays, Pre-Natal Stroke) and Wife to Mark since 2006.

Athena01426
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2009 at 2:41 PM
It is very sad that people have to leave their homes because of hard economic times...and I HAVE noticed in our area the housing prices are coming down...because they were inflated to begin with...of course with the job losses there is no way to tell where is the best place to relocate...
Joanna...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)