Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should incest between consenting adults be legal?

Posted by   + Show Post

Incest generally refers to any sexual activity between closely related persons (often within the immediate family). The type of sexual activity and the nature of the relationship vary in different societies.

Some societies consider it to include only those who live in the same household, or who belong to the same clan or lineage; other societies consider it to include "blood relatives"; other societies further include those related by adoption or marriage.

Do consenting adults have a right to engage in whatever relationships they choose? Do incestuous relationships often violate the principle of consent due to complicated past family dynamics? Can incest be morally sound, possibly in cases of genuine love between incestuous couples? Should social norms of morality even determine the legality of incest? Does incest harm the institution of marriage? Are there significant risks for the offspring of incestuous couples? Do incestuous relationships follow from disproportionate power-dynamics within a family? Do the overall pros and cons suggest that legalizing adult incest is good public policy?

by on Jul. 21, 2009 at 11:38 AM
Replies (11-16):
coledon
by New Member on Jul. 21, 2009 at 2:23 PM

As bad as I hate to admit this my aunt had a baby with her first cousin...I don't think it was by her choice. Either way my cousin has a lot of medical/mental issues & they think it is due to the incest. I guess as an adult you can do as you like but I would say no I don't think it should be legal. Even if the adults are consenting think of the child trying to explain that thier mom is aslo thier cousin or something. The child would have no say in it but would be the one tormented. I just dont' think its right, just my opinion though.

To the first reply where in WV is he from?

CafeMom Tickers
Stefanie1085
by Silver Member on Jul. 21, 2009 at 2:29 PM

Well I know how complicated families can be, and this seems like it would be VERY complicated to sort through. There is factual evidence that offspring from incestual relationships have lots of genetic problems. Were it not for this, as much as I am thinking ewwwwww, I would say that it should not be illegal if it is consensual, adult relationships. But the repercussions to offspring is too great, IMO, to legalize it. 

WImom2
by Silver Member on Jul. 21, 2009 at 2:31 PM

I 100% think it needs to stay illegal. In college my older cousin got VERY drunk and confessed his "love" to me. I ran like hell- literaly. I have not spoken to him in YEARS now. I never told anyone, and our entire family still wonders why we do not talk. I think it is wrong, and honeslty I just do not get it at all. YUCK!

luvmygrndhg
by on Jul. 21, 2009 at 2:34 PM

Technically not incest but funny:

~*~Peace and blessings~*~
humanjunglegym
by on Jul. 21, 2009 at 2:46 PM

I'm curious if everyone who says that incest causes serious genetic/birth defects has actually done any research on it? (with the exception of the one lady who gave some:))

canthaveboys1
by on Jul. 21, 2009 at 2:48 PM

Quoting margroc:

All I can think of is

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

This.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured