Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Just some facts...

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2009 at 12:47 PM
  • 10 Replies

I consider that Universal Health Care is a fundamental right of modern and prosperous societies. United States is the only developed country without universal health care system. It is a logical connection between poor performance of American health system and the failed market-based current system.

In order to have a look on how 'well' USA is ranked among developed countries regarding health care go to:

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2091rank.html

(worst in infant mortality among developed countries)

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2102rank.html

(worst in life expectancy among developed countries)

- www.commonwealthfund.org/publications/publications_show.htm?doc_id=692682

I prefer having informed fellow citizens and not open. So, to see how other developed countries organized good government-run systems in health care please visit:

-http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/sickaroundtheworld/

As well, to see which problems face working and responsible Americans please watch:

-http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/sickaroundamerica/view/
-www.pbs.org/pov/pov2008/criticalcondition/

Get informed. Do not hear scary tactics from big health care business.

Thank you.

I'm a 30 yr old mom to 3 kids 9,7,5 yrs old..Wife to  the greatest man in the world of 11 yrs..SAHM..Not looking or giving advice on how to raise MY/YOUR kids..I'm a smoker,a toker,a social gulper..We live in Texas..Im spiritual,anti-gun,non-organic,swearing,President respecting woman..We make good money and buy American made products..

wanna make money? CLICK ME!!!!

by on Jul. 21, 2009 at 12:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyOnLI
by on Jul. 21, 2009 at 12:56 PM

i dont agree... bc regardless if you have health ins or not ERs cannot turn you away.

sappharie
by Member on Jul. 21, 2009 at 1:02 PM

people are dieing from just going to the ERS NOT GETTING THE  PROPER TREATMENT YOU NEED THE HEALTH CARE

Quotin g MommyOnLI:

i dont agree... bc regardless if you have health ins or not ERs cannot turn you away.

Pepperlynns
by on Jul. 21, 2009 at 1:09 PM

Local Hospital’s New Policy Of Turning Patients Away Upsets Some

Posted: 6:28 pm EDT May 12, 2009
ROCK HILL, S.C. -- Diana Burgess of Rock Hill went to the emergency room at Piedmont Medical Center last month with severe pain in her side."The doctors came in and just basically said they weren't going to do anything for me," she said. The ER doctors determined that the pain Burgess was suffering was not an emergency and didn't require immediate care. President and CEO of Piedmont Medical Center Charlie Miller explained the policy this way: "it is an emergency room, not a primary care clinic." "We think it's had a positive impact on wait times," Miller said. "Two-hundred to 250 people a month are leaving to see their primary care doctor instead." Hospital officials also said patient care is better when they can see a doctor outside of the hospital and form a relationship, rather than using the emergency room as their doctor. However, people like Burgess, who doesn't have any health insurance, said she can't afford to see a regular doctor. "I just left there crying," she said. "I was hurting too. I was really feeling bad. "Miller said the hospital does what is required by law, which means doing a medical screening for every person who comes into the ER. Then doctors determine if their condition requires immediate emergency care.

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/19443113/detail.html

Quoting MommyOnLI:

I'm a 30 yr old mom to 3 kids 9,7,5 yrs old..Wife to  the greatest man in the world of 11 yrs..SAHM..Not looking or giving advice on how to raise MY/YOUR kids..I'm a smoker,a toker,a social gulper..We live in Texas..Im spiritual,anti-gun,non-organic,swearing,President respecting woman..We make good money and buy American made products..

MrsRStewart
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2009 at 1:09 PM

It is not just about "scare tactics".  This bill is scary.  You should be worried.  In countries with socialized medicine, they can turn you away for any reason.  Here in the US, the doctors cannot refuse care for a medical emergency.  Yes, there are problems with our system, but the solution is not letting the government take control.

A lot of the problem with the high morality rate is because people in the US refuse to take care of themselves.  They will not go to the doctor until they are sick, they do not exercise, they do not eat good.  It has nothing to do with the quality of health insurance. 

a wedding website

tericared
by on Jul. 21, 2009 at 1:13 PM

Quoting MommyOnLI:

Only so much the ER can do..I was there again last night with my daughter, she had problems with injuring her growth plates, 2 weeks ago the ankle last night the wrist,,,we get x-rays and have to be seen by another doctor, for a fracture mind you,,,,,an ER is just that an emergency room...

tericared
by on Jul. 21, 2009 at 1:15 PM

Quoting MrsRStewart:

It is not just about "scare tactics".  This bill is scary.  You should be worried.  In countries with socialized medicine, they can turn you away for any reason.  Here in the US, the doctors cannot refuse care for a medical emergency.  Yes, there are problems with our system, but the solution is not letting the government take control.

A lot of the problem with the high morality rate is because people in the US refuse to take care of themselves.  They will not go to the doctor until they are sick, they do not exercise, they do not eat good.  It has nothing to do with the quality of health insurance. 

what do you consider a medical emergency? Would you think a broken wrist on a 7 year old would be one?

Pepperlynns
by on Jul. 21, 2009 at 1:18 PM

Quoting MrsRStewart:

IF a ER sees someone and the person requires surgery..they wheel the person to the admittance desk, ask for an insurance card or cash monies, and the person has neither, will they still do the surgery?

margroc
by on Jul. 21, 2009 at 2:11 PM

Quoting MrsRStewart:

This:

In countries with socialized medicine, they can turn you away for any reason.

is a crock is not true.   And just an aside - it's the mortality rate not morality rate - LOL  not laughing at you - it's just kind of a funny typo - please note I do acknowledge it as a typo)
Eilish
by on Jul. 21, 2009 at 2:59 PM

Your first problem is thinking that health care is a fundamental right .... it's not.

Pepperlynns
by on Jul. 21, 2009 at 3:03 PM

Quoting Eilish:

Your first problem is thinking that health care is a fundamental right .... it's not.

no its a HUMAN right

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN