Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

I bet Boxer was not expecting this!

BEGIN TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: This afternoon in Washington, DC -- you've gotta hear this -- during an Environmental Public Works committee hearing on "green" jobs, Senator Barbara Boxer had this exchange with the chairman of the National Black Chamber of Commerce.  His name is Harry Alford.  This is how it went.

BOXER:  John Grant, who is the CEO of 100 Black Men of Atlanta, quote: "Clean energy is the key that will unlock millions of jobs and the NAACP's support is vital to ensuring that those jobs help to rebuild urban areas." So clearly there is a diversity of --

ALFORD:   Madam Chair, that is condescending to me.

BOXER: Well, if I... Well --

ALFORD:  I'm the National Black Chamber of Commerce and you're trying to put up some other black group --

BOXER: -- if this --

ALFORD:  -- to pit against me.  That's condescending --

BOXER:  Well, sir --

ALFORD:  -- and I don't like it. It's racial.

BOXER: What's racial?

ALFORD:  I don't like it.

BOXER: Excuse me, sir --

ALFORD:  I take offense to it.

BOXER: Okay.

ALFORD:  As an African American and a veteran of this country. I take offense to that.

BOXER: Offense at the fact that I would quote...?

ALFORD:  You're quoting some other black man. Why don't you quote some other --

BOXER: No.

ALFORD:  -- Asian or somebody.

BOXER: Well, let me be clear --

ALFORD:  I mean, what... You are being racial, here.

BOXER: Okay, let me be clear. Let me be clear.

ALFORD:   And I think you're getting to a path here that's going to explode.

RUSH:  Now, let me translate here what's happening.  The National Black Chamber of Commerce is  not all sold on this "green" energy business, and Barbara Boxer at the Environment and Public Works Committee, a hearing on "green" jobs, starts quoting all these other black groups while the witness at the time is the chairman of the National Black Chamber of Commerce, Harry Alford.  So she starts talking about the CEO of 100 Black Men of Atlanta and then the NAACP support, and how vital that is, and this guy's offended by this. He said, "Other groups over me, other blacks over me? Why don't you talk about Asians? It's racial."  She's clearly stunned by this, Barbara Boxer is not used to people calling her a racist.  He then continues. He was just getting warmed up.

ALFORD:  For someone to tell me -- an African-American, college-educated veteran of the United States Army -- that I must contend with some other black group and put aside everything else in here. This has nothing to do with the NAACP and really has nothing to do with the National Black Chamber of Commerce.  We're talking energy, and that road the chair went down I think is God awful.

RUSH:  Hip hip hooray for this.  We're talking energy. We're not talking racial politics. You're making racial politics. You're trying to sell this on the basis that we need the NAACP. And this guy's got the guts to say they have nothing to do with it.  The NAACP got nothing to do with any energy program.  I guarantee you, Pelosi -- Boxer. I'm sorry. I'm just doing my Sotomayor impersonation here.  Neither of them, Pelosi or Boxer, are used to being called racial and being challenged in that way.

END TRANSCRIPT

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_071609/content/01125114.guest.html

a wedding website

by on Jul. 21, 2009 at 2:16 PM
Replies (21-24):
lilyrose73
by on Jul. 21, 2009 at 5:11 PM
Quoting tericared:

Quoting lilyrose73:

Quoting tericared:

Quoting lilyrose73:

Quoting tericared:

Quoting lilyrose73:

Quoting margroc:

I have to say that I watched the tape and she was very condescending.  I just find it very funny that Fox News is all up in arms about racism. 

Did you watch the O'Reilly clip?  Because O'Reilly said he didn't think it was racism...

of course he would say that

And why exactly is that????

On the September 13, 2005, broadcast of The Radio Factor, O'Reilly claimed that "many of the poor in New Orleans" did not evacuate the city before Hurricane Katrina because "[t]hey were drug-addicted" and "weren't going to get turned off from their source." O'Reilly added, "They were thugs."

http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=1147

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG3M4ScRve8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYmnSRLJkt4

O'Reilly: "I don't want to go on a lynching party against Michelle Obama unless there's evidence, hard facts, that say this is how the woman really feels"

http://mediamatters.org/research/200802200001

And...

If you really need me to spell it out for you,,,you must just be wanting some drama,,,not today and not from me...

I'm asking what your point is because I would hate to put words into your mouth. Don't post things if you don't care to explain their relevance to the post.
teri4lance
by Silver Member on Jul. 21, 2009 at 6:10 PM

Quoting margroc:

Quoting teri4lance:

Quoting margroc:

Quoting teri4lance:

Quoting margroc:

I have to say that I watched the tape and she was very condescending.  I just find it very funny that Fox News is all up in arms about racism. 

because certainly no one could possibly be conservative AND not a racist! to think!

Please don't put words in my mouth - I did NOT say that and I don't appreciate your insinuating that I did.

how else would anyone interpret an observation of a conservative news channel being concerned about racism? I don't need to put the words in your mouth - they are already there.

You most certainly did put words in my mouth - I asked you politely not to do so.  I most certainly do not believe that just because a person is conservative they are racist and you seem to be trying to just start trouble - are you bored perhaps?

well perhaps you can spell out what it is you mean by syaing it's funny that fox is up in arms about racism. since you are so busy getting upset that people see that you appear to think conservatives don't care about racism - which was the obvious implication. by all means, enlighten us.

If you love playing on Pogo join my group http://www.cafemom.com/group/pogoplayersunite

Della529
by Matlock on Jul. 21, 2009 at 6:25 PM

What was said (where is the transcript) prior to this comment by Boxer?  We all know I'm no fan of hers (or Pelosi), so I am being curious.  Could there have been more to it?

Quote:

BOXER:  John Grant, who is the CEO of 100 Black Men of Atlanta, quote: "Clean energy is the key that will unlock millions of jobs and the NAACP's support is vital to ensuring that those jobs help to rebuild urban areas." So clearly there is a diversity of --

And, how could she have been being racial?  Black Men of Atlanta, NAACP, and National Black Chamber of Commerce...HELLO?  Condescending perhaps, but racial??

yiayiaann
by on Jul. 21, 2009 at 6:44 PM

OMG..I JUST LOVED THIS VIDEO..I HAVE SEEN THE CONFRONTATION OVER AND OVER AGAIN..I COULD SEE IT OVER AND OVER AGAIN TOO..FINALLY AN AMERICAN HAD THE  GUTS TO STEP UP AND TELL A SENATOR (SHOULD BE THROWN OUT) BOXER, WHO DOES SHE THINK SHE IS TALKING TO...THIS WOMAN TALKS DOWN TO PEOPLE THAT SHE SHOULD BE LOOKING UP TO...I WANT THIS GENTLEMAN TO BE IN OUR GOVERNMENT..I WOULD VOTE HIM IN, JUST FOR HIS ATTITUDE..I SALUTE YOU MR. ALFORD..happy veterans dayFYI..I AM A SENIOR WHITE WOMAN MINORITY TOO..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN