Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

BOO EFFING HOO-THIS POOR WOMAN........

Posted by   + Show Post

Health Care and Taxes: 10 Worst States for the Rich

These 10 States Could See the Highest Combined Tax Rates If the Health Surtax Becomes Law

By NATHALIE TADENA and ALICE GOMSTYN
July 20, 2009

The health care surtax touted by some members of Congress would bring a heftier tax bill to the richest Americans, but depending on where they live, some will take bigger hits than others.

The richest of the rich in 10 U.S. states could see combined tax rates of more than 54.3 percent if the proposed health care surtax becomes law.
(ABC News Photo Illustration)

Take for instance, Eugenia, a California housewife whose husband works in finance. The Bay Area woman, who asked that her last name not be used, said her husband's income usually tops $1 million per year.

California taxes its top income earners more than 10 percent, meaning that between state taxes, federal taxes, Medicare taxes and the proposed health care surtax, the couple would face a total tax rate of more than 56 percent on part of their income.

"It's very sad, because my husband works almost 12 hours per day and can take only two weeks of vacation, and then he's getting less than half of what he's working for," Eugenia said. "On top of everything, we're going to pay for everybody else's health insurance."

The proposed health care surtax now making its way through Congress is a three-tiered plan requiring a 5.4 percent surtax for couples with an adjusted gross income of more than $1 million and individuals with an AGI of $800,000. Households with an AGI between $350,000 and $500,000 would face a 1 percent surtax and those with an AGI between $500,000 and $1 million would face a 1.5 percent surtax.

According to a report this month by the Tax Foundation, a tax research group based in Washington, D.C., wealthy taxpayers in 39 states could pay a top tax rate higher than 50 percent by 2011. The report combined states' average local tax rates, top state and federal rates with the 2.9 percent Medicare tax and the proposed 5.4 percent health surtax.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=8112679&page=1&cid=yahoo_pitchlist

by on Jul. 27, 2009 at 8:55 PM
Replies (141-150):
anxiousschk
by anxiouss on Jul. 29, 2009 at 7:50 PM

I agree....and honestly...DH and I googled to find out the various brackets and such. 

The 54% was an accurate number.  Anyone making above (this is based on the 2010 tax brackets) $387,000 would have anything above that number taxed at 54%....it was a sliding scale.  I'm sorry, but that is absolutely crazy. 

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Quoting anxiousschk:

I am very dissapointed that grannygoli has not returned.

Me too.  I'm very interested in reading her response.  It has been an invigorating debate so far.

AngieO
by Member on Jul. 29, 2009 at 8:50 PM
so move if you don;t like the tax code.

anxiousschk
by anxiouss on Jul. 29, 2009 at 9:03 PM

How does "move" work as an appropriate response?

Taxes are often raised and there are often "tax rebates" or "tax cuts" for various classes.  Some states have various tax laws. 

Why not fight to change what you don't like?

Mandi3481
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 9:06 PM

Quoting AngieO:

Right... Or how about we just divide the US into 3 seperate countries, one for the Dems, one for the Republicans and one for the rest of us whos  just tired of all the crap done by both groups? Oh right because neither is really realistic, and neither solves the problem.

norwegianwood
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2009 at 11:05 PM

Quoting Mandi3481:

Quoting AngieO:

Right... Or how about we just divide the US into 3 seperate countries, one for the Dems, one for the Republicans and one for the rest of us whos  just tired of all the crap done by both groups? Oh right because neither is really realistic, and neither solves the problem.

bow down

tristinefleming
by New Member on Jul. 30, 2009 at 12:43 PM

What I find comical about this post is that "sweetie00's" icon is a symbol and peace and harmony. So where is that peace and harmony when you think it's okay to punish those who work hard and have what it takes to make their lives a success, and make THEM pay for those who either: 1. don't care to work and don't pay taxes; 2. don't care to make much of thier lives; or 3. possibly don't have the means to do either. Regardless, that doesn't mean ANYONE should HAVE to pay for anyone else's life, lifestyles, and choices.

If this woman's husband makes a million dollars a year, it's their choice where their extra money goes. Most "rich" people are very involved in charities and other forms of "giving" of their choice, and that's the ONLY way it should be! As a "community organizer" Obama should know that, and start emphasizing the idea of "helping" one another, not forcing us to do that! Preach and teach love, not hate through making us distrust anyone who makes more money than us, like Obama does. This is causing segregation all over again, just in an entirely different format. And it blurs the racial lines, too.

I struggle everyday to survive. I'm not rich by any means. I work a seasonal job that puts me on unemployment every winter. Each winter I find it more and more difficult to pay bills and support my family, but I do what I can to make ends meet. I work. I try. I keep plugging along. I'm thankful to have a job. But what does that even matter anymore when Obama is giving out free handouts and claiming it won't affect the average American? Anyone who believes that is not paying very close attention to the details of his proposed policies. The Cap & Trade bill will increase your energy bills by nearly $1000 every year! To pay for your universal "free" health care, you'll pay higher taxes on foods that the government thinks you shouldn't be eating or taxing soda and cigarettes. Don't even think about getting Botox, because they'll tax that too, now. You'll pay for it one way or another. And do you really want to pay for someone's birth control or abortion? Really? Why should ANYONE have to pay for that kind of "treatment"!?

If you were rich, would you want to be forced into doing something that you don't agree with just because you had the means to do so? And what if you didn't really have the means to do so? Rich people have expenses, too. In fact, most of them pay for their own personal health care. You may think most rich people live the high life, because you watch too many episodes of the Real Housewives of Orange County, but most of them work night and day and give up their personal lives to have those things.

I think it's ridiculous that anyone should ridicule this woman merely because she's been projected by the media as a "poor little rich girl." You don't know...and the media will never tell you the real story.

anxiousschk
by anxiouss on Aug. 1, 2009 at 2:58 PM

I'm bumping this b/c I'm hoping for some fresh thought on it :)  Or a response from grannygoli...I'm still hoping she'll come back and read what I wrote a few pages ago....

FL2AK
by on Aug. 1, 2009 at 3:15 PM

Only the severly disabled who are found to not be able to work and children should receive any assistance in any form.  I have no compassion for those who will not help themselves.  My family is really tired of paying for others.  If you want what we have get off of your butt and go work for it like we did.  

BeamerBruin
by Member on Aug. 1, 2009 at 3:36 PM

I just have 2 questions:

1. How much of this 54% of her taxed income does she GET BACK??? We are upper middle class and always get a nice, hefty tax return every year...

2. For those of you making fun of the poor...Have you ever gone WITHOUT health insurance WHILE working full-time and/or 2 jobs? I have - and I was denied private coverage that I was perfectly willing to pay for because I had allergies - WTF? Maybe if you had to walk a mile in their shoes, you would have a little more compassion...

sampsonbabe
by on Aug. 1, 2009 at 4:32 PM

Well let me see...they are ones that make the most money and there for spend the most...if you keep taxing them...they won't spend money...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN