Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bodies...The Exhibition

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:55 AM
  • 11 Replies

I don't know if this topic has ever been brought up on here or not but i want your views on this. In January I'm going to Las Vegas so i have been researching things to do while I'm there. I know its a long way off but this is very new to me considering i have never been out of Ohio and WV. I came across something called bodies...The Exhibition. The use real bodies from china and put them on display. Its really creepy and disturbing. I feel its wrong but yet i want to see it. Does anyone else think this is wrong?

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Gretchen2876
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:57 AM

I think it's really interesting, and I wish I would have been able to visit when it was here. It would have been extremely expensive though, which is why we skipped it. 

The way I see it, isn't necessarily the way you see it. Or the way it is, or ought to be. What's more important, is that we're all looking for it, and a way to see it.

Desi DeNardo (via Starbucks coffee cup)

Sweetfairy28
by Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:00 AM

I definitely think it will be interesting but at the same time i feel like a hypocrite because i think its wrong and yet going to it. I have so many mixed feelings about this.

Gretchen2876
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:04 AM

Quoting Sweetfairy28:

I definitely think it will be interesting but at the same time i feel like a hypocrite because i think its wrong and yet going to it. I have so many mixed feelings about this.

IF the people displayed there did indeed donate their bodies to science, then I see no problem with this at all. What a wonderful gift they gave to educate people about the inner workings of their own bodies. I am much more of a visual learner, and to actually see everything would have been incredible for me.

However, if they didn't intend for their bodies to be displayed, then yes that's a very big problem. At the very least, it would be a very large moral problem.

The way I see it, isn't necessarily the way you see it. Or the way it is, or ought to be. What's more important, is that we're all looking for it, and a way to see it.

Desi DeNardo (via Starbucks coffee cup)

mamaof32007
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:04 AM

I honestly dont see a problem with it, they are stating those people signed something sayint it was okay.  As long as the people voluntered I wouldnt have a problem with it, it actually seems really intresting.

PamR
by Ruby Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:07 AM

This exhibit has been here in Atlanta - I thought it would be gross, but it is actually quite interesting.  I know that there was some controversy and that there is the possibility that Chinese prisoners' bodies were used for it, rather than just people who donated their remains. 

Sweetfairy28
by Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:20 AM

If they donated then i guess its not so bad. I hope all the bodies were donated willingly. If not thats really sad. I think this is something i need to really think about because it can be a learning experience. I have heard they have the babies in the different stages as well. That might be harder to see for me. I have plenty of time to make a final decision.

lanceandhailey
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:23 AM

I would rather see Bodyworlds in Las Vegas. I do not find this gross at all but rather interesting and I can not wait to see it sometime!

http://www.bodyworlds.com/en.html

anxiousschk
by anxiouss on Jul. 28, 2009 at 12:43 PM

I saw "Bodies--The Exhibition" in Atlanta...thinking it was "Bodyworlds"....I would have seen it anyway, even knowing about the controversy. 

It's incredibly educational. 

Stefanie1085
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:54 PM

Quoting PamR:

This exhibit has been here in Atlanta - I thought it would be gross, but it is actually quite interesting.  I know that there was some controversy and that there is the possibility that Chinese prisoners' bodies were used for it, rather than just people who donated their remains. 

I find this part very disturbing. If they were all donations, then I don't have objections. I saw one of these exhibits and it was very interesting and educational.

MrsRStewart
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:02 PM

I think it is gross and nasty. 

However, to say that polticans can start fining musuems for exhibits that they don't like and think aren't PC is a bad idea.  She has not proof that these bodies weren't donated to science; she just doesn't like the exhibit.  She has a problem with it and needs to get over it.  If these people wanted to donate their bodies to science, it is none of her business.  She just should choose not to go to the exhibit.

a wedding website

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)