Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

UPDATE..on baby's death..warning very graphic

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:51 AM
  • 40 Replies

Police: Woman accused of killing newborn ate brain

SAN ANTONIO (AP) - A woman charged with murdering her 3 1/2-week-old son used a knife and two swords to dismember the child and ate parts of his body, including his brain, before stabbing herself in the torso and slicing her own throat, police said Monday.

Otty Sanchez, 33, is charged with capital murder in the death of her infant son, Scott Wesley Buchholtz-Sanchez. She was recovering from her wounds at a hospital, and was being held on $1 million bail.

Police Chief William McManus said the early Sunday morning attack occurred a week after the child's father moved out. The child's aunt and two cousins, ages 5 and 7, were in the house, but none were harmed.

McManus, who appeared uncomfortable as he addressed reporters, said Sanchez apparently ate the child's brain and some other body parts. She also tore his face off, chewed off three of his toes and decapitated the infant before stabbing herself.

"It's too heinous for me to describe it any further," McManus said.

Officers called to Sanchez's house at about 5 a.m. Sunday found her sitting on the couch "screaming that she killed her baby," police spokesman Joe Rios said. They found the boy's body in a bedroom.

Police said Sanchez said the devil told her to kill her son.

"It was a spontaneous utterance," McManus said. "She said she was hearing voices."

Sanchez does not yet have a lawyer, police said, and was hospitalized in San Antonio. The police declined to identify other family members.

No one answered the door Monday at Sanchez's home, where the blinds were shut. A hopscotch pattern and red hearts were drawn on the walk leading up to the house.

Neighbor Luis Yanez said everyone on the street was appalled by the news.

"Why would you do that to your baby?" said Yanez, 23, a tire technician. "It brings chills to you. They can't defend themselves."
Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

" But the NATURAL man RECEIVETH NOT the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can HE KNOW THEM, because they are SPIRITUALLY DISCERNED." 1 Cor.2:14.

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lanceandhailey
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:54 AM

"The child's aunt and two cousins, ages 5 and 7, were in the house, but none were harmed. "

You tell me how the hell you can be in the house and not know that this was going on, or not call someone you know, 911, run and tell a neighbor? That's sick!

LeLe417
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:56 AM

It began in the early morning hours. I'm assuming the others were all asleep.

Quoting lanceandhailey:

"The child's aunt and two cousins, ages 5 and 7, were in the house, but none were harmed. "

You tell me how the hell you can be in the house and not know that this was going on, or not call someone you know, 911, run and tell a neighbor? That's sick!

lolamac
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:59 AM

Not to be extremely visual here, but once she cut off the child's head, there wouldn't be much crying. The child probably didn't cry any more than if he were hungry or tired. If they weren't in the room when it happened, the possibly didn't know. *speculation*

This woman should have never been able to have children and once she tossed the child in the car in the car seat and the family KNEW of her diagnosis and problems, they should have stepped in. This woman has a very troubled soul and I pray she finds peace from the voices in her head. I pray for her soul and I pray that she finds eternal rest.

LoriAnn87
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 12:55 PM

The family should have done something to procet this child knowing the mother had problems before or someone should have been around her at all times when she was with the child.

mrs_khan07
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:08 PM

I read in another article that she said the devil told her to do it. What I don't understand about these lunatic religious people who do these things and try to blame the devil, if they're so religious, why did they listen to the devil? When they start off saying that the devil told them to do it they are obviously aware that it was "the devil" and under no impression that it was God instead, so why listen to the devil? I just don't get people.

Mrs. Khan

norwegianwood
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:29 PM

Quoting lanceandhailey:

Really? NOW you're convicting people because YOU have decided, not knowing the floor plan or HOW quickly this woman may have actually killed the boy or HOW quietly she worked at it? Really? You don't know that hearing the baby cry was nothing to them IN their SLEEP since like babies DO that every night. You don't know that she didn't OFTEN have to get up to make a bottle and therefore noises in that area or even the bedroom associated with her would also be something 'familiar' in your sleep. You don't know ANY of the facts, but you have convicted THEM, people who did NOT commit the act, of being 'sick'? Wow.

P

MrsRStewart
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:36 PM

I don't even know what to say.

I can't even imagine what those people are going through that were asleep in the house when this happened.  Could you imagine the guilt, even knowing it wasn't your fault?  I am not blaming them, I just am wondering if they are feeling that way.

This woman needs to go away for the rest of her life.  The death penalty, if it is available in her state.

a wedding website

norwegianwood
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:16 PM

And the father too?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,535096,00.html

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,535096,00.html

Beheaded Infant's Dad: Mother Accused in Killing Should Be Executed

SAN ANTONIO —  The father of a newborn baby who authorities say was mutilated, killed and cannibalized by his mother says he wants to see her executed.

Scott W. Buchholtz told The Associated Press on Tuesday that Otty Sanchez, the mother of 3 1/2-week-old Scotty Wesley Buchholtz-Sanchez, seemed fine in the days before the killing.

But he says she told him she had been diagnosed with postpartum depression and was going to be admitted to a hospital for treatment.

Relatives of Sanchez say she had been diagnosed with schizophrenia and postpartum psychosis. Buchholtz says he, too, has been diagnosed with schizophrenia.

Sanchez has been charged with capital murder and is being held on $1 million bail. She is recovering from self-inflicted stab wounds at a hospital.

BOTH PARENTS with schizophrenia???

man...

P

tericared
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:05 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_baby_decapitated

SAN ANTONIO – The warning signs were there. Otty Sanchez, a schizophrenic with a history of hospitalizations, wasn't taking medication and was depressed after her son's birth, the boy's father said. A simple request seemed to set her off, alarming him and his family.

Yet, the 33-year-old woman was staying in a house where she had access to samurai swords. Child welfare officials were never called

mistynights234
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:14 PM

I dont know........two very sick individuals.  Both of there minds are broken.  The situation is unimaginable.  I cannot even fathom it.  The worst thing thats happened to me lately is getting upset at faceless people in this group........Thank you powers that be for my somewhat dull and very predictable life. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)