Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ill. man faces 6 months in jail for yawning

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 12:04 AM
  • 3 Replies

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_odd_jailed_for_yawning

JOLIET, Ill. – Drowsy spectators in one suburban Chicago courtroom might want to stifle their yawns from now on. Clifton Williams, 33, of Richton Park, is facing six months in jail for making what court documents call a yawn-like sound in Will County Judge Daniel Rozak's court last month. The yawn happened as Williams' cousin, Jason Mayfield, was being sentenced for a drug charge on July 23.

Rozak found Williams in contempt of court and sentenced him to six months in jail. However, Rozak could free Williams after a status hearing Thursday, if Williams apologizes and the judge accepts. By then, Williams will have served 21 days.

Witnesses disagree about whether Williams' yawn was out of line.

Charles Pelkie, spokesman for the Will County state's attorney's office, said the prosecutor in the courtroom at the time told him that what came out of Williams' mouth could hardly be called a "yawn."

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 12:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
eaglemama2
by Silver Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 12:15 AM

Wow, really? that is a bit extreme, to say the least, lol.   What would have happened had he sneezed?  I guess he should be lucky he's not in China, he may have gotten shot for that! Yikes

rocklovinggirl
by Bronze Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:06 AM

Wow.

I support Ron Paul!
Eveshalloween
by Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:10 AM

Illinois is big for that crap ...I've seen shit like that happen a lot here..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)