Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

military and UHC reform... question.

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:42 AM
  • 7 Replies
I have a question and was wondering if anyone knew the answer or saw this in a bill...
Well, as most of you know one of the perks of being in the military is the "free" health insurance so does anyone know if the military pay is going to go up after the UHCR is put into place? Because if not, it is like taking away a privilege for being in the military, if you can understand what I am saying.
My husband will probably be getting out when his term is up, anyway and might go reserve but I have a lot of family in military...

I support Ron Paul!
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mamaof2angles
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:00 AM

Ok 1st it is not UHC and 2nd NO it will not affect the miltary, basically in a nutshell what Obama hopes to do is like what congress gets to do EVERY OPEN ENROLLMENT "SEASON" you will get a "menu" of options like what they can look at and one of those options may be "public" option, which basically make the "private" insurances honest as in they will want to offer you the "best" coverage so that you dont choose public option.  He wants everyone that pays taxes basically to be able to afford "GOOD " health insurance and not just a few get it. My mother is a federal worker and gets some damn good insurance, and it wont affect her insurance.  But from what I have read and been told by both my sentors and my house rep is the military WILL NOT lose their health coverage, as for the pay increase you are asking about, that is a completly differnt bill that is STILL being haggled out in commitee. in the house of reps.

stormcris
by Christy on Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:25 AM

The report from Congress as of August the 4th is the VA and Tricare are exempt from the legislation, per amendments accepted by comittee from Steve Buyer and Joe Wilson.

rotPferd
by Silver Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:25 AM

Tricare is not free. Only ACTIVE DUTY has no out of pocket expenses, but if you look at an LES, you will see that an amount is deducted from their pay. Dependants pay a co-pay, a reduced rate for meds and 50% of a dental procedure that requires more than a filling. Of course there are different levels of Tricare that cover different percentages and it comes out of their pay.

bren101283
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:33 AM

Quoting rotPferd:

Tricare is not free. Only ACTIVE DUTY has no out of pocket expenses, but if you look at an LES, you will see that an amount is deducted from their pay. Dependants pay a co-pay, a reduced rate for meds and 50% of a dental procedure that requires more than a filling. Of course there are different levels of Tricare that cover different percentages and it comes out of their pay.

I don't pay a copay for my health insurance.  i don't pay for my meds unless they are filled out in town but at the Naval Hosp they are free.  My husband has a certain amount taken out each pay for my dental.  MY dental is just like any civilans dental.  I pay a porton and so does United Concordia who my dental is through.  I have 1200 max per year and once that is met I have to pay out of pocket for whatever I need.  I do get 2 free cleanings a year no matter if the max has been met or not. Vision I get one free exam a yr but nothing when it comes to frames, lenes, or contacts. 

Freedom is not free, but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share.
Ned Dolan
grammie6
by Bronze Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:53 AM

This from White House website:

Q: I am active duty military and I am worried that health reform will affect my care under TRICARE.

A: The President is committed to ensuring that America’s servicemen and women have high quality care. This was an issue he fought for when he was a United States Senator and will continue fighting for as President. You have given much to your country, and we are determined to provide you and your family with good, reliable health care.

Health reform will only build on our commitment to military health care. TRICARE will continue to be available for all eligible servicemen and women, and their families. The health reform legislation that is being considered would enable those who are covered by TRICARE to meet the shared responsibility requirement for individuals to have insurance, thereby exempting such members of the uniformed services and dependants from being assessed penalties. If enacted, the President will ensure that this exemption is implemented aggressively. The Secretary of Defense would continue to maintain sole authority over the system and for enhancing the quality and access for all eligible members of the uniformed services.

Now I have a question,

I have a son in the military but have never seen a paycheck stub, are there funds taken out for healthcare or is it free?

coast guardGrammie6

rocklovinggirl
by Bronze Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:53 PM
I know, that is why I put "free."
I never pay a co-pay though as a dependent unless you mean it is already taken out of the paycheck?
Anyway, thanks so much everyone for the replies!
Quoting rotPferd:

I support Ron Paul!
SophiaofLight
by Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:57 PM

Military do not get paystubs. They get what is called an LES that they have access to online. And if your son is active duty, no he does not pay for any of his healthcare, it is free

Quoting grammie6:

This from White House website:

Q: I am active duty military and I am worried that health reform will affect my care under TRICARE.

A: The President is committed to ensuring that America’s servicemen and women have high quality care. This was an issue he fought for when he was a United States Senator and will continue fighting for as President. You have given much to your country, and we are determined to provide you and your family with good, reliable health care.

Health reform will only build on our commitment to military health care. TRICARE will continue to be available for all eligible servicemen and women, and their families. The health reform legislation that is being considered would enable those who are covered by TRICARE to meet the shared responsibility requirement for individuals to have insurance, thereby exempting such members of the uniformed services and dependants from being assessed penalties. If enacted, the President will ensure that this exemption is implemented aggressively. The Secretary of Defense would continue to maintain sole authority over the system and for enhancing the quality and access for all eligible members of the uniformed services.

Now I have a question,

I have a son in the military but have never seen a paycheck stub, are there funds taken out for healthcare or is it free?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)