Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why did Obama lie when he said he doesn't want a single payer system?

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:39 AM
  • 18 Replies

At a health care town hall today, President Barack Obama told a New Hampshire audience that he has never claimed to be an advocate of a single-payer health care system, alleging that his Republican opponents were employing “scare tactics” to derail substantive health care reform.

Really??? Because that's not what he said in this video... and it's not the only time he said he wants a single payer system.  Why lie??? And no, that video is not cut to make it seem like he said it... he said it.

Champions find a way... Losers find an excuse

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamaof2angles
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:48 AM

There is a difference between what Canada, Sweden, Austraila, and the Neatherlands have Single-payer which means the government is in charge of it. and what Obama is wanting, which is a "Public option"  basically when people get offered health insurance during "open season" aka "Open enrollment" he wants to give them the option of a public health IF they cannot find a private health plan that they (the consumer) likes.  Its not a HUGE difference but there is a differance.

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:49 AM

Duh. Because he's a POLITICIAN. And yeah- he was so NOT my first choice BECAUSE of his views on healthcare reform. Not nearly dramatic or radical enough.

Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants. - Michael Pollan

And while you're at it, remember that when you purchase food, you're voting with your dollar. Local farms, diversity, sustainability- all these should be positively answered by your vote. 

mamaof2angles
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:51 AM

Ok yes he is a politcation and umm huh??? on the last part maybe its cause im nearing the end of my shift Im not reading this as well. LOL

Quoting Raintree:

Duh. Because he's a POLITICIAN. And yeah- he was so NOT my first choice BECAUSE of his views on healthcare reform. Not nearly dramatic or radical enough.

lilyrose73
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:54 AM

Quoting Raintree:

I know that all politicians lie , but you'd think they would check to see if there is video of them saying things before they lie to the American peole about it LOL...

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:56 AM

Nah- that'd kill the fun.

Quoting lilyrose73:

Quoting Raintree:

I know that all politicians lie , but you'd think they would check to see if there is video of them saying things before they lie to the American peole about it LOL...

And while you're at it, remember that when you purchase food, you're voting with your dollar. Local farms, diversity, sustainability- all these should be positively answered by your vote. 

ilovemymonkeys4
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:58 AM

So that makes it okay because he's a politician?? If he lies about one thing, how do you know he's not lying about another? "Oh he wouldn't lie about that" but another issue comes up and the response is "oh he's just a politician, evey politician lies"... I don't get it...

lilyrose73
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:59 AM

Quoting mamaof2angles:

There is a difference between what Canada, Sweden, Austraila, and the Neatherlands have Single-payer which means the government is in charge of it. and what Obama is wanting, which is a "Public option"  basically when people get offered health insurance during "open season" aka "Open enrollment" he wants to give them the option of a public health IF they cannot find a private health plan that they (the consumer) likes.  Its not a HUGE difference but there is a differance.

I'm not talking about what he is trying to sell NOW... I am talking about comments he made in the past, that he is NOW lying about EVER saying.  He could have said, "You know, a few years ago I thought a single payer plan would work, but now I realize that's not the best choice for the US." That would have been fine.  HOWEVER,  Obama is lying that he ever said he wanted single payer at all...

He also lied yesterday about the AARP indorsing his health care bill... they have come out with a statement saying that they want reforem, but are not endorsing the current plan...

While the President was correct that AARP will not endorse a health care reform bill that would reduce Medicare benefits, indications that we have endorsed any of the major health care reform bills currently under consideration in Congress are inaccurate.”

mamaof2angles
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:03 AM

You CANNOT possiably tell me you have NOT once in your life made a mistake, and by the way he was making a point that they have endorsed other things in the past but not anything that will hurt benefits, and who are you to know he was not talking about the local chapter of AARP??? while the Headquaters may say no does not mean that local chapters of it arnt for it. 

Quoting lilyrose73:

Quoting mamaof2angles:

I'm not talking about what he is trying to sell NOW... I am talking about comments he made in the past, that he is NOW lying about EVER saying.  He could have said, "You know, a few years ago I thought a single payer plan would work, but now I realize that's not the best choice for the US." That would have been fine.  HOWEVER,  Obama is lying that he ever said he wanted single payer at all...

He also lied yesterday about the AARP indorsing his health care bill... they have come out with a statement saying that they want reforem, but are not endorsing the current plan...

While the President was correct that AARP will not endorse a health care reform bill that would reduce Medicare benefits, indications that we have endorsed any of the major health care reform bills currently under consideration in Congress are inaccurate.”

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:04 AM

I wouldn't  call it lying. I'd call it changing his mind in changed circumstances. But out of the campaign- personally- I NEVER heard him advocate for a single payer or Universal overhaul of our disease management system.

Quoting ilovemymonkeys4:

So that makes it okay because he's a politician?? If he lies about one thing, how do you know he's not lying about another? "Oh he wouldn't lie about that" but another issue comes up and the response is "oh he's just a politician, evey politician lies"... I don't get it...

mamaof2angles
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:10 AM

Thank you once again Raintree I agree i myself never heard him say that either.

Quoting Raintree:

I wouldn't  call it lying. I'd call it changing his mind in changed circumstances. But out of the campaign- personally- I NEVER heard him advocate for a single payer or Universal overhaul of our disease management system.

Quoting ilovemymonkeys4:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)