Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

CNN, MSNBC, FOX

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:28 AM
  • 32 Replies

Am I the only person who is trying to find out what goes on in the world and can't b/c all these news stations do is talk about who is wrong and what is un-American?  I want the NEWS.  Not someones opinion of the news.  Like with the healthcare reform.  I really am trying to understand what the whole issue is about but I can't because there are too many opinions out there and not enough of the truth.  Just everyones version of the truth.  This is for both left/right wingers.  Nobody's right here if the dang public can't determine what the bill is supposed to be.  I want news not bias and opinions.  AM I alone on this one?

Freedom is not free, but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share.
Ned Dolan
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pepperlynns
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:30 AM

yea good luck on that....i usually watch Lou Dobbs..he is in the center on most things,

lilyrose73
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:31 AM

Quoting Pepperlynns:

yea good luck on that....i usually watch Lou Dobbs..he is in the center on most things,

Lou Dobbs??? Why am I not suprised LMAO...

OP, I feel you... it is almost impossible to find an unbiased news source...

Champions find a way... Losers find an excuse

Gretchen2876
by Silver Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:31 AM

Ya, that's probably why John Stewart and Steven Colbert are now the "most trusted" news people. At least they actually give a comedic take on their opinion. 

The way I see it, isn't necessarily the way you see it. Or the way it is, or ought to be. What's more important, is that we're all looking for it, and a way to see it.

Desi DeNardo (via Starbucks coffee cup)

margroc
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:34 AM

If you have access try to find the news from another country - it will be unbiased.  CBC from Canada or the BBC World Report.

A society which emphasizes uniformity is one which creates intolerance and hate.  - Pierre E. Trudeau

aidans_mama
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:40 AM

i hear ya.  sometimes i try to watch cnn or msnbc, but they usually end up with two or more political analysts fighting over what they think the healthcare bill is supposed to be about and throughout the broadcasts are clips of the same woman screaming, "i want my country back!" like where the fuck did it go?  whatever. 

for some reason my cable box starts to smoke when i turn to fox news.

Stefanie1085
by Silver Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:45 AM

Quoting Gretchen2876:

Ya, that's probably why John Stewart and Steven Colbert are now the "most trusted" news people. At least they actually give a comedic take on their opinion. 

And they make fun of everybody, so no bias =)

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:55 AM

Yeah- there isn't any 'mainstream' media source that's unbiased. I just skip around all the different websites. I also frequent the BBC, and the evil liberal NPR... oooooOOOOoooo....

As for the healthcare debate. I'll run it down for ya.

We're not getting real reform of any variety, except that which will benefit big business interests- ie- the insurance companies, pharmaceutical companies and disease care facilities. Congress and the President- so far- don't have the balls to actually, you know, represent people- and the Conservatives just blatantly don't reform at all.

Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants. - Michael Pollan

And while you're at it, remember that when you purchase food, you're voting with your dollar. Local farms, diversity, sustainability- all these should be positively answered by your vote. 

katy_kay
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:19 AM

What happened to getting your news the old fashioned way....from the newspapers?  TV news is nothing but sensationalized overhyped soundbites.   

I also don't understand how anyone thinks they are getting 'news' from commentators.  It's their job to sell you their opinion, not give you the straight facts. 

Thomigirl
by Platinum Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:55 AM

Quoting katy_kay:

What happened to getting your news the old fashioned way....from the newspapers?  In this day and age where news travels faster, people want to GET their news faster.TV news is nothing but sensationalized overhyped soundbites.   Operative words being 'TV NEWS'.  But , I do agree with your comment

I also don't understand how anyone thinks they are getting 'news' from commentators.  It's their job to sell you their opinion, not give you the straight facts.  Truer words have never been typed.

PamR
by Ruby Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 12:01 PM
The cable news networks are pretty much going to give you talking heads with a point of view, not unbiased. Which I sometimes enjoy, but if you want real news, I would go with PBS or BBC.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)