Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

States Cut Aid to College Students as Demand Booms

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:41 AM
  • 5 Replies

Struggling with budget shortfalls that reach into the billions, several states are making deep cuts in college financial aid programs, including those that provide a vital source of cash for students who most need the money.

At least a dozen states are reducing award sizes, eliminating grants and tightening eligibility guidelines because of a lack of money. At the same time, the number of students seeking aid is rising sharply as more people seek a college education and need help paying the tuition bill because they or their parents lost jobs and savings during the recession.

Many of the affected programs are need-based grants that provide money that complements financial aid offered by schools and the federal government. Without that cash, some students may be forced to drop out, transfer to cheaper schools or simply have less money available for rent and groceries. Experts fear others will take on too much debt or spend even more time working as they pursue a degree.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=8308872

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Stefanie1085
by Silver Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:44 AM

That sucks. No debate, that's all I got 

aidans_mama
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:50 AM

Quoting Stefanie1085:

i feel the same way.

bxbsmommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:20 AM

That does suck. The school at went to is going through that.  Grants that I got as a freshman I didn't get as a sophomore even though my parents made less money.  Also when I started tuition was around $2300 a semester and by the time I graduated it increased to around $4000 a semester. I'm just thankful that I finished by the time things really started getting bad.

PamR
by Ruby Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:59 AM
I have a daughter attending a state university and tuition squeaks up every semester - I think we just paid about $2600 for the upcoming one. Mandatory student fees run about $700 a semester and books have been as high as $600 a semester. A lot of families just can't do that without grants to help pay.
tericared
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 12:36 PM

Quoting aidans_mama:

Quoting Stefanie1085:

i feel the same way.

me too

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)