Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Suspended because of Myspace?

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 2:56 PM
  • 15 Replies

I was listening to a local radio station this morning and heard about how a teenage girl in Texas was suspended from the drill team because of her myspace page. First the principal claimed that it was because there was a picture of her posing provacatively in her bathing suit. Then he claimed that it was because of inappropriate language. It was only for one game but still. I cannot see how a private myspace that has nothing to do with school could get her in trouble at school. This is ridiculous to me. Anyone else think so?

Heather
Proud Pagan Momma

"Fighting for Peace is like screwing for virginity."

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 2:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dreamerinluv
by Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 2:57 PM

WTF ???? 

~~ If I had Skittles in my mouth.......would you come and taste the rainbow ?~~

ajlaela
by New Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:02 PM

it is ridiculous, but then they will just use the whole defense where it goes back to when kids commit suicide from stuff that was written on their myspace page from other kids at school. and i'm sure there are other kids at the school that have worse on their myspace page than that girl.

Stefanie1085
by Silver Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:14 PM

I know drill teams get pretty strict but that's an invasion of privacy of the worst kind. And I don't think a principal should be looking on myspace pages........But aren't under 18 pages friends only???? 

athenax3
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:19 PM

I hate to say this, but here goes, it's prepatory for life. Jobs will look up a myspace page to see if it is deragatory or negatively reflects on the potential or current employee, I've heard colleges have used personal web pages to gather information about applicant-personal associations can be made from what's on your myspace page- I'm not saying it's fair or right, but it's the technology age and it's vital that young people understand that what you put out into the cyber world is there for ALL to see, and that a little forethought and contemplation might be a good thing.

I don't know if it's right that this affected her drill team- but the reality is that at the rate we're going the way you choose to represent yourself on internet sites could become as important as how you choose to write your resume or present yourself for an interview.

margroc
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:25 PM

I agree - there was a case of a kid who was charged with driving drunk and hitting another carr and injuring someone (or maybe even killing them)  the judge found pictures of him on his facebook or myspace page making light of the situation and drinking at a halloween party - he got the maximum sentence.  My boy goes on his page and his comments will have curse words in them - I always make sure he takes them off and that his pics are appropriate (I've made him take some down).  He's 18 years old so technically an adult and these things could affect him when he is done school and looking to start a career.

Quoting athenax3:

I hate to say this, but here goes, it's prepatory for life. Jobs will look up a myspace page to see if it is deragatory or negatively reflects on the potential or current employee, I've heard colleges have used personal web pages to gather information about applicant-personal associations can be made from what's on your myspace page- I'm not saying it's fair or right, but it's the technology age and it's vital that young people understand that what you put out into the cyber world is there for ALL to see, and that a little forethought and contemplation might be a good thing.

I don't know if it's right that this affected her drill team- but the reality is that at the rate we're going the way you choose to represent yourself on internet sites could become as important as how you choose to write your resume or present yourself for an interview.

A society which emphasizes uniformity is one which creates intolerance and hate.  - Pierre E. Trudeau

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:45 PM

I think it's just fine. MySpace, FaceBook....anything on the Internet IS NOT PRIVATE. Kids need to know that every action has a reaction. Every action has a repercussion....sometimes good, sometimes bad. That is unless your kid lives in a cave where no other people live. Just because a family doesn't have standards, doesn't mean that the rest of society doesn't. If you or your kids go out into the world, and willingly join into any type of group (school, club, etc)....there are standards. Don't like the standards? Don't join. Pretty simple.

tericared
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:50 PM

Quoting EireLass:

I think it's just fine. MySpace, FaceBook....anything on the Internet IS NOT PRIVATE. Kids need to know that every action has a reaction. Every action has a repercussion....sometimes good, sometimes bad. That is unless your kid lives in a cave where no other people live. Just because a family doesn't have standards, doesn't mean that the rest of society doesn't. If you or your kids go out into the world, and willingly join into any type of group (school, club, etc)....there are standards. Don't like the standards? Don't join. Pretty simple.

this

PestPatti
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:04 PM

A few of the private schools around here, forbid the kids from having a my space.  There was a story about a girl who went to Bishop Grimes (Private Catholic School) and she posted a rant against one the nuns.   She basically threatened the nun on her my space.

My son's friend died in 2007, his myspace page is still available for the kids to leave comments on it.    It's now a memorial site, and it helps the kids.

Grannygoli
by Gold Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:12 PM

I don't know the answer to this one.  I mean yes, there should be some accountability on the part of a young adult or teenager as to what they put online but, I don't know if the school has a right to control whether she has put a provocative picture on. I am against girls and boys (happens mostly to girls) sexually objectifying themselves because it is unhealthy for a variety of reasons and they should learn to present themselves online properly, esp. because they are vulnerable to dangers online, I just don't think it is a healthy way to teach someone these things through suspending them from school.  Schools are too controlling IMO.

alyssamj24
by Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:16 PM

i dont know how i feel about this one.....i think that kids need to be careful about what they put on any website....but the stuff that was on the girls profile wasnt related to the school at all, so i dont see why she was in trouble. maybe ifshe was in a drill team uniform drinking or doing drugs she should be in trouble.....

i used to work at a daycare center that would regularly search myspace and facebook for employee profiles....if someones profile said they worked at the daycare and had innappropriate pictures or language then the person was fired.  this makes perfect sense to me....how would you feel if you had a child in preschool and saw pictures of their teacher on myspace totally wasted??

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)