Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Islamic burqa is not welcome in France,

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 5:56 PM
  • 41 Replies

PARIS — President Nicolas Sarkozy declared Monday that the Islamic burqa is not welcome in France, branding the face-covering, body-length gown as a symbol of subservience that suppresses women's identities and turns them into "prisoners behind a screen." But there was a mixed message in the tough words: an admission that the country's long-held principle of ethnic assimilation _ which insists that newcomers shed their traditions and adapt to French culture _ is failing because it doesn't give immigrants and their French-born children a fair chance.

In a high-profile speech to lawmakers in the historic chateau at Versailles, Sarkozy said the head-to-toe Muslim body coverings were in disaccord with French values _ some of the strongest language against burqas from a European leader at a time when some Western officials have been seeking to ease tensions with the Muslim world.

Critics fear the issue of full-body coverings, which only involves a tiny minority of French Muslims, could increase discrimination against all Muslims who display their faith in any way.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/06/22/sarkozy-burqas-are-not-we_n_218920.html

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 5:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lilyrose73
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:20 PM

Adults should have the freedom to wear whatever they want... WTH is wrong with France??? 

Champions find a way... Losers find an excuse

tericared
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:22 PM

Quoting lilyrose73:

Adults should have the freedom to wear whatever they want... WTH is wrong with France??? 

odd I thought they were pretty Liberal...

mrs_khan07
by Silver Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:25 PM

I cannot believe this is coming from France!!! How can they tell a woman that she cannot cover her body! I guess they're all more comfortable when women are half naked. That makes me sick. So what are the women who cover themselves supposed to do? Leave France? France is a joke.

Mrs. Khan

lilyrose73
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:27 PM

Quoting tericared:

Quoting lilyrose73:

Don't they have a lot of nude beaches in France?  I'd much rather see a woman in a burka then some 60 year old naked lady with boobs that sag down to her belly button and a wrinkly rear end LOL.

Seriously though, IMO this is just discrimination disguised as "concern"...

Champions find a way... Losers find an excuse

MissBearNMonkey
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:29 PM

Absofreakinglutely.

Quoting lilyrose73:

SPEAK OUT! News & Debate

BRAINY BOOKS! BRAINY BOOKS! BRAINY BOOKS!

Nicole1002
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:44 PM

I think what France is trying to say is that they believe the burqa is a form of discrimination against woman.  France is right if you come to their country you should adopt their way of life.  Just as if you come to America learn to speak english...why should we make special accomodations for the people that don't speak english?  Honestly I think that muslim's shame their women by making them cover themselves like that and France is say.  If you want to do that in Palestin or Afghanistan then fine, don't do it here.

tericared
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:47 PM

Quoting Nicole1002:

I think what France is trying to say is that they believe the burqa is a form of discrimination against woman.  France is right if you come to their country you should adopt their way of life.  Just as if you come to America learn to speak english...why should we make special accomodations for the people that don't speak english?  Honestly I think that muslim's shame their women by making them cover themselves like that and France is say.  If you want to do that in Palestin or Afghanistan then fine, don't do it here.

We cover in the States and in France and free countries because it is our choice and it is our faith...It is very respectful for us to not run around showing our bodies...

tericared
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:48 PM

Quoting lilyrose73:

Quoting tericared:

Quoting lilyrose73:

Don't they have a lot of nude beaches in France?  I'd much rather see a woman in a burka then some 60 year old naked lady with boobs that sag down to her belly button and a wrinkly rear end LOL.

ewwwwww 60 year old naked anywhere.....

JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:49 PM

I don't think that adopting the culture of the country and free expression of religious faith are mutually exclusive.  IMO, this is prejudice disguised as concern.

mrs_khan07
by Silver Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:54 PM

Quoting Nicole1002:

In reality it is the complete opposite of that. It has absolutely nothing to do with shame but respect. Some women don't want other men looking at her if they are not her husband or close relative.

Mrs. Khan

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)