Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is The Obama Administration our Big Brother??

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:05 PM
  • 18 Replies

DH saw this first on CNN (the channel)...couldn't find it at all on the website, had to find it on foxnews.com...but saw it first on CNN.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/08/12/critics-decry-proposed-change-federal-cookie-policy/?test=latestnews

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
katy_kay
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:23 PM

Because you are one of my favorite Conservatives I found another source.   At least that way they won't discuss the source and maybe will stick to the story.  ;)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/08/10/AR2009081002743.html?hpid=moreheadlines

katy_kay
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:26 PM

While I'm not a fan of tracking cookies...I'm not sure how much this differs from the years of indiscriminate email monitoring and phone taps we endured under the previous administration. 

The tracking cookies can be blocked and deleted. 

Natish0405
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:37 PM

Quoting katy_kay:

The tracking cookies can be blocked and deleted. 

Yep.

unspecified42
by Bronze Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:42 PM

Ok, what?

I don't see a reason to get upset about this. If I log on to www.whitehouse.gov I really don't care if they know it. I have gone to their website, it's not like they're jumping into my computer and watching what I'm doing, they just know that I took the initiative to visit a federal site.

Private companies have been doing this for years. Google tracks and logs all of your searches, as do most other search engines.

katy_kay
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:46 PM

The issue with it is that they will then track all the other sites you go to.  Personally I don't want them further tracking us, we have a constitutional protection against unwarranted searches and diving into my computer without cause constitutes that in my opinion. 

Quoting unspecified42:

Ok, what?

I don't see a reason to get upset about this. If I log on to http://www.whitehouse.gov/ I really don't care if they know it. I have gone to their website, it's not like they're jumping into my computer and watching what I'm doing, they just know that I took the initiative to visit a federal site.

Private companies have been doing this for years. Google tracks and logs all of your searches, as do most other search engines.

unspecified42
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2009 at 12:18 AM

Quoting katy_kay:

The issue with it is that they will then track all the other sites you go to.  Personally I don't want them further tracking us, we have a constitutional protection against unwarranted searches and diving into my computer without cause constitutes that in my opinion. 

Quoting unspecified42:

Ok, what?

I don't see a reason to get upset about this. If I log on to http://www.whitehouse.gov/ I really don't care if they know it. I have gone to their website, it's not like they're jumping into my computer and watching what I'm doing, they just know that I took the initiative to visit a federal site.

Does your computer not have a "block cookies" option under privacy? It's not like this is high tech spying here... They've been totally transparent about the changes and it's something that can easily be avoided. Big Brother to me is more wire-taps, looking through lists of library books we've checked out, reading e-mails, etc. Totally different administration.

Goodwoman614
by Satan on Aug. 13, 2009 at 2:09 AM

Yes, you can block and delete tracking cookies...even I know that, lol...

But why thwart the right wing nut propagandist's handiwork?  Wouldn't want to waste any opportunites to heighten that paranoia, now would we?

"I'll fight for a person's right to speak so long as that person will, in return, fight to allow me to challenge their opinions and ridicule them as the content of their ideas merit."

mommajen32
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2009 at 2:26 AM

I wonder why they would do this ....I dunno. There has to be a reason.

stormcris
by Christy on Aug. 13, 2009 at 2:29 AM

I'm not worry about tracking cookies unless they use a certain kind. Then you wont be accessing much of anything.

mamaof2angles
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 2:29 AM

Most every site you visit on a computer has a cookie, when you online bank a cookie is there, this is NOT new people sheesh.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)