Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Texas public schools required to teach Bible this year SFOG

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2009 at 2:38 PM
  • 90 Replies

Texas public schools required to teach Bible this year

Posted: Aug 14, 2009 05:48 PM

Updated: Aug 17, 2009 08:09 AM

By Sara Story
Posted by Michael Hetrick

WHITEHOUSE, TX (KLTV) - The school year is almost here, and if literature of the Bible is not already offered in your child's school, it will be this fall. 

Books are a common sight in classrooms around the nation,  but the Bible is one book that is not. Come this fall, a Texas law says all public schools must offer information relating to the Bible in their curriculum.    

"By the end of the year, what they begin to realize is that it is pervasive. You can't get away from it.  The kids came back and were like 'It's everywhere,'" said John Keeling, the social studies chair at Whitehouse High School.  Whitehouse already offers a Bible elective. "The purpose of a course like this isn't even really to get kids to believe it per say. It is just to appreciate the profound impact that it has had on our history and on our government," said Keeling. 

The law actually passed in 2007, but this will be the first school year it is enforced because the bill says,  "The provisions of this act pertaining to a school district do not take effect until the 2009-2010 school year."

This has gained mixed reactions from East Texans.  "I think it is a good thing because a lot of kids don't have that experience, and they already want to take prayer out of school as it is-- and you see where our kids are ending up!" said Tyler resident Laura Tucker.  

Tyler resident Havis Tatum disagress with Tucker. He said, "I don't want anybody teaching their religious beliefs to my child unless they want to send their child to my house and let me teach them my religious views. There is no difference."

School officials tell us schools haven't enforced this law because of confusion over the bill's wording and lack of state funding.

For now, each school district must find a way to fill the requirement before the seats are filled with students.  

We would like to know what you think about this story.  Click here to leave your comments and read  the contents of Texas House Bill 1287.

http://www.kltv.com/global/story.asp?s=10933571

EDIT: Here is a link to the bill

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/80R/billtext/html/HB01287I.htm

From what I understand, the Bible course is elective, they are not supposed to use it as a religious indoctrination class, but they aren't required to have any other religious courses but the one about the Bible.

by on Aug. 17, 2009 at 2:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamaof32007
by on Aug. 17, 2009 at 2:44 PM

If its an elective then I believe that is great. 

PamR
by Pam on Aug. 17, 2009 at 2:47 PM

What do they mean by "teaching" the Bible - as an historical document, literature or are they teaching religion?  A lot of schools offer courses that teach various philosophies of religious thought.  Is Christianity the only one being offered?

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Aug. 17, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Where are the classes on the koran and gita? Buddhism? Taoism? Zoroastrianism?

The liberal person shall be enriched, and he who waters shall himself be watered. Proverbs 11:25

sassyandy124
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2009 at 2:49 PM

I'm not seeing why this should be a problem. Strictly logically thinking, the bible, creation, etc...  is a "theory", it's an option. There's nothing wrong with teaching different ideas and theories to kids. That supposed to be what school is about. For example, there are already numerous theories about the beginning of the universe, literature, and even math being taught.

Hitler gave great speeches TOO!!!!!!

Momof2Stepof3
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2009 at 2:51 PM

Are they ofering bible study for all religons? If not there will be problems and I'm glad my DH has choosen not to move back to Texas because we don't push religion of any sort on our kids. I study WICCA and he study's Dragon. An we also read every other religion.

Jenn

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(='.'=) bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him gain world domination
DaisyRae
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2009 at 4:14 PM

I am sorry, but if they offer this class then they need to have it as part of a world religions class and not simply a Bible class

Eilish
by on Aug. 17, 2009 at 4:34 PM

Catholic Bible?? I'd send my kid to class with a protestant Bible and let him get into a debate (fully prepared of course) about the reasons why the Apocrypha was taken out.

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Aug. 17, 2009 at 5:12 PM

haha.. that's what I was thinking.

Quoting Eilish:

Catholic Bible?? I'd send my kid to class with a protestant Bible and let him get into a debate (fully prepared of course) about the reasons why the Apocrypha was taken out.

The liberal person shall be enriched, and he who waters shall himself be watered. Proverbs 11:25

Stefanie1085
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2009 at 5:16 PM

Quoting Eilish:

Why am I not surprised? Lol

jrdnjstn00
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2009 at 5:19 PM

This is an elective class.

My kids go to Texas public schools and I only got little info on this. I don't know if they are choosen to touch on all religions or just one. It would be best to touch on all because people would get mad. Then again it's the kids choice if they want to take it or not. Actually I think it's just for High school. I have a child in middle school and elementary and haven't gotten any notice about them teaching this, which I'm sure they'd send a notice for consent if you want your child to participate in this class, that's why I think it's just at high school level. Not all levels

So this is what I got from the law.....

Sec. 28.011.  ELECTIVE COURSES IN HISTORY AND LITERATURE OF

OLD AND NEW TESTAMENTS ERAS.  (a)  A school district shall offer to

students in grades nine or above an elective course in the history

and literature of the Old Testament era and an elective course in

the history and literature of the New Testament era.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured