Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Texas public schools required to teach Bible this year SFOG

Posted by   + Show Post

Texas public schools required to teach Bible this year

Posted: Aug 14, 2009 05:48 PM

Updated: Aug 17, 2009 08:09 AM

By Sara Story
Posted by Michael Hetrick

WHITEHOUSE, TX (KLTV) - The school year is almost here, and if literature of the Bible is not already offered in your child's school, it will be this fall. 

Books are a common sight in classrooms around the nation,  but the Bible is one book that is not. Come this fall, a Texas law says all public schools must offer information relating to the Bible in their curriculum.    

"By the end of the year, what they begin to realize is that it is pervasive. You can't get away from it.  The kids came back and were like 'It's everywhere,'" said John Keeling, the social studies chair at Whitehouse High School.  Whitehouse already offers a Bible elective. "The purpose of a course like this isn't even really to get kids to believe it per say. It is just to appreciate the profound impact that it has had on our history and on our government," said Keeling. 

The law actually passed in 2007, but this will be the first school year it is enforced because the bill says,  "The provisions of this act pertaining to a school district do not take effect until the 2009-2010 school year."

This has gained mixed reactions from East Texans.  "I think it is a good thing because a lot of kids don't have that experience, and they already want to take prayer out of school as it is-- and you see where our kids are ending up!" said Tyler resident Laura Tucker.  

Tyler resident Havis Tatum disagress with Tucker. He said, "I don't want anybody teaching their religious beliefs to my child unless they want to send their child to my house and let me teach them my religious views. There is no difference."

School officials tell us schools haven't enforced this law because of confusion over the bill's wording and lack of state funding.

For now, each school district must find a way to fill the requirement before the seats are filled with students.  

We would like to know what you think about this story.  Click here to leave your comments and read  the contents of Texas House Bill 1287.

http://www.kltv.com/global/story.asp?s=10933571

EDIT: Here is a link to the bill

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/80R/billtext/html/HB01287I.htm

From what I understand, the Bible course is elective, they are not supposed to use it as a religious indoctrination class, but they aren't required to have any other religious courses but the one about the Bible.

by on Aug. 17, 2009 at 2:38 PM
Replies (81-90):
Aries
by Member on Aug. 21, 2009 at 11:13 PM

Choices are out there. Nothing wrong with that. I say offer everything. What would be wrong with that? Embrace it.

ARIES :-)

ilovemymonkeys4
by on Aug. 21, 2009 at 11:18 PM

Quoting texanmommy:

Quoting ilovemymonkeys4:

Quoting texanmommy:

Quoting ilovemymonkeys4:

Quoting texanmommy:

Quoting ilovemymonkeys4:

Quoting Stefanie1085:

Quoting ilovemymonkeys4:

Because I don't think they are teaching it as a religious text.  The bible is one of the most controversial and known texts out there. It is constantly being interpreted through a religious context. However I think this course is steering from that. Well I'm hoping anyhow, I don't know what the motives are for requiring it be taught. Perhaps it is to appease the many christians who feel as if they themselves are prejudiced against. I'm not saying I agree with that but there are many who feel that way so maybe this was an attempt to quiet those who claim their rights are violated?

Whether they end up teaching it as a religious text (which IMO still remains to be seen), the fact that they are requiring a course solely on the Bible but not requiring one for, say, the Quran, makes a statement. Because the Bible is a religious text regardless of how they teach it, the fact that they are mandating a class on it ONLY speaks volumes. It is like saying "Christianity is more important so we're requiring a course on the Bible ONLY". The Quran is also a very influential text, and misunderstood by many.

Oh come on, it's because it's texas! : ) There is no such thing other than southern baptist beliefs down there... what's the quran?  (sarcasm)  I do agree though that perhaps other courses should be offered but I really don't have an issue with this if students are not forced to take the class. And I don't see it becoming that way because the ACLU would be all over it if it did.... they love cases like this... : )

I find that statement rather rude and insulting. Just because we live in the south we are not back wood hillbillies. I have no idea how they intend to teach this class, nor do you. If it were up to me, it would be a religious class, and ALL religions would be covered to some degree. If students elected to take a religious class, and voted on which religions got more coverage, that would make it representative of the students, not the government or parents. Too bad the school board wont get to decide it either. The State will mandate what material will be used and studied. I have not seen the text to be issued, as I am sure you have not either.

Seriously where in my text did I imply that texans are back woods hillbillies? I don't remember writing that and I couldn't find it so could you please show me where? FYI I grew up in Texas, lived there for 20 years so I know what it's like and what the people are like. And actually yes I do have an idea what they will teach in this class as it's written in the actual law (there's a link up there for you to see it) I don't know exactly what the curriculum is but I do have an idea of what they'll be teaching as the law specifically states what the purpose of the class is for.  Again like I said I agree that as far as religion being taught that all religions should be given equal opportunity to be taught (like a worlds religion class) BUT this is an ELECTIVE that is not meant to be taught as a religious class, if it is then people can and WILL sue those who violate what the law CLEARLY states! 

You do not have to WRITE something for it to be implied by the tone of the text... But since you no longer live in Texas, why so pissy?

Seriously how do you get tone out of text? Does text even have sound? You said that I was rude and insulting by saying all they uphold down there are southern baptist beliefs and by saying this I implied that texans are backwoods hillbillies... seriously? And I'm pissy because you obviously don't know what you are talking about and haven't read the law since you were the one who first jumped on my case about not knowing. I have an issue with people running their mouths about things just because they assume they knew what someone meant. or they know how a person feels about something...

and I have an issue with people who lump everyone together for their own purpose

Crawfish....Please see RED above that does indicate TONE, a sarcastic tone...and BTW, since you want to say text has no tone, I was NOT running my mouth, I was typing...And it was rude and insulting for you to SAY all they uphold down there are SB beliefs. It is a falsehood. So maybe you don't know how the people in Texas ARE. Maybe you just know how the ones were that you had contact with???

Sarcasm implies that I was not SERIOUS.... I was making light of the situation... you took something personal that wasn't even directed toward you as I said I was making light of the situation. I am well aware that everyone who lives in Texas does not just have sb beliefs, there are catholics, jewish, muslims, and other people of different religions. I'm not an imbecile to assume that everyone believes the same especially when even christians are not all lumped into the same category. How about when you think someone is insulting you because obviously you felt I was attacking you and saying you were a backwoods hillbilly (which you still never answered how in the world what I said implied that, sounds like you must have a guilty conscience) why not address the concern like a freaking civil adult and say hey what did you mean by that because I'M interpreting it this way... common sense huh? And out of everything I said about the topic you pick one thing and decide to take it out of context and assume I'm insulting the integrity of texans. As I said I grew up in Texas I know how the people are down there, MOST are of a SB belief but I'm not so foolish to believe that everyone is of a SB belief. Again you just assume that I think that because you didn't read all of my responses and picked just one thing to bitch about when you yourself obviously didn't read the law that this freaking post is about!  

Stefanie1085
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2009 at 11:20 PM

Quoting ilovemymonkeys4:

Quoting texanmommy:

Quoting ilovemymonkeys4:

Quoting texanmommy:

Quoting ilovemymonkeys4:

Quoting Stefanie1085:

Quoting ilovemymonkeys4:

Because I don't think they are teaching it as a religious text.  The bible is one of the most controversial and known texts out there. It is constantly being interpreted through a religious context. However I think this course is steering from that. Well I'm hoping anyhow, I don't know what the motives are for requiring it be taught. Perhaps it is to appease the many christians who feel as if they themselves are prejudiced against. I'm not saying I agree with that but there are many who feel that way so maybe this was an attempt to quiet those who claim their rights are violated?

Whether they end up teaching it as a religious text (which IMO still remains to be seen), the fact that they are requiring a course solely on the Bible but not requiring one for, say, the Quran, makes a statement. Because the Bible is a religious text regardless of how they teach it, the fact that they are mandating a class on it ONLY speaks volumes. It is like saying "Christianity is more important so we're requiring a course on the Bible ONLY". The Quran is also a very influential text, and misunderstood by many.

Oh come on, it's because it's texas! : ) There is no such thing other than southern baptist beliefs down there... what's the quran?  (sarcasm)  I do agree though that perhaps other courses should be offered but I really don't have an issue with this if students are not forced to take the class. And I don't see it becoming that way because the ACLU would be all over it if it did.... they love cases like this... : )

I find that statement rather rude and insulting. Just because we live in the south we are not back wood hillbillies. I have no idea how they intend to teach this class, nor do you. If it were up to me, it would be a religious class, and ALL religions would be covered to some degree. If students elected to take a religious class, and voted on which religions got more coverage, that would make it representative of the students, not the government or parents. Too bad the school board wont get to decide it either. The State will mandate what material will be used and studied. I have not seen the text to be issued, as I am sure you have not either.

Seriously where in my text did I imply that texans are back woods hillbillies? I don't remember writing that and I couldn't find it so could you please show me where? FYI I grew up in Texas, lived there for 20 years so I know what it's like and what the people are like. And actually yes I do have an idea what they will teach in this class as it's written in the actual law (there's a link up there for you to see it) I don't know exactly what the curriculum is but I do have an idea of what they'll be teaching as the law specifically states what the purpose of the class is for.  Again like I said I agree that as far as religion being taught that all religions should be given equal opportunity to be taught (like a worlds religion class) BUT this is an ELECTIVE that is not meant to be taught as a religious class, if it is then people can and WILL sue those who violate what the law CLEARLY states! 

You do not have to WRITE something for it to be implied by the tone of the text... But since you no longer live in Texas, why so pissy?

Seriously how do you get tone out of text? Does text even have sound? You said that I was rude and insulting by saying all they uphold down there are southern baptist beliefs and by saying this I implied that texans are backwoods hillbillies... seriously? And I'm pissy because you obviously don't know what you are talking about and haven't read the law since you were the one who first jumped on my case about not knowing. I have an issue with people running their mouths about things just because they assume they knew what someone meant. or they know how a person feels about something...

Oh goodness, the point of this post is that they want to teach the BIBLE in PUBLIC SCHOOL. Does it really matter what state? Honestly, I was a little ofput by your Texas quote too, but no you did not say we are all backwoods hillbillies and you added that you were using sarcasm, so I didn't address it. Everybody looks at every state differently, we all have our stereotypes. Let's not take it so personal =)

tericared
by on Aug. 21, 2009 at 11:25 PM

Quoting Stefanie1085:

Oh goodness, the point of this post is that they want to teach the BIBLE in PUBLIC SCHOOL. Does it really matter what state? Honestly, I was a little ofput by your Texas quote too, but no you did not say we are all backwoods hillbillies and you added that you were using sarcasm, so I didn't address it. Everybody looks at every state differently, we all have our stereotypes. Let's not take it so personal =)

some people just dont get it

Aries
by Member on Aug. 21, 2009 at 11:25 PM

I agree with you. I really don't have anything to add to it.

ARIES :-)

MrsRStewart
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2009 at 11:27 PM

I am torn on this.  I think is good to have the Bible in school, and to have prayer in school.  However, I would like to know how it is being presented.  If it is being presented as just a book abd being blasphemed, then no, it is not good.  If it is taught as God's word, or even just let public school teachers bring up the Bible in a historic context once in awhile.    It all depends on how the class is being taught.

I think it is strange that the article does not even mention the fact that the class is an elective.  Also, it is required for all schools, but the state refuses to pay for materials or training.  It only means that every school will be teaching something diffferent. 

a wedding website

ilovemymonkeys4
by on Aug. 21, 2009 at 11:28 PM

Quoting Stefanie1085:

Quoting ilovemymonkeys4:

Quoting texanmommy:

Quoting ilovemymonkeys4:

Quoting texanmommy:

Quoting ilovemymonkeys4:

Quoting Stefanie1085:

Quoting ilovemymonkeys4:

I agree sorry I got off topic!

texanmommy
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2009 at 2:30 PM

Quoting ilovemymonkeys4:

Quoting Stefanie1085:

Quoting ilovemymonkeys4:

Quoting texanmommy:

Quoting ilovemymonkeys4:

Quoting texanmommy:

Quoting ilovemymonkeys4:

Quoting Stefanie1085:

Quoting ilovemymonkeys4:

I agree sorry I got off topic!

Yes , I agree, and I do get it, I was just ticked about something else, I apologize for taking it out on you. I started out just trying to draw your attention to how your words seemed like you had an issue with thinking people from Texas are stupid. Saying sarcastically that they do not know what a Holy Book is unless it is a Bible certainly implies that don't you think? And btw I am not SB, so no, not a guilty conscience here. Not dense either. I try to consider how my words will effect others before I put them out there. I did not worry about it with you, because you seemed not to care how your statement might be perceived. Again, I apologize directly to you, for intentionally pushing the envelope with your statement. No hard feelings?  

thomamomma76
by Member on Aug. 22, 2009 at 2:31 PM

That's wonderful! Good for them!

ilovemymonkeys4
by on Aug. 22, 2009 at 3:12 PM

I myself am from Texas like I said. I have only lived outside of texas for 3 1/2 years now. I take offense when people think Texans are dumb because believe me alot Indiana folks laugh about Texas. I'm a pretty funny person, I try to make light of situations but not at the expense of another's integrity. I apologize for that and I can see how that statement could be interpreted wrongly. No hard feelings here. And if you would have asked ME three years ago what the quran was, I wouldn't have been able to tell you.

Yes , I agree, and I do get it, I was just ticked about something else, I apologize for taking it out on you. I started out just trying to draw your attention to how your words seemed like you had an issue with thinking people from Texas are stupid. Saying sarcastically that they do not know what a Holy Book is unless it is a Bible certainly implies that don't you think? And btw I am not SB, so no, not a guilty conscience here. Not dense either. I try to consider how my words will effect others before I put them out there. I did not worry about it with you, because you seemed not to care how your statement might be perceived. Again, I apologize directly to you, for intentionally pushing the envelope with your statement. No hard feelings?  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)