Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Another example of the 'wonderful' stimulus pkg hard at work

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2009 at 6:39 PM
  • 12 Replies

Poll

Question: Should they be able to spend the money on whatever they want?

Options:

yes

no

as long as it's for the kids

whatever they want but no cash back

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 14

View Results

http://www.13wham.com/news/local/story/County-Executive-Rampant-Abuse-in-School-Supply/7zQK1vZtp06KFBLC--Xuew.cspx

There have been numerous news reports of rampant welfare abuse due to this 'school supply' program. I have heard that many parents were simply buying a pack of gum and getting the rest back in cash. WTF?????? I am just so DAMN glad that my tax money went to these welfare people getting the new Madden 10 or a new plasma TV. ( sarcasm) IS it any wonder that the hard working " average" people are pissed the FU** off??? No wonder people don't WANT to get off welfare. Why would they?? Have another kid, the eagle shits a bigger check. Our country went in debt up to our eyeballs so these people can get the latest game platform??? Thank you Obama!!!! (sarcasm)

Hitler gave great speeches TOO!!!!!!

by on Aug. 17, 2009 at 6:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stormcris
by Christy on Aug. 17, 2009 at 6:45 PM

The idea behind the stimulus was spend spend spend and that is what they did. They still had to buy school stuff.

momof6nokc
by on Aug. 17, 2009 at 6:46 PM

I wondered about abuse and fraud when I heard about this program.  I wondered who and how this program would be overseen.

I agree with you that this would be one of the myriad of reasons we have sooooooooo many citizens on welfare.  Why work when your neighbor is working and the government is taking 40% of HIS paycheck and giving some to you?

I disagree with you that this is Obama's fault however.  I am NOT an Obama supporter (quite the opposite in fact) but the blame lies on the people who took the money and bought an X-Box.  A portion of the blame goes to the folks who handed out the money with no strings attached!!!!  Obama's fault?  No, I don't think so.

Kathy

Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind.  "Pooh," he whispered.  "Yes, Piglet?"  "Nothing" said Piglet, taking Pooh's paw, "I just wanted to be sure of you."  ~Winnie The Pooh

mistynights234
by on Aug. 17, 2009 at 6:59 PM

Its truly to bad when a few rotten eggs spoil it for those who are honest upfront people.  Just because you recieve assistance doesnt make  you a thief of the system.  Once upon a time I recieved assistance for a short time.  I didnt take advantage and I paid taxes before and after that instance in my life. 

Im sorry but your attitude is offensive. 

Its to bad that you choose to bunch everyone in need together with those that took advantage.  Please remember that in EVERY income level there are scumbags.  Your tax dollars did help alot of people. Not everyone on assistance is a scumbag. 

RedRowan
by on Aug. 17, 2009 at 6:59 PM

If you got an unexpected check, what would you spend it on?

rocklovinggirl
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2009 at 7:40 PM

They should not spend it on whatever they want. Period.

Soon to be BFing, selective vaxing, cloth diapering and baby wearing momma to Josiah! Loves World of Warcraft, scrapbooking, reading, rock music, tattoos, the color pink and the Vampire Lestat! TX born and raised, open minded, Ron Paul supporting Libertarian, loving Army wife and most importantly Christian!
mamadixon
by Gold Member on Aug. 17, 2009 at 7:48 PM

Once again this is crap.If you are on assistance~shop at the thrift store..like I have to do on a school teacher salary.Just because you are on PA does not mean the state should buy your kid new clothes.Even school supplies~here in our county,things are donated for that purpose.Why couldn't the Feds just send in boxes of paper and pencils for Pete's sake.This just invited fraud and showed yet again that the government is made up of a bunch of numb nuts who need to get their hands off my pay check.They couldn't send these parents a letter and let them know what the program was for in advance?OMG..this beats all, for a minute anyway.We'll see what happens next...

sassyandy124
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2009 at 10:13 AM

A couple things. 1) I was not referring to everyone on welfare, but the group illustrated. Sorry, I thought that was obvious. 2) Let's not pretend that everyone on welfare is a hardworking person down on their luck. There are generations who have known NOTHING but welfare, and they know how to beat the system. 3) I am not blaming only Obama, BUT when the stimulus pkg went out to the states, Obama had a direct say in how it was spent. That's why a lot of states considered NOT accepting it. So yes, he could have stopped it, he could have put provisions on it as he did with other programs the money was spent on. He IS unfortunately the potus so that means the 'buck' stops with him. Especailly when it's something HE personally pushed through, and had such a personal involvement in the decision process. 4) The parents were NOT spending it on school supplies that's  the point.

Hitler gave great speeches TOO!!!!!!

rozepyle
by on Aug. 18, 2009 at 10:14 AM

fuck you

DAH02
by on Aug. 18, 2009 at 10:18 AM

Wow, where were you ladies when I posted a question about this.  LMAO!!!  Everyone pretty much tore me up with my opinion.   I simply stated tat yes there is some people that deserve and would use it for what its supposed to be used for.  Then there is others that wouldn't.  I believe they should have given out vouchers like a WIC that tells you exactly what you could buy with it. 

Blueroses_78
by Member on Aug. 18, 2009 at 10:36 AM

Well, when it comes to the welfare system, I can really only tell my story:

I was married, and had just given birth to my son. I filed for divorce when my son was 4 months old, for reasons I won't get into on this post. I applied for nursing school and was accepted, eventually graduating with honors. But I am unable to work, go to school full time, attend clinicals, and take care of my son, so I applied for food stamps, and a welfare check. I still had my medical card from when I had my son, because I had no insurance and needed to be able to see an OB. The amount of money I received each month was $301.00 and the amount of food stamps I received was $255.00 a month. I used the money to buy diapers, wipes, bottles, and clothes for my son, and used the food stamps to feed the two of us. I lived with my parents, and would not have received an increase in the money even if I had lived on my own. I simply do not understand how other people can live off what they get from welfare. There was no way I could have done that, even if I had had another child they said my money would only increase by $200.00., That's still not even close enough to afford rent and utilities. 

I had to use the EBT card, which controlled my food stamps and my money, and there was NO cash back option. It's like a debit card, and I was not allowed to ask for cash back. So I don't see how these parents are getting cash back.  The only way they could would be by using the paper food stamps - which I don't think the DHHR allows anymore for just this reason. 

Are they getting paper vouchers for the school supply program?

babies
pregnancy
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured