Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

NO LINK THIS WAS SENT TO ME>>CLICK ON BLUE IN FIRST REPLY

Staunchly anti-choice politicians and far-right groups like the Family Research Council and Concerned Women for America are shamefully claiming that health-care reform will require "an abortion mandate." Sadly, the lies are taking hold and women could pay the price.

Our anti-choice opponents are flooding the airwaves and blogosphere with outrageous distortions and outright lies about health-care reform.

This week, CNN’s "American Morning" showed a town hall meeting in Texas where crowds voiced fears that health-care reform will "fund abortions"— and the reporters didn't correct the distortion.1 Our opponents are getting media attention with shocking protests which we’ve all seen at town hall meetings and other venues:

by on Aug. 20, 2009 at 9:04 PM
Replies (11-20):
3kids1dog
by on Aug. 21, 2009 at 9:49 AM

There is a lot of propaganda out there, and we as women just have to use our God given brains, and we can sort it out for ourselves. I hate it when groups think they need to educate us, or the govenrment needs to make decisions for us, because they think that we are too stupid to figure things out on our own. The whole health care thing gives me a headache. 

nysa76
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2009 at 10:01 AM

I don't want my tax dollars going towards any abortion that's made by choice by a woman who chose to engage in intercourse unless there is a medical reason for it.

That being said... I don't believe I read anywhere that elective abortions would be covered but something about an abortion option?  I wonder how they'd keep all that separate?  I'm all for family planning and birth control but I don't see elective abortion as either of those. 

Would I vote against a health care bill that included abortion for the medical needs of mother or baby and rape victims?  Absolutely not.  Does that make any sense?  Over tired and not sure I'm getting my point across the right way.

"I'm selfish, I'm impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle, but if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." - Marilyn Monroe

tericared
by on Aug. 21, 2009 at 10:37 AM

Our anti-choice opponents are flooding the airwaves and blogosphere with outrageous distortions and outright lies about health-care reform.

Shiiloe
by Member on Aug. 21, 2009 at 10:42 AM

Ok..so abortions shouldn't be covered by insurance.  So are the crack babies that are born from the mothers that didn't want them in the first place...should they be covered by insurance?  Why should insurance cover one and not the other? Or should the government step in and force the crack mother, that they are lucky to even be able to find, into following a healthy pregnancy regiment.  But clearly this mother isn't thinking properly, so she won't really take care of her self and she won't take the pre-natal vitamins and she won't follow healthy eating habits...so they should probably just institutionalize her until after the baby is born.  This is getting more expensive by the second! And as far as reconstructive surgery goes...do we accept the insurance companies take on this? Because I'm reasonably sure that what 'they' think is cosmetic and what everyone else thinks is cosmetic can be very different things.

Quoting morningdove831:

I don't think abortions should be covered by insurance, nor should any other elective procedure unless it is something medically necessary (like reconstructive surgery after a car wreck or severe burns, etc). 

But yeah, I'm one of those crazy pro-lifers. 

Friday
by HRH of MJ on Aug. 21, 2009 at 10:44 AM

The lies, distortions and venom that come from the so called religious right, which is neither, never cease to amaze and disgust. I never knew that lying to get your way was a family value, guess that's what I get for being an evil Liberal Heathen.

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

chickaboom73
by Member on Aug. 21, 2009 at 11:20 AM

Yes Indeed:

The government is practicing to take care of us. It is beneficial that all of our jobs went overseas. It is wonderful that we are having pills pushed down our throats at every turn. Its so great that the government is taking care of us and is willing to take charge of our health, our homes, our cars and our money. 

(if you know me the sarcasm is SSOO thick)

tericared
by on Aug. 21, 2009 at 1:22 PM

Quoting Friday:

The lies, distortions and venom that come from the so called religious right, which is neither, never cease to amaze and disgust. I never knew that lying to get your way was a family value, guess that's what I get for being an evil Liberal Heathen.

bow down

Imsupermom2
by Cynthia on Aug. 21, 2009 at 2:06 PM

I don't see why this is any different then what has happened in the world for years with protestors....Thats part of protesting, not thats its right but it certainly isn't anything new

dustinsmom1
by JENN on Aug. 21, 2009 at 2:07 PM

Quoting athenax3:

Quoting resamerie:

women across the country could be denied reproductive-health care

I like these fancy words, dress up abortion as 'reproductive healthcare'. Has a nice ring to it instead of tax money going to suck babies from the womb until their bones are cruched to pieces and their brain is turned to mush until they die.

YOUR RIGHT!!!  I like the term "reproductive healthcare" so much better! Makes me feel all warm and cozy now!

So the only time you've ever gone to the gyno is to get an abortion? hmmmm....I've been for lots of things,  but you're association of the term implies that there is no other care required for a woman specifically except abortions.

Guess when my Gyno removed cancerous cells from my cervix at 15 they weren't performing reproductive health care? What about the blood test to find out whether or not I was pregnant, or all those ultrasounds? (the 3-d was my favorite by the way!). Guess none of that was reproductive health care huh?

I'll keep my money, guns and freedom Mr. Obama.......You keep the change!

emilysmom1966
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2009 at 2:27 PM

Who's paying fo these children? Most of these children are born to this and no one can do anything about it. ............. Why don't you protest for these children?

•·  just over 1,500 children die each year in the United States from child abuse and neglect

•·  905,000 children were the victims of child abuse in 2006

•·  70 percent of child abuse victims are under age three years old

•·  over 80 percent of the abused children were abused by one the child's parent

•·    neglect is the most common form of child abuse, followed by physical abuse, sexual abuse, psychological abuse, and lastly, medical neglect

Child Abuse Cases and Stories

These child abuse cases and stories straight from the headlines of recent newspapers can help to highlight how common child abuse is so that everyone may be more likely to report suspected child abuse and neglect:

•·                        Neglect - Feb. 2009 - A mother in Dallas, Texas, was charged with neglect after her nine-year-old died from complications of diabetes after she failed to help her manage her disease.

•·                        Physical/Emotional Abuse - June 2008 - A mother in North Central Texas has her three children taken away because of a case of Munchausen syndrome by proxy.

•·                        Physical Abuse - Jan. 2009 - Two parents in Dallas, Texas, were charged with abusing their six-month-old infant so severely that he was in intensive care and it was thought that he was not going to be able to recover.

•·                        Physical Abuse - Jan. 2009 - A mother's boyfriend was charged with the death of her six-year-old son.

•·                        Physical Abuse - Dec. 2008 - A father was charged with the death of his three-month-old infant who was found unresponsive, with bone fractures and liver lacerations.

•·                        Physical Abuse - Feb. 2009 - A father in Lodi, California, was charged with physical abuse after a school employee noticed and reported burns on a six-year old student, which were thought to have been inflicted by a clothes iron. She had also been beaten with a stick and her mother was charged with child endangerment.

•·                        Physical Abuse - Feb. 2009 - A mother and her live-in boyfriend in Janesville, Wisconsin, were charged with abuse after repeatedly hitting her three-year-old daughter to the point that she required emergency brain surgery.

•·                        Physical Abuse - Feb. 2009 - The boyfriend of a child's mother in Wilmington, Delaware, hit and killed a 16-month old girl because she wouldn't stop crying.

•·                        Physical Abuse - Feb. 2009 - A nine-year-old was beaten by his mother's boyfriend in Lawrence, Massachusetts.

•·                        Physical Abuse - Jan. 2009 - In Fall River, Massachusetts, a mother was charged with burning her four-year-old foster son with a curling iron, causing third-degree burns that required skin graft surgery.

Unfortunately, many more cases of child abuse go unreported.

Luc and Emily my reason for breathing!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN