Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Police reject candidate for being too intelligent

Poll

Question: I think that discrimination based on intelligence

Options:

is fine

should be against the law

unsure

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 14

View Results

Police reject candidate for being too intelligent

A US man has been rejected in his bid to become a police officer for scoring too high on an intelligence test.

Robert Jordan, a 49-year-old college graduate, took an exam to join the New London police, in Connecticut, in 1996 and scored 33 points, the equivalent of an IQ of 125.

But New London police interviewed only candidates who scored 20 to 27, on the theory that those who scored too high could get bored with police work and leave soon after undergoing costly training.

Mr Jordan launched a federal lawsuit against the city, but lost.

The 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New York upheld a lower court's decision that the city did not discriminate against Mr Jordan because the same standards were applied to everyone who took the test.

He said: "This kind of puts an official face on discrimination in America against people of a certain class. I maintain you have no more control over your basic intelligence than your eye color or your gender or anything else."

He said he does not plan to take any further legal action and has worked as a prison guard since he took the test.

The average score nationally for police officers is 21 to 22, the equivalent of an IQ of 104, or just a little above average.

Ok this is just ridiculous and then we wonder about police brutality and them making ignorant decisions. (not saying all cops are like this just that it happens too much) I think he should have won his lawsuit what do you think?

by on Aug. 21, 2009 at 10:07 AM
Replies (11-14):
angelachristine
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2009 at 2:24 PM

I can't quote the studies b/c it's been awhile but they studied rat populations in varying communities and the denser the population the more violence. They also studied human populations and found the same. Now most of the really dense populations are in areas of poverty projects, jails etc.... They found more violent crime there.

Is it b/c of lower iq's, poverty, overcrowding, all three who knows. I may be wrong but that's what they taught me in my classes.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

I didn't realize that the disciplines of psychology and sociology were teaching that poverty and crime were a function of intelligence.  Interesting.

Quoting angelachristine:

I'm not saying smart people can't be brutal too but through my psychology and sociology classes they always said the lower the intelligence the higher the chance of violence.  You can observe it even in the animal kingdom.

Those that are not as smart are more prone to violence also when you get a bunch of people in one small area (as an example the projects, jail etc...) you will find way more violence also.

Quoting Peanutx3:

What does police brutality have to do with intelligence?  People can be brilliant and still commit crimes of police brutality and discrimination.  A persons intelligence says nothing aobut their personality or beliefs.

Quoting angelachristine:

Ok this is just ridiculous and then we wonder about police brutality and them making ignorant decisions. (not saying all cops are like this just that it happens too much) I think he should have won his lawsuit what do you think?

angelachristine
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2009 at 2:26 PM

I also want to say I have nothing against those with lower iq's my daughter is mentally handicapped and we don't live in the projects but I'm not rich either. So I'm not trying to offend anyone but I'm sure I probably will.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Aug. 21, 2009 at 2:35 PM

What you have described is a corollary.  In sociology, a corollary doesn't prove cause and effect.  It's similar to that study that found that cities with more churches have a higher rate of crime.  Using the logic you are using, one could conclude that religious people are more likely to be criminals, when in actuality it more likely has to do with a general increase in population.  It's an important distinction when in your original post you are drawing a causal relationship between intelligence and police brutatlity. 

Quoting angelachristine:

I can't quote the studies b/c it's been awhile but they studied rat populations in varying communities and the denser the population the more violence. They also studied human populations and found the same. Now most of the really dense populations are in areas of poverty projects, jails etc.... They found more violent crime there.

Is it b/c of lower iq's, poverty, overcrowding, all three who knows. I may be wrong but that's what they taught me in my classes.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

I didn't realize that the disciplines of psychology and sociology were teaching that poverty and crime were a function of intelligence.  Interesting.

dustinsmom1
by JENN on Aug. 22, 2009 at 10:43 AM

Quoting Stefanie1085:

Quoting dustinsmom1:

Both myself and my SO have lost  chances at good jobs in the past because they said we were "overqualified", is it discrimination? I don't think so, if your not right for the job...your just not right.

But shouldn't you be able to decide if a job is right for you or not? What if you really need a job, any job, and can't get one because you are 'overqualified'? I really wanted to be in this radiology school, but got turned down for being 'too smart'. I still want to be one, but had to go a different direction because they thought I really wouldn't like the job...

If you could 'choose" what job is right for you, I'd be a fat cat CEO of some major software co. where i don't do shit but sit on my ass and roll in the dough...it doesn't work that way. the employer needs to be able to make some decisionsabout who they hire, its their co. after all....I understand the police force is a little different than a fortune 500 co., but still, there has got to be some sort of rules as to who can hired and who cannot. if not just anybody would be signing up for a badge and a gun...scarey huh?

I'll keep my money, guns and freedom Mr. Obama.......You keep the change!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN