Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Double Standard

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2009 at 2:56 AM
  • 14 Replies

Why is it in certain groups that members of that group and/or culture may say things but when a person who does not have the beliefs of that group or culture says the same thing it becomes wrong?

I have seen statements made in many arguments about a persons right to speak on things or say certain things about a group.

What is the reasoning?

by on Aug. 22, 2009 at 2:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tygermommanikki
by Member on Aug. 22, 2009 at 3:12 AM

No clue but then again not much seems to make any sense to me on here lately as far as what we can and cannot post / reply/ say in which groups.

I am Tygermommanikki. A 27 year old happily married woman. I have two beautiful special needs sons and one baby watching me from heaven. I am not one who can summarize my parenting style or myself in a paragraph so if you really wanna know me introduce yourself and we will see where it goes. And if you don't the "paragraph siggy's" why again are you reading this?

mamapotter
by Member on Aug. 22, 2009 at 3:26 AM

Can you give an example?  I'm not sure what you mean. 

Dr. Phil said that the secret to inner peace was to finish everything you started.  So I looked around the house, finished the book I wanted to read, my old Prozac prescription, the rest of the cheesecake, and a bottle of Jack Daniels.  You wouldn't believe how calm I am now.
unspecified42
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2009 at 3:41 AM

Wow, have I heard this question a lot!

Why can a black person use the N-word, but not a white person? Etc...

Because members fo the same culture/religion/race are not using it in a derogatory way, that's why. When people of similar experience use words within their own group (religion, culture, race) that are used by outsiders to cause offense there is no sting because they share the experience.

stormcris
by Christy on Aug. 22, 2009 at 3:48 AM

Where one group can talk about multiple groups but another group cannot speak on their group. Or where it is ok for one group to say a certain statement about their own group or refer to their group in a certain way but it is taboo for another group to say the exact same thing. I am trying to be concise but non-specific because I do not want it to focus on just one group, so I hope that I have explained it better.

Quoting mamapotter:

mamapotter
by Member on Aug. 22, 2009 at 3:58 AM

Hmmm...I think I see what you mean.  What's the old saying?  If people say things about another group, they should expect to be talked about as well.  I tell my own kids not to "dish out what they can't take".  In on other words, if you make fun of your sister don't cry when she makes fun of you, lol.

Quoting stormcris:

Where one group can talk about multiple groups but another group cannot speak on their group. Or where it is ok for one group to say a certain statement about their own group or refer to their group in a certain way but it is taboo for another group to say the exact same thing. I am trying to be concise but non-specific because I do not want it to focus on just one group, so I hope that I have explained it better.

Quoting mamapotter:

Dr. Phil said that the secret to inner peace was to finish everything you started.  So I looked around the house, finished the book I wanted to read, my old Prozac prescription, the rest of the cheesecake, and a bottle of Jack Daniels.  You wouldn't believe how calm I am now.
momandvet
by on Aug. 22, 2009 at 3:59 AM

Okay I am so much more confused now.  Can you create a fake example?

Quoting stormcris:

Quoting mamapotter:

Click Here   To take the Might As Well Vote For A Republican Challenge

stormcris
by Christy on Aug. 22, 2009 at 4:01 AM

Yes. Good analogy to help define it. Thank you.

Quoting mamapotter:

Hmmm...I think I see what you mean.  What's the old saying?  If people say things about another group, they should expect to be talked about as well.  I tell my own kids not to "dish out what they can't take".  In on other words, if you make fun of your sister don't cry when she makes fun of you, lol.

Quoting stormcris:

Quoting mamapotter:

stormcris
by Christy on Aug. 22, 2009 at 4:05 AM

Sorry. OK generalized examples would be the fact that people are called racist for speaking against Obama although not truly racist. People are called satan spawn for questioning Christian actions although many Christians condeme them. You are a nut if you agree with a certain political stance but the other side does the same and it is just fine.

Quoting momandvet:

Quoting stormcris:

Quoting mamapotter:

momandvet
by on Aug. 22, 2009 at 4:14 AM

Thanks. Now, I get it.  

I wish I could explain it.  I guess hypocrisy comes naturally to people. 

Some people do seem to have an unhealthy hatred towards Obama, so I think that is why it is associated with racism.  You have to admit he has been accused of some ridiculous things. 

Quoting stormcris:

Sorry. OK generalized examples would be the fact that people are called racist for speaking against Obama although not truly racist. People are called satan spawn for questioning Christian actions although many Christians condeme them. You are a nut if you agree with a certain political stance but the other side does the same and it is just fine.

Quoting momandvet:

Click Here   To take the Might As Well Vote For A Republican Challenge

stormcris
by Christy on Aug. 22, 2009 at 4:25 AM

I get that part, but the double standard is it is perfectly ok according to some to continue to say White N- or Wigga when they reference white people, yet let one white person call another white person the N- word and its still derogatory toward the black race(according to some)?

Quoting unspecified42:

Wow, have I heard this question a lot!

Why can a black person use the N-word, but not a white person? Etc...

Because members fo the same culture/religion/race are not using it in a derogatory way, that's why. When people of similar experience use words within their own group (religion, culture, race) that are used by outsiders to cause offense there is no sting because they share the experience.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN