Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Why is it in certain groups that members of that group and/or culture may say things but when a person who does not have the beliefs of that group or culture says the same thing it becomes wrong?

I have seen statements made in many arguments about a persons right to speak on things or say certain things about a group.

What is the reasoning?

by on Aug. 22, 2009 at 2:56 AM
Replies (11-14):
stormcris
by Christy on Aug. 22, 2009 at 4:26 AM

Yes, but for the most part not much different than what was said about the last administration.

Quoting momandvet:

Thanks. Now, I get it.  

I wish I could explain it.  I guess hypocrisy comes naturally to people. 

Some people do seem to have an unhealthy hatred towards Obama, so I think that is why it is associated with racism.  You have to admit he has been accused of some ridiculous things. 

Quoting stormcris:

Sorry. OK generalized examples would be the fact that people are called racist for speaking against Obama although not truly racist. People are called satan spawn for questioning Christian actions although many Christians condeme them. You are a nut if you agree with a certain political stance but the other side does the same and it is just fine.

Quoting momandvet:

Okay I am so much more confused now.  Can you create a fake example?

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Aug. 22, 2009 at 8:38 AM

Most people are afraid of difference. They only know their own little tiny world/circle. They're afraid (of what I don't know) of stepping out and seeing something different. People are very closed minded and are afraid that they may be wrong if they listen, never mind consider, what another opinion is.

And most people are too serious. They don't know how to laugh at themselves, or the group as a whole. They don't know how to lighten up. They assume things are derogatory when they're not. They take their importance to be more than it is.

Every race, nationality, group, has a whole list of names that are considered derogatory. I'm Irish. We have derogatory names/terms that are given to us as well. Some people use the term without even knowing what it is......but it's only a stupid name/term.....why get all bent out of shape. 

iluvmommyhood58
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2009 at 8:39 AM

Entitlement, hypocrisy, favoritism, apathy... 

stormcris
by Christy on Aug. 22, 2009 at 2:40 PM

That makes a lot of sense, especially about the serious part.

Quoting EireLass:

Most people are afraid of difference. They only know their own little tiny world/circle. They're afraid (of what I don't know) of stepping out and seeing something different. People are very closed minded and are afraid that they may be wrong if they listen, never mind consider, what another opinion is.

And most people are too serious. They don't know how to laugh at themselves, or the group as a whole. They don't know how to lighten up. They assume things are derogatory when they're not. They take their importance to be more than it is.

Every race, nationality, group, has a whole list of names that are considered derogatory. I'm Irish. We have derogatory names/terms that are given to us as well. Some people use the term without even knowing what it is......but it's only a stupid name/term.....why get all bent out of shape. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)