Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Factcheck.org: Tax money will pay for abortion in the health-care bill

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2009 at 9:54 AM
  • 12 Replies

http://factcheck.org/2009/08/abortion-which-side-is-fabricating/

Champions find a way... Losers find an excuse

by on Aug. 22, 2009 at 9:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pepperlynns
by on Aug. 22, 2009 at 10:01 AM

im copying this from emilysmom....

·  just over 1,500 children die each year in the United States from child abuse and neglect

•·  905,000 children were the victims of child abuse in 2006

•·  70 percent of child abuse victims are under age three years old

•·  over 80 percent of the abused children were abused by one the child's parent

•·    neglect is the most common form of child abuse, followed by physical abuse, sexual abuse, psychological abuse, and lastly, medical neglect

Child Abuse Cases and Stories

These child abuse cases and stories straight from the headlines of recent newspapers can help to highlight how common child abuse is so that everyone may be more likely to report suspected child abuse and neglect:

•·                        Neglect - Feb. 2009 - A mother in Dallas, Texas, was charged with neglect after her nine-year-old died from complications of diabetes after she failed to help her manage her disease.

•·                        Physical/Emotional Abuse - June 2008 - A mother in North Central Texas has her three children taken away because of a case of Munchausen syndrome by proxy.

•·                        Physical Abuse - Jan. 2009 - Two parents in Dallas, Texas, were charged with abusing their six-month-old infant so severely that he was in intensive care and it was thought that he was not going to be able to recover.

•·                        Physical Abuse - Jan. 2009 - A mother's boyfriend was charged with the death of her six-year-old son.

•·                        Physical Abuse - Dec. 2008 - A father was charged with the death of his three-month-old infant who was found unresponsive, with bone fractures and liver lacerations.

•·                        Physical Abuse - Feb. 2009 - A father in Lodi, California, was charged with physical abuse after a school employee noticed and reported burns on a six-year old student, which were thought to have been inflicted by a clothes iron. She had also been beaten with a stick and her mother was charged with child endangerment.

•·                        Physical Abuse - Feb. 2009 - A mother and her live-in boyfriend in Janesville, Wisconsin, were charged with abuse after repeatedly hitting her three-year-old daughter to the point that she required emergency brain surgery.

•·                        Physical Abuse - Feb. 2009 - The boyfriend of a child's mother in Wilmington, Delaware, hit and killed a 16-month old girl because she wouldn't stop crying.

•·                        Physical Abuse - Feb. 2009 - A nine-year-old was beaten by his mother's boyfriend in Lawrence, Massachusetts.

•·                        Physical Abuse - Jan. 2009 - In Fall River, Massachusetts, a mother was charged with burning her four-year-old foster son with a curling iron, causing third-degree burns that required skin graft surgery.

Unfortunately, many more cases of child abuse go unreported.

lilyrose73
by on Aug. 22, 2009 at 10:05 AM

Those statistics have nothing to do with this post.  This post is for the people who say this bill will not cover abortions... they, like the Pres are WRONG...

And, if you want to kill your baby, do it with your own money, not with tax dollars...

Champions find a way... Losers find an excuse

Friday
by HRH of MJ on Aug. 22, 2009 at 1:28 PM

Didn't want you to think the pro choice people were avoiding this post, saw it last nite but had to go.

I wish we could have a real honest debate about health care reform but both sides are willing to lie, distort,whatever to get people on their side. 

I don't have a problem with my tax money going for this but am resigned to the fact that there are plenty of others things I don't want my tax dollars going to. There is no way to get unanimous approval from all voters for every tax expenditure, not gonna happen.

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

athenax3
by on Aug. 22, 2009 at 1:40 PM

To begin with- to put it out there, I am pro-choice. Having said that, my response will come as no surprise.

I don't care- they use tax dollars to kill innocent EXISTING people all over the world for causes we may or may not know about- they use our tax dollars to research things we may or may not know about or agree with if we did, they use tax dollars for a plethora of things I may if I knew about them all find deplorable- once the funds are placed into the communal pot so to speak, our ability to dictate with great specifity what is and isn't covered is largely compromised, and that is merely factual, not intended to be apathetic nor inciteful- but reality.

And finally, thus far nothing has been approved, and the wording can and probably will change significantly so until we know exactly what is or isn't covered we don't really have a position to take on the topic.

While I understand pro-lifers concerns based on their views on the topic, the fact is abortion is a legal procedure- there isn't anything barring a women from excercising her legal right ot access such a thing, and though it may be barred on the principal that it is elective, to bar it based on moral or religious conviction would be wrong as well.

momandvet
by on Aug. 22, 2009 at 2:29 PM

Our tax dollars are being used to kill innocent people all around the world.  These are living breathing human beings.

Click Here   To take the Might As Well Vote For A Republican Challenge

We have the solution to global warming, so what are we afraid of?

unspecified42
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2009 at 2:32 PM

I'll be glad that people who need and want abortions are able to get them. I don't agree with war for any reason, but a whole heck of a lot of my tax dollars go towards that lovely cause.

IhartU
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2009 at 2:37 PM

Seems like pro-life people should be called pro-fetus instead of pro-life because they seem to not give two shi**ts about anyone BUT the unborn. Once they slide out of the vaginal host, they are forgotten.

Blueroses_78
by Member on Aug. 22, 2009 at 4:00 PM

well, as the genius George Carlin once said : "If you're 'preborn' you're fine...if you're 'preschool' you're fucked."

Quoting IhartU:

Seems like pro-life people should be called pro-fetus instead of pro-life because they seem to not give two shi**ts about anyone BUT the unborn. Once they slide out of the vaginal host, they are forgotten.

babies
pregnancy
tericared
by on Aug. 22, 2009 at 4:08 PM

Quoting Blueroses_78:

well, as the genius George Carlin once said : "If you're 'preborn' you're fine...if you're 'preschool' you're fucked."

Quoting IhartU:

Carlin made a lot of sense...

PamR
by Pam on Aug. 22, 2009 at 4:12 PM

Wouldn't HMOs be allowed to decide whether or not they would cover abortion?

By the way, I think that those statistics about child abuse are very relevant to this issue.  Children who are unplanned for, born to parents who are financially struggling, are young, and are undereducated, are most at risk for being abused.  

Wouldn't it be nice to see some of the time, energy and money spent picketing abortion providers used to help these kids, maybe provide mentoring for young moms, job training, education, etc.?

Love the fetus, hate the child.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN