Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

I have seen a couple of comments, over the past couple of weeks, that truly baffle me. There are really still people here in America that believe that education is NOT a right, and that there should NOT be public education? If so, please tell me why.

http://gmoerch.avonrepresentative.com/
A pond am I, not deep, not shallow.
by on Aug. 24, 2009 at 11:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
sugarsmom2
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 7:59 PM

I have found that a lot of the teachers are not in education to help young people learn. the desire to make and mold a child doesnt seem to be there . it is a job and that is it . nothing more . My sister was a teacher . she was a good teacher . she put her whole self into the learning process . they loved her and she them . she lost her spark for teaching and the money just couldnt pay her bills . so she quite the job and went to into sells . she works at sears and makes more part time then she did as a teacher . this is sad .  we need to make sure that the pay is enough to cover the  work done . why do we not want to pay for certain things that are in connection with our children ? baby sitters and child care teachers . the list just grows with thought . the teachers my children had didnt care about them . they found favorties and those kids did well but no others .. the chosen few . one teacher told me my son was a good student but he could do better so he graded him lower then what he did . to make him work harder . now this didnt work . he got mad and stopped taking the class . when you try and everytime you find the door shut in your face and you are told hey thats good but it could be better . try harder next time .

sugarsmom2
Kim370
by Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:06 PM

So, to the people who believe that  nowhere does it state that the Constitution should provide education to its people, those people need to take their kids out of the public school system.  Also, the ones who believe the country should not provide for the health and welfare of its people, then you need to drop your social security, medicare, and your parents should not use medicare/ Medicaid either.  If others do not have the right, then you dont either.

Eilish
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:10 PM

Rights are derived from owning property. If I own a piece a land, for example, I can do whatever I want with it. I can share it or keep it to myself. I can rent it out; I can sell it; I can protect it with lethal force. You have no right to it; you cannot live on it, walk on it, or otherwise use it without my permission.

Now take education .... unless you own the books, education is not a right. Books belong to other people; the knowledge stored up in one's brain belongs to that person. If you have knowledge that I want, I must offer something in exchange for it. I have no right to it; I cannot make you give me the knowledge in your head. It is intellectual property.

Education is not right (for many of the same reasons that health care is not a right).

Eilish
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:13 PM

Quoting Kim370:

So, to the people who believe that  nowhere does it state that the Constitution should provide education to its people, those people need to take their kids out of the public school system.  Also, the ones who believe the country should not provide for the health and welfare of its people, then you need to drop your social security, medicare, and your parents should not use medicare/ Medicaid either.  If others do not have the right, then you dont either.

Unfortunately SS is mandatory. You cannot opt out. If that were an option, trust me I would drop out of it. The money I put into only pays for other government programs which the government is paying for with "borrowed" money from SS. There will be NONE when I come to retirement. Because of that, I would LOVE to not pay into it. BTW .... SS was "sold" to the American public as "insurance." Kind of like what the government is doing now with health care ... trying to sell it to the American public as "insurance."

We will also not be putting out kids in public schools.

Gypsyuma
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:16 PM

Quoting Eilish:

Rights are derived from owning property. If I own a piece a land, for example, I can do whatever I want with it. I can share it or keep it to myself. I can rent it out; I can sell it; I can protect it with lethal force. You have no right to it; you cannot live on it, walk on it, or otherwise use it without my permission.

Now take education .... unless you own the books, education is not a right. Books belong to other people; the knowledge stored up in one's brain belongs to that person. If you have knowledge that I want, I must offer something in exchange for it. I have no right to it; I cannot make you give me the knowledge in your head. It is intellectual property.

Education is not right (for many of the same reasons that health care is not a right).

Ok.... that has got to be one of your worst posts ever Eilish..... and worst analogies too.

What..ever.....

Gypsyuma
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:19 PM

Quoting Eilish:

Quoting Kim370:

Unfortunately SS is mandatory. You cannot opt out. If that were an option, trust me I would drop out of it. The money I put into only pays for other government programs which the government is paying for with "borrowed" money from SS. There will be NONE when I come to retirement. Because of that, I would LOVE to not pay into it. BTW .... SS was "sold" to the American public as "insurance." Kind of like what the government is doing now with health care ... trying to sell it to the American public as "insurance."

Um... yah.  Did you happen to read that quote about "brotherhood"?  I really really hate it when some people think an entire nation's system should be built around their beliefs and their conveniences.

So because you won't be needing a public school or Medicare, then you think the rest of us should do without too?  Listen up everyone - Eilish here won't be needin' no public schoolin' - so dem dar schools are closin' down.

What happened to this damn country???

Eilish
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:53 PM

Yeah? Then refute it!

Quoting Gypsyuma:

Quoting Eilish:

Ok.... that has got to be one of your worst posts ever Eilish..... and worst analogies too.

What..ever.....

Eilish
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:54 PM

Quoting Gypsyuma:

Quoting Eilish:

Quoting Kim370:

Um... yah.  Did you happen to read that quote about "brotherhood"?  I really really hate it when some people think an entire nation's system should be built around their beliefs and their conveniences.

So because you won't be needing a public school or Medicare, then you think the rest of us should do without too?  Listen up everyone - Eilish here won't be needin' no public schoolin' - so dem dar schools are closin' down.

What happened to this damn country???

Oh get off your high horse! The fact is that our Constitution doesn't provide for the government that you are looking for. Don't like it? Then leave. But to violate the Constitution is to violate the rule of law.

Eilish
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:00 PM

Quote:http://www.constitutionpreservation.org/assets/chapter2.pdf

A right is defined by Black’s Law Dictionary as “a power, privilege, (sic) faculty, or demand, inherent in one person and incident upon another … the powers of free action.”2 Please note that rights are “inherent” in a person. This means that it is physically impossible for rights to be extracted from a person by any means.

a right is something you can do without asking for permission.The opposite of a right, therefore, is something you cannot do without asking for permission. Any time you need permission to do something it is a privilege. Black’s Law Dictionary defi nes this as “a particular and peculiar benefit or advantage enjoyed by a person, company, or class, beyond the common advantages of other citizens. An exceptional or extraordinary power or exemption.”3 Rights and privileges are opposites. I have three corollaries to the defi nition of rights. They are:

• All rights are derived from property;
• Every right implies a responsibility; and
• The only limitation on your rights is the equal rights of others.

adulation
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:01 PM

Quoting Stefanie1085:

Quoting nysa76:

Our education system is not free.  The wages and supplies costs come from somewhere. 

I believe our public education system is failing.  I am yearly disappointed with what my kids learn... or rather don't learn at a public school.  But that's why we supplement and why my oldest is (temporarily at least) home schooled.

I believe the reason our public education system is failing is because of the lack of parent involvement. We should be supplementing. We as parents should be encouraging them to learn and show interest and discipline in teaching them. I think public school is very important.

i agree with this.  I think every American has a right to a a basic education,  which the public school system attempts to provide,  but i think parents and families need to do more to supplement and encourage education. 
If a person happens to find a way to be able to fund a higher education, that is great.
If a person can afford to pay the extra funds to send their child[ren] to schools they feel are "better", that is great too.  It still doesn't take away the right all other children have to a basic education.

think of the children who end up in foster care, shelters, state custody - do they really not deserve the right to an education just because they were orphaned or abandoned or abused ??

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)