• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hot Topic (8/25): Should prisoners be allowed to smoke?

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:12 AM
  • 47 Replies

Poll

Question: Prisoners should be allowed to smoke.

Options:

Yes.

No.

Other. (Explain)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 57

View Results

From NYTimes

A government official says smoking has been banned, at least temporarily, at a prison where several buildings were burned down during an inmate riot. The justice and public safety secretary, J. Michael Brown, said no cigarettes, matches or lighters had been allowed at Northpoint Training Center in Burgin since the riot on Friday night. Eight guards and eight inmates were injured in the melee. Seven hundred of the 1,200 inmates had been moved.

Should prisoners be allowed to smoke?

Should they be allowed any luxury items at all? 

What do you think? 

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Alison_C
by Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:14 AM

I'm just going to say that I would not want to be the one to take away their cigarettes.

mamapotter
by Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:23 AM

No, prison is for punishment.  Take away everything!  When my kids are grounded I take away the things they like as punishment.  Why should prisoners get to keep their luxuries?

Dr. Phil said that the secret to inner peace was to finish everything you started.  So I looked around the house, finished the book I wanted to read, my old Prozac prescription, the rest of the cheesecake, and a bottle of Jack Daniels.  You wouldn't believe how calm I am now.
mamaof2angles
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:23 AM

exactly. and so what if they smoke??  they already get free education and weight lifting and cable tv so whats the diff??

Quoting Alison_C:

I'm just going to say that I would not want to be the one to take away their cigarettes.

SillyJessi
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 4:03 AM

yes, and in the vein of "compromise," limit to 3 a day and have the guard light it for them.

i like what pp said, "i wouldn't want to be the one to take their cigs"

morningdove831
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:17 AM

Quoting mamapotter:

No, prison is for punishment.  Take away everything!  When my kids are grounded I take away the things they like as punishment.  Why should prisoners get to keep their luxuries?

I agree! 

Serenity7
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:23 AM

It is not my place to say weather they should be allowed to smoke or not.

forever.gif picture by Hope7

resamerie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:34 AM

I had to say 'other'. Difficult question. One side of me says that if they have them, and I'm not paying for them, then go ahead and let them smoke. On the other hand, taxpayers will be paying for all the illnesses that go along with smoking while they are incarcerated.   

• angel-1-1-1-2.jpg picture by kfpep
SWasson
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:39 AM

In prisons and psychiatric hospitals, the ability of guards and nurses to deny smoking privileges helps prevent people from misbehaving. If you take away prisoners' ability to smoke, you take away a simple, easy way to control behavior.

nbr1sahm
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:24 AM

Quoting mamaof2angles:

exactly. and so what if they smoke??  they already get free education and weight lifting and cable tv so whats the diff??

Quoting Alison_C:

I was actually thinking of ripping off a liquor store so I can get my Masters Degree at no charge.

nbr1sahm
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:30 AM

Quoting SWasson:

In prisons and psychiatric hospitals, the ability of guards and nurses to deny smoking privileges helps prevent people from misbehaving. If you take away prisoners' ability to smoke, you take away a simple, easy way to control behavior.

Ummmm... are you saying that banning smoking will make it easier to control their behavior?

Have you ever seen someone go through Nicotine withdraws? Quite frankly, I am a psycho bitch from hell when I try to quit... mood swings, intolerance... I'd hate to see a prisoner, who may likely have a short in his wires, put down his smokes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)