• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Officer Who Crashed, Left Man In Coma To Face Judge

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 7:53 AM
  • 3 Replies

Eyewitness News crews will be in court today when a former Altamonte Springs police officer faces a judge for a crash that left a 20-year-old man in a coma.

Officer Mark Maupin was speeding 104 MPH without lights or sirens operating when he slammed his patrol car into the car Erskine Bell was riding in last year.

The car Erskine Bell was riding in sat mangled in the middle of the intersection at Rose Avenue and Maitland Boulevard. After the collision, Maupin's squad car came to rest in a wooded area on the side of the road.

Florida Highway Patrol said it could only cite Maupin for failure to use due care and not wearing his seatbelt because there were no eyewitnesses. In Seminole County, the fine for failure to use due care is $151.

The windshield of the Honda Civic was shattered as the compact car was crushed and 20-year-old Erskine Bell was left in a coma last November.

An internal investigation that took months found Maupin was traveling too fast and endangering other drivers. However, no one is sure why he was going so fast without lights or sirens, since he was not responding to a call.

During Eyewitness News' months of covering the crash, our crews found out Maupin had been in trouble before for speeding, sexual harassment and failure to appear in court. He eventually resigned before he could be fired.

http://www.wftv.com/news/20543930/detail.html

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 7:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
mamaof2angles
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:00 AM

Good ole Florida once again making themselves look bad, if its not parents killing their children, its childrengetting kidnapped, or getting their body parts stuck in pool drains or so forth.  Personally think that officer should rot in jail, but will probably get off on a technically as they usually do.

tericared
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:02 AM

Florida Highway Patrol said it could only cite Maupin for failure to use due care and not wearing his seatbelt because there were no eyewitnesses. In Seminole County, the fine for failure to use due care is $151.

This ticks me off......no eyewitnesses? Are you kidding me,,,what about the facts? he wasnt going on a call and was going over 100....

mamaof2angles
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:03 AM

EXACTLY!!!!!!

Quoting tericared:

This ticks me off......no eyewitnesses? Are you kidding me,,,what about the facts? he wasnt going on a call and was going over 100....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)