Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddler strangled by pet python, mom and boyfriend charged

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:27 AM
  • 11 Replies

(Aug. 24) - A Florida woman and her boyfriend have been charged with third-degree murder in the death of her 2-year-old daughter, who was strangled by a pet python.

Jaren Ashley Hare, 19, was charged with third-degree murder, manslaughter and child abuse in the death of her daughter, Shaiunna Hare, the Orlando Sentinel reported Monday.

Hare's live-in boyfriend, Charles Jason Darnell, 32, faces the same charges, the newspaper said, citing the Sumter County sheriff's department.

Shaiunna was killed July 1 by an 8 ½-foot Burmese albino python that had escaped from its glass tank in the Oxford home. The snake was found curled around the toddler's body. Wildlife officials removed the python.

In a call to 911, a sobbing Darnell said: "The baby's dead! Our stupid snake got out in the middle of the night and strangled the baby.”

An autopsy determined Shaiunna had died of asphyxiation, but there were several bite marks on her body as well, WKMG-TV in Orlando reported.

Officials said Darnell, who owned the snake, did not have a permit to keep the python as a pet. They also said the snake was not properly secured.

Burmese pythons are native to Southeast Asia. Florida has seen species’ population explode as snake owners dump their pets in the Everglades, where they pythons have flourished and reproduced.

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamaof2angles
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:28 AM

I hope they throw the book at them, that poor child.

tericared
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:33 AM

Shaiunna was killed July 1 by an 8 ½-foot Burmese albino python that had escaped from its glass tank in the Oxford home.

They forgot to mention that the tank was covered by a blanket and the snake had gotten out a few hours before and they put it back....This happened minutes from my home..

mamaof2angles
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:34 AM

OMG!!!!!! now I really hope they rot in jail.

Quoting tericared:

Shaiunna was killed July 1 by an 8 ½-foot Burmese albino python that had escaped from its glass tank in the Oxford home.

They forgot to mention that the tank was covered by a blanket and the snake had gotten out a few hours before and they put it back....This happened minutes from my home..

larissacst
by Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:38 AM

my eyes are tearing up.....poor lil girl. i always feel so horrible when i read about a child dying. can you imagine how they feel? they know no horror but yet are expeirencing the most horrifying thing of all

Dylansmom32509
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:49 AM

Why cant people modify their life for their children? An 8 foot python shouldn't be in a home with such a small child.

tericared
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:51 AM

Quoting Dylansmom32509:

Why cant people modify their life for their children? An 8 foot python shouldn't be in a home with such a small child.

Thank you and in a tank without a proper top and lock....

unspecified42
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2009 at 2:43 AM

An 8 foot python is perfectly safe in a house with a child if the parents are responsible.

Far fewer people die from snakes (particularly constrictor-types) than from dog attacks, horses, etc. The REAL problem is that these parents were neglectful and irresponsible.

rocklovinggirl
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2009 at 5:06 AM

Quoting tericared:

Quoting Dylansmom32509:

Thank you and in a tank without a proper top and lock....

Ditto!

Soon to be BFing, selective vaxing, cloth diapering and baby wearing momma to Josiah! Loves World of Warcraft, scrapbooking, reading, rock music, tattoos, the color pink and the Vampire Lestat! TX born and raised, open minded, Ron Paul supporting Libertarian, loving Army wife and most importantly Christian!
fnpdocgrrl
by Boudica on Aug. 26, 2009 at 8:10 AM

I heard about this story right after it happened in one of my other CM groups.

This story has been haunting me.  My son is barely younger than Shaiunna was....and the thought of something as heinous as this happening to him makes me choke in tears.

This poor baby girl.  She looked to her parents for protection....and THIS is what she got.

I hope those two fuckbags get what's coming to them. 

Quoting tericared:

BaBiiMaMa89
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 9:55 AM

Quoting tericared:

a BLANKET?? are you kidding me! did they really think that was gonna keep it in the tank? And knowing that their lil girl was in the same house. omg, some people should just not have kids...

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured