• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Google outs 'Skankiest in NYC' blogger - so she decides to sue them

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:37 AM
  • 3 Replies

Poll

Question: Does Rosemary Port have a case against Google?

Options:

Yes, it's an invasion of privacy

No, Google had no choice

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 9

View Results

Rosemary Port to sue Google over Liskula Cohen 'skank' blog

By staff writers

Liskula Cohen
Model ... Liskula Cohen, pictured, forced Google to reveal the identity of blogger Rosemary Port. Jeff Day / New York Post

A New York [City] blogger who described a model as a "skank" is planning to sue Google for $18 million after the internet giant revealed her identity.

Rosemary Port was sued by former Vogue cover girl Liskula Cohen after Google was forced to reveal her identity following a court order, The New York Daily News reports.

Ms Cohen had sought the identity of the fashion blogger so she could pursue a defamation case against her,
 it had earlier been revealed

Ms Port's offending part of the blog - which was run on Google's blogger.com - read "I would have to say the first-place award for ‘Skankiest in NYC' would have to go to Liskula Gentile Cohen".

She also described Ms Cohen as an “old hag” and a “psychotic lying whore”.

Ms Port had originally defended her actions in court, claiming blogs “serve as a modern-day forum for conveying personal opinions, including invective and ranting”, and should not be treated as factual assertions, a claim rejected by the judge.

"This has become a public spectacle and a circus that is not my doing,"  Ms Port said.

"By going to the press, she defamed herself."

The 29-year-old New York fashion student  now says Google didn’t do enough to protect her privacy.

"When I was being defended by attorneys for Google, I thought my right to privacy was being protected," she told the NY Daily News.

"But that right fell through the cracks. Without any warning, I was put on a silver platter for the press to attack me.

"I would think that a multi-billion dollar conglomerate would protect the rights of all its users."

Her suit claims Google "breached its fiduciary duty to protect her expectation of anonymity," Ms Port’s lawyer, Salvatore Strazzullo, said.

"I'm ready to take this all the way to the Supreme Court," Mr Strazzullo said.

"Our Founding Fathers wrote The Federalist Papers under pseudonyms. Inherent in the First Amendment is the right to speak anonymously.

"Shouldn't that right extend to the new public square of the internet?"

Mr Strazzullo said: "Ms Cohen loves the spotlight. She brought this notoriety on herself. Then she used a PR circus to defame my client."

But Cohen's lawyer, Steven Wagner, hit back saying the model was never chasing media attention.

"The idea that Liskula brought this on herself is repulsive,” he said.

“If we had thought for a minute that the Google case would have brought more attention to the anonymous blogger's site, we never would have started it."

Source: http://www.news.com.au/technology/story/0,28348,25973718-5014239,00.html

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
mamaof2angles
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:39 AM

OMFG!!!!! what a dang crybaby, if she didnt want to be "outed" then maybe she should have thought before she blogged.

tericared
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:54 AM

yep...free speach and the internet,,,oh please it does not give any one the right to type what ever they want.... 

CharmaineL
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:13 AM

This Rosemary Port is an idiot to think that she's a) totally anonymous online and b) that Google would stand by her and defend her privacy when it was ordered by a court to reveal her identity.

She attacked the wrong lady.  She totally deserved to be outed. Obviously she's a big coward if she had to hide behind a blog to personally attack this woman.  I think she underestimated Cohen, who did the right thing and this case is defintely setting the right precedent.  It's ironic that Port had the gall to repeatedly defame her but is now crying 'victim.' 

What a loser. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)