Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SAVE the MAC & CHEESE!

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:02 AM
  • 27 Replies

Okay, so I got this in my email this morning from mom's rising- little tid-bit about Kraft mac/cheese

Quote:

Did you know that Kraft Macaroni and Cheese is formulated differently for countries in Europe than for the U.S.?1 I didn't either until I read The Unhealthy Truth, a book about the toxicity of America's food supply.

The fact is, that in 2008, Kraft removed artificial colorings, like yellow #5, and chemical sweeteners, like aspartame, from the products that they distribute in Europe, Australia, and other developed countries due to consumer concern over scientific studies that link these synthetic ingredients to hyperactivity and asthma in children. But, they haven't done the same thing here in the U.S.!2

So, what say you? I've heard a lot of ladies on this site complain about people having to make right choices, etc. Well, when you consider that our food supply is just different than it is elsewhere, you've got to admit that the 'choice' isn't as much of an opportunity here.

If you'd like to sign the petition- go here

Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants. - Michael Pollan

And while you're at it, remember that when you purchase food, you're voting with your dollar. Local farms, diversity, sustainability- all these should be positively answered by your vote. 

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kgsharber
by Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:04 AM

They had to do that. Those ingredients have been banned in most countries. 

Stefanie1085
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:04 AM

Why haven't these changes been made in the US? Not cost effective? 

kgsharber
by Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:12 AM

Quoting Stefanie1085:

Bingo. And theFDA basiclly said if you don't want your child to have these ingredients, then don't serve it to them. It is up to the parents to take responsibility for what their children eat.

But, these yes are in A LOT of our products & in most fast food.

Stefanie1085
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:22 AM

Quoting kgsharber:

Quoting Stefanie1085:

Bingo. And theFDA basiclly said if you don't want your child to have these ingredients, then don't serve it to them. It is up to the parents to take responsibility for what their children eat.

It just makes me so annoyed. They make these items inexpensive and people that live on a budget can't afford to buy many healthier choices because, not only are there not many health choices out there, but they are more expensive. It seems you need a degree in nutrition just to learn how to buy healthy food for your family.

nysa76
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:32 AM

That's why it's an extremely rare occasion that my family eats foods like these.  When we do Mac & cheese, we boil noodles, add real cheese and bake it, usually with some kind of veggie mixed in.  I can feed all 4 of my kids this version for about the same price (about $5).  Most processed food is really just not very healthy.  I do agree with a PP though, that buying healthy is generally more expensive... definitely more time consuming to make.

"I'm selfish, I'm impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle, but if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." - Marilyn Monroe

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:35 AM

Some people just don't have $5 per meal to spend.

Therefore the 'choice' is illusive.

Quoting nysa76:

That's why it's an extremely rare occasion that my family eats foods like these.  When we do Mac & cheese, we boil noodles, add real cheese and bake it, usually with some kind of veggie mixed in.  I can feed all 4 of my kids this version for about the same price (about $5).  Most processed food is really just not very healthy.  I do agree with a PP though, that buying healthy is generally more expensive... definitely more time consuming to make.

The liberal person shall be enriched, and he who waters shall himself be watered. Proverbs 11:25

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:36 AM

Quoting kgsharber:

Quoting Stefanie1085:

Yes, they rely on parental responsiblity, while allowing Kraft and all the others to claim health benefits on their boxes.

If it were up to me, Kraft would no longer exist.

The liberal person shall be enriched, and he who waters shall himself be watered. Proverbs 11:25

nysa76
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:39 AM

I'd spend the same $5 on mac & cheese in boxes as well.  I'm a single mom with a low wage.  I understand quite well, in fact, being not able to afford a decent meal.

Quoting Raintree:

Quoting nysa76:

"I'm selfish, I'm impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle, but if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." - Marilyn Monroe

Stefanie1085
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:39 AM

Quoting Raintree:

Quoting nysa76:

Exactly. It seems that why they want us to be healthier, they continue to make it easier for us to be unhealthy. Which means we have to go to the doctor, pay copays, buy prescription meds, and feed into the system. Ugh.

Stefanie1085
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:40 AM

Quoting nysa76:

I'd spend the same $5 on mac & cheese in boxes as well.  I'm a single mom with a low wage.  I understand quite well, in fact, being not able to afford a decent meal.

Quoting Raintree:

Quoting nysa76:

Kraft mac n cheese is only $1.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)