Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Beck fires back

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:32 PM
  • 166 Replies

Glenn Beck returned to his FOX News program on Monday with considerably less advertising support.

Since his July 28th comments regarding President Obama, where Beck suggested that Obama was a "racist" and had a "deep-seated hatred for white people," 36 advertisers have announced that they will no longer support Beck's self-titled program.

Along with Wal-Mart, CVS, Lowe's and Best Buy distancing themselves from Beck, it was announced today that sixteen more companies have chosen not to do business with Beck's popular program.  Most notable are AT&T, Verizon Wireless, Sprint, Clorox, The UPS Store and Johnson & Johnson.

The exodus of advertisers from the popular FOX News program is due to Color of Change, an organization created to make government more aware and responsive to issues concerning African-Americans.

On Monday, Beck went after Van Jones, the co-founder of Color of Change.  Beck attempted to question Jones' background, saying he was arrested twice for political protests and calling him a "rowdy black nationalist."

Despite many advertisers backing down, some Glenn Beck fans are standing up.  The website DefendGlenn.com is a call to Beck fans to fight back against the Color of Change boycott.

Source:  http://www.examiner.com/x-11484-Boston-TV-Examiner~y2009m8d24-Glenn-Beck-returns-to-TV-with-fewer-advertisers-attacks-Color-of-Change-cofounder

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
trippyhippy
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:42 PM

Anyone know where there is a list of the advertisers that dropped him?  I want to make sure to give them my business as a show of support.

Gretchen2876
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:09 PM

Quoting Cafe GroupAdmin:

On Monday, Beck went after Van Jones, the co-founder of Color of Change.  Beck attempted to question Jones' background, saying he was arrested twice for political protests and calling him a "rowdy black nationalist."

Source:  http://www.examiner.com/x-11484-Boston-TV-Examiner~y2009m8d24-Glenn-Beck-returns-to-TV-with-fewer-advertisers-attacks-Color-of-Change-cofounder

*sigh* It seems that he doesn't learn either. There goes your show Glennie, hope your comments were worth it!

The way I see it, isn't necessarily the way you see it. Or the way it is, or ought to be. What's more important, is that we're all looking for it, and a way to see it.

Desi DeNardo (via Starbucks coffee cup)

nysa76
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:13 PM

I will be sure to support the advertisers who remain.  While I don't watch the program, I respect the freedom of speech and will support any who support our rights.

"I'm selfish, I'm impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle, but if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." - Marilyn Monroe

adulation
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:14 PM

Quoting trippyhippy:

Anyone know where there is a list of the advertisers that dropped him?  I want to make sure to give them my business as a show of support.

ditto.

norwegianwood
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:40 PM

Quoting Cafe GroupAdmin:

Glenn Beck returned to his FOX News program on Monday with considerably less advertising support.

Since his July 28th comments regarding President Obama, where Beck suggested that Obama was a "racist" and had a "deep-seated hatred for white people," 36 advertisers have announced that they will no longer support Beck's self-titled program.

Along with Wal-Mart, CVS, Lowe's and Best Buy distancing themselves from Beck, it was announced today that sixteen more companies have chosen not to do business with Beck's popular program.  Most notable are AT&T, Verizon Wireless, Sprint, Clorox, The UPS Store and Johnson & Johnson.

The exodus of advertisers from the popular FOX News program is due to Color of Change, an organization created to make government more aware and responsive to issues concerning African-Americans.

Despite many advertisers backing down, some Glenn Beck fans are standing up.  The website DefendGlenn.com is a call to Beck fans to fight back against the Color of Change boycott.

Well, IF you are going to POST on such, shouldn't you make sure you are POSTING unbiasedly on WHAT he ACTUALLY said...like STRAIGHT from the tape..THAT way you can be CERTAIN that there is NO bias making you appear to be promoting FALSE information...

We should ALL be asking questions about HOW this guy, unelected and UNVETTED by the FBI and NOT accountable to our representatives is writing legislation and effecting policies that affect US...including the cash for clunkers program and OTHERS...but yea....just keep shouting the mantra "yes. You CAN freaking destroy your country."

P

margroc
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:45 PM

Typical Beck, insert your little racial remark and as far as I have found Jones was only arrested once and Beck forgets to mention the fact that he subsequently won a lawsuit for being illegally arrested.  *sigh*

Quote:

“The state has no business in the bedrooms of the nation.” - Pierre E. Trudeau
norwegianwood
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:06 PM

Meet the Apollo Alliance...and ASK yourself...just WHO is running your country and energy policy...our politicians who could not even have time to READ a bill that MAGICALLY APPEARED in over a thousand already written pages...or an UNELECTED, Communist/Marxist sympathizer with the ear of the president. It CERTAINLY explains WHY the auto industry HAD to be taken OVER by the gov't to CONTROL it, rather than allowing it to file bankruptcy...AND this man is NOT ACCOUNTABLE to the people we ELECT to GOVERN us.

http://apolloalliance.org/about/

In addition to releasing The New Apollo Program, our key accomplishments in 2008 included:

• Publishing The Apollo Economic Recovery Act, Apollo’s proposal for a comprehensive quick start, clean energy economic recovery strategy to immediately create or retain 650,000 direct green-collar jobs and an additional 1.3 million indirect jobs in communities across the country.

• Gaining inclusion of $25 billion in the 2008 federal economic rescue package for low-interest loans to auto manufacturers who retool their factories to make cleaner vehicles. Apollo worked with Michigan Senator Debbie Stabenow to secure the loan provisions and funding.

• Securing funding to launch Apollo organizing campaigns in Missouri and North Dakota to build broad state, local and federal support for clean energy, good jobs initiatives.

• Convening a roundtable of policymakers and national business, labor, and environmental leaders to develop recommendations supporting the domestic manufacture of renewable energy systems and components – our “Made in America” manufacturing agenda from The New Apollo Program. We are working with several Midwest senators to incorporate these recommendations into recovery and stimulus packages, and in a broader energy bill expected to be introduced next year.(they were already working on a stimulus and recovery BEFORE we were even told we ...needed one. Well, that begs the question...DID WE?)

• Organizing Newark’s Green Future Summit in partnership with Newark, NJ Mayor Cory Booker and other national and local partners. The September 2008 summit and the year of planning leading up to it were the products of a commitment we made together at the Clinton Global Initiative last fall (this was in 2008, so this is in the works as far back as 2007) to help establish Newark as a national model for clean and efficient energy use, green-collar job creation, and green economic development.

• Writing and publishing Imagining Newark’s Green Future, a report documenting our year working in Newark. The report reviews our Newark project in depth and presents it as a model for how other cities and communities can organize green-collar job programs.

• Writing and co-publishing Green-Collar Jobs in America’s Cities, a guide for urban leaders about ways to expand local green-collar jobs. The guide explains how to link job creation and economic development strategies to methods of reducing CO2 emissions and meeting other energy goals. At the same time, we co-wrote (with the Center on Wisconsin Strategy and the Workforce Alliance) a state version of the report, Greener Pathways.

• Co-convening, with Green For All, a roundtable for local green-collar job practitioners (within the Apollo network and beyond) to discuss best practices and identify shared priorities. Like our reports and the summit, the roundtable is a tool for moving the idea of green-collar jobs from a theory to a reality across the country.

This is not RESPONDING to the demand of American citizens..it is deliberately setting out to SHAPE the IDEA that there is a demand and follow through with the pre-planned agenda. But you just keep "YES WE CAN-ING" Sheeple.

P

norwegianwood
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:18 PM

Meet the CONTRADICTORY comments in Color of Changes mission statement:

http://colorofchange.org/about.html

ColorOfChange.org exists to strengthen Black America's political voice. 

THAT my friends is called a THESIS statement. It is also a DECLARATIVE statement. IT and nothing else with all manner of 'quantifiers' and nicey-nice talk EXPLICITLY defines the total following commentary. And, coming from a college educated man like Van Jones...yeah, he KNOWS that.

They try later to 'include' everyone of color who is poor or sick etc by making the claim IGNORED WHEN REPUBLICANS have said it REPEATEDLY when accused of 'not addressing black issues'...that is that addressing poverty and jobs etc for blacks, the 'happy' side - effect is that it helps ALL people. THE DIFFERENCE is that when Republicans write legislation for the stimulus and HOW the jobs are to be DOLED OUT, they do NOT and WOULD NOT make explicit EFFORTS to make sure that he jobs went to ANY SPECIFIC race or group, but would HOPE to find the BEST qualified for the BEST price for the American people...PERIOD. BUT ANYONE who watched the discussions on HOW to spend the stimulus money FOR these jobs that Van Jones helped to WRITE and get funding for...yeah, that was ALL about making SURE The money went to blacks and other minorities and 'not necessarily just to those who already HAVE job training ....' etc. THAT was a discussion between the current labor sect and Rangel. So their DOUBLE TALK is on display if you only LOOK for it. The group AND the man are ALL about advancing BASED ON RACE only CERTAIN segments of the population to the DETRIMENT, if need be, of the ESTABLISHED and PROFITABLE companies that many OTHER Americans NEED for their retirement or employment. Good job.

P

katy_kay
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:31 PM

to quote a "great" (choke) President...'Freedom is a two way street'.  Beck shouldn't have his feelings hurt just because people choose not to advertising during his show and others are refusing to watch his program. 

a little flash back for context on the GWB quote. 

PamR
by Ruby Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:39 PM

Glenn just doesn't get it, does he?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)