Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nude model's pooch gets raves

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 4:24 PM
  • 12 Replies

Thoughts?

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 4:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stormcris
by Christy on Aug. 25, 2009 at 4:33 PM

I am happy to see this because the ultra skinny models were beginning to scare me.

Forget-me-not
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 4:34 PM

I have seen this before and LOVE IT!!!

Jennifer, Crunchy Student Midwife, Wife and mother to Hannah 13, Abby 8 and  Liam born June 15 2009

PamR
by Pam on Aug. 25, 2009 at 4:35 PM

It's nice to see a healthy, normal sized woman presented in a positive way (as opposed to giving her diet tips).  I would like it even more if I weren't going to turn the page and see size 2 models in every other part of the magazine.  How about not just doing the periodic story about how we are all supposed to love our bodies, even if they aren't model thin, and putting some normal sized woman in the magazines as models?

And I feel like I am living in an alternate universe when I see a size 12 woman described as "plus sized." 

MattisMommy08
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 4:47 PM

Too bad people dont get as excited, when I show my pooch!  lol

I also love the 'new' Dove campaign!

Click my logo to see my site!

Stefanie1085
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 4:53 PM

I think it is a very positive thing, especially for all the impressionable young girls out there, to see all the wonderful publicity on a not ultra skinny woman!

iluvmommyhood58
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:32 PM

What really caught me was her comment about "representation for people who don't fit into the" media driven "norm.. size 2". It makes me crazy that the media drives a norm that isn't normal. It's distorted views enough that she has to make a comment like that and her "plus size" picture is news. I think there's something wrong with that. I think there's something wrong with size 12 considered "plus". It's not an unhealthy size for someone who's, (I'm guessing at her height, not sure if they mentioned it) 5'10". 

PamR
by Pam on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:06 PM

A size 12 is considered "plus," and a 2 is the "norm."  I can tell you, it's not the norm for anyone I know.  My 12 year old daughter, who is 5'5" and weighs less than 100 pounds, is a size 2.  And I can tell you, she is skinny.  In her case, she's still growing, but adult women who are that thin are not healthy, I don't care what they say.  

momoftwins240
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2009 at 2:38 PM

Quoting Forget-me-not:

I have seen this before and LOVE IT!!!

MrsRStewart
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2009 at 2:56 PM

I always think it is interesting that a size 12 is a plus size model, and a size 0 or 2 is normal.  That man at the end made me mad when he said women would not buy magazines if they put pluz size women in magazines. 

a wedding website

PamR
by Pam on Aug. 26, 2009 at 3:01 PM

I remember seeing a magazine editor discussing this topic once, and she said that sales went down when they put plus-sized models in their magazines.  Apparently, women want to buy into this fantasy of being 100 pounds, although most of us will never be there.  She also said it was nearly impossible to get sample sizes in 10-12 from designers and manufacturers. 

I don't even buy fashion magazines anymore.  They don't address women my age or my size and I wouldn't look good in most of the clothing that is shown.  I do feel that by limiting themselves to such young and skinny girls, they leave out a whole segment of the population who would spend their money, though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured