Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

McDonald's Serving Racism with Burgers?

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:51 PM
  • 42 Replies

McDonald's Serving Racism with Burgers?

Monday, August 24, 2009

A website aimed at African-Americans has some people unhappy about their meals.

mc donalds

"Like the unique African Baobab tree, which nourishes its community with its leaves and fruit, McDonald's has branched out to the African-American community -- nourishing it with valuable programs and opportunities."

That's the description found on McDonald's 365Black website -- an Internet presence exclusively for the African-American. The site, which features Keith Sweat proclaiming his love for Chicken McNuggets, has some people as steamed as freshly made French fries. A blog on Fox Nation has upwards of 700 comments about the site, mostly from people who believe it to be "tactless," racist and blatant separatism. Many are calling for a Mickey D boycott.

What's all the hoopla about? Targeting a demographic has always been the cornerstone of media and advertising.

Is a consumer website created exclusively for one ethic group really any different?

Your Thoughts?

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
adulation
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:59 PM

uhm i have no idea but i hate mcdonalds and never go there as it is.  their food is disgusting, unhealthy, and offensive as far as i'm concerned, and that's enough to make me boycott them. 

though i don't think their intent was to create a racial divide, i can see why it would be taken that way...

Chick
by New Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:01 PM

bleh...why does anyone care? I sure don't. How does it effect me as a white person in any kind of negative way?

jenniamigo
by Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:10 PM

Mcdonalds should be boycotted for lots of different reasons

DOWN WITH THE CLOWN !!!

mghtymffn
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:21 PM

i'm not sure if it is racial or not, however, i do believe they tend to advertise to the lower class of people, whether it is low class blacks or whites,  since it is cheap food, i despise their food, and think everyone should avoid it.

loving wife to Michael, and mommy to xavier
katy_kay
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:32 PM

it's just odd....the Keith Sweat quote is odd.  It reads like GWB's quote:

"Too many good docs are getting out of the business. Too many OB-GYNs aren't able to practice their love with women all across this country."

mrs_khan07
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:41 PM

I think as far as McDonald's goes what we should really be worried about are the ads aimed at children. McDonalds is the main reason I took the TV out of the living room. I despise McDs and don't want them brainwashing my kid. Check this out, apparently they like to use subliminal messages, doesn't surprise me. They say it was a mistake, but you be the judge.

Mrs. Khan

mrs_khan07
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:42 PM

Quoting katy_kay:

it's just odd....the Keith Sweat quote is odd.  It reads like GWB's quote:

"Too many good docs are getting out of the business. Too many OB-GYNs aren't able to practice their love with women all across this country."

Haha! You're right! That's one of my favorite Dubbya quotes.

Mrs. Khan

tericared
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:32 PM

What's all the hoopla about? Targeting a demographic has always been the cornerstone of media and advertising.

PerseyG
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:37 PM

Meh. Boycotts are funny because, much like interwebz petitions, they don't really work on the grand scale of things. People who don't like McDonalds don't have to patronize them. Simple as that.

I happen to like their fries and they're the only place in my part of town with fresh-brewed sweet tea. They also employ alot of teenagers and elderly in our area, two demographics that have a helluva time getting a job. Therefore, I'm not someone with the pitchfork and torch aimed at McDonalds.

I'll also add that people can blame them for the obesity problem all they want but the reality is that they've(McDonalds) have been around serving the same greasy crud for decades. They aren't to blame as much the inability to get out of the chair, off the computer,away from the TV, off the Xbox,out of bed ect..

People need to start moving again.

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Aug. 26, 2009 at 12:09 AM

I think it's funny that they're boycotting McDonalds for feeling- left out or something. How about boycotting McDonalds for their part in driving up insurance rates, aiming advertising at children and demographics more likely to frequent their restaurant - WITH false claims about the nutritional value of their food? Why not those reasons?

The liberal person shall be enriched, and he who waters shall himself be watered. Proverbs 11:25

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)