Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Multitasking bad???

Posted by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 3:00 AM
  • 8 Replies

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/08/25/multitasking.harmful/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

I call BS on this, There are some jobs you HAVE to multitask. my job here at the hotel I mulititask all the time.

by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 3:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
stormcris
by Christy on Aug. 26, 2009 at 5:20 AM

The report is very accurate many many studies have been done on this. Multitasking is very good for distracting a person from their own emotions and real needs though.

mamaof2angles
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 5:40 AM

I still think its bull, if that were actually true NO ONE should be driveing you have to do muptiple things when driving.  and things like the military you HAVE to multitask, and also at hosptials it is bull, and I think its being used as a ploy to "dummy" down people even more.

Quoting stormcris:

The report is very accurate many many studies have been done on this. Multitasking is very good for distracting a person from their own emotions and real needs though.

stormcris
by Christy on Aug. 26, 2009 at 5:49 AM

Well I will call BS on the fact that a huge amount of research has not been done there have been studies done that show this but the suggestion is to take several breaks during the day to give your brain time to process. This is part of the whole reason they installed the 15 minute breaks in for the work day in many places. If you take 5-15 minute breaks every 2-2 1/2 hours it helps the situation. Going full speed ahead non-stop will cause overload and they have been saying that since sometime in the 80s and recommending the breaks.

Quoting mamaof2angles:

I still think its bull, if that were actually true NO ONE should be driveing you have to do muptiple things when driving.  and things like the military you HAVE to multitask, and also at hosptials it is bull, and I think its being used as a ploy to "dummy" down people even more.

Quoting stormcris:

mamaof2angles
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 6:05 AM

And so what if they have been saying this since the '80s, they have been spouting lots of things like the world was gonna end and, we were "suppsoed" to be so techinally advanced that by the year 2001 we were supposed to be living the the "Jetsons" i still call bull, I have multi-tasked ALL my school life and beyound and I have done FINE.

Quoting stormcris:

Well I will call BS on the fact that a huge amount of research has not been done there have been studies done that show this but the suggestion is to take several breaks during the day to give your brain time to process. This is part of the whole reason they installed the 15 minute breaks in for the work day in many places. If you take 5-15 minute breaks every 2-2 1/2 hours it helps the situation. Going full speed ahead non-stop will cause overload and they have been saying that since sometime in the 80s and recommending the breaks.

Quoting mamaof2angles:

Quoting stormcris:

mamapotter
by Member on Aug. 26, 2009 at 6:47 AM

Yes, but doing "fine" is not doing your best.  Just because you finished each task you were doing doesn't mean it was done as well or as thoroughly as if each task were done by itself and given your full attention. 

Quoting mamaof2angles:

And so what if they have been saying this since the '80s, they have been spouting lots of things like the world was gonna end and, we were "suppsoed" to be so techinally advanced that by the year 2001 we were supposed to be living the the "Jetsons" i still call bull, I have multi-tasked ALL my school life and beyound and I have done FINE.

Dr. Phil said that the secret to inner peace was to finish everything you started.  So I looked around the house, finished the book I wanted to read, my old Prozac prescription, the rest of the cheesecake, and a bottle of Jack Daniels.  You wouldn't believe how calm I am now.
mamaof2angles
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 7:17 AM

I do my job VERY WELL thank you, I have a 100% accureacy rate with doing the night audit, getting the checkouts in the morning done as well as getting the conferance rooms booked and checked in, and makeing resverations for our guests whether here at this property or another one.

Quoting mamapotter:

Yes, but doing "fine" is not doing your best.  Just because you finished each task you were doing doesn't mean it was done as well or as thoroughly as if each task were done by itself and given your full attention. 

Quoting mamaof2angles:

pcolovesfall
by Member on Aug. 26, 2009 at 10:56 AM

Ok when you're driving you should be driving,,,,I dispatch, multitasking is the name of the game, you better be able to do it....

rotPferd
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2009 at 11:01 AM

Quoting pcolovesfall:

Ok when you're driving you should be driving,,,,I dispatch, multitasking is the name of the game, you better be able to do it....

I used to dispatch in FL. I miss it sometimes, never a dull moment!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)