Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Court Rules Ex-Homosexuals Are Protected- SFOG

Posted by   + Show Post

The Superior Court of the District of Columbia has ruled that former homosexuals must be recognized under the sexual orientation non-discrimination laws.

According to the court, under the D.C. Human Rights Act, sexual orientation does not require unchanging characteristics.

"We are gratified that the ex-gay community in Washington D.C. now has the same civil rights that gays enjoy," said Regina Griggs, executive director of Parents and Friends of Ex-Gays & Gays (PFOX), which had filed the lawsuit against the District of Columbia government for failing to protect former homosexuals in the Nation's Capital.

PFOX filed a discrimination complaint against the National Education Association (NEA) for refusing to provide public accommodations to ex-homosexuals, but the D.C. Office of Human Rights (OHR) sided with the NEA, saying that sexual orientation protection did not apply to former homosexuals.

"By failing to protect former homosexuals, the sexual orientation laws gave more rights to homosexuals than heterosexuals who were once gay," Griggs said in a statement. "So PFOX asked the Court to reverse OHR's decision, which it did. The Court held that ex-gays are a protected class under 'sexual orientation.'"

"All sexual orientation laws and programs nationwide should now provide true diversity and equality by including former homosexuals," said Greg Quinlan, a director of PFOX. "I have experienced more personal assaults as a former homosexual than I ever did as a gay man."

The NEA Ex-Gay Educators Caucus is an internal entity recognized by NEA for the purpose of attempting to influence NEA governance. Although caucuses do not speak for or act on behalf of the NEA, they do advise and lobby NEA governance, according to the NEA Ex-Gay Educators Caucus Web site.

"PFOX calls on the NEA to add ex-gays to its sexual orientation resolutions which favor gays, bisexuals, and transgenders while denying equality to former homosexuals," said Griggs.

"The NEA must also stop its bias against the NEA Ex-Gay Educators Caucus by appointing an ex-gay caucus member to the NEA Sexual Orientation Committee. This committee is staffed with members of the NEA's gay and transgender caucus, although the ex-gay caucus has asked for inclusion," Griggs added.

“Our caucus will work with NEA to develop policies that recognize the needs of ex-gays in our education system. We believe education is the best way to overcome society’s phobia of former homosexuals. The caucus will also advocate alternatives to homosexuality in school curriculum to ensure diversity,” Jeralee Smith, a former lesbian, said in a statement on the caucus’ Web site.

(Source)

by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 2:43 PM
Replies (21-24):
norwegianwood
by Platinum Member on Aug. 26, 2009 at 4:38 PM

are you f**king kidding me? THIS? THIS is what our judiciary is spending time on? P-A-T-H-E-T-I-C commentary on the state of this nation.

P 

areid1023
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2009 at 5:08 PM

my thoughts exactly. whats next? anti-discrimination laws for unicorns and leprechauns? why not protect all the fairy tale creatures? gimme a break.

Quoting margroc:

Or they are gay and are now living a lie

Quoting lilyrose73:

Quoting Serenity7:

If they are ex homosexual. They were never gay to begin with. True gay people don't turn away from being Gay

I agree...

boy on a swingi love my baaaaaaaaaaaaby Clayton! 11-09-08.

Vampee_Mom
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 5:17 PM

Quoting areid1023:

my thoughts exactly. whats next? anti-discrimination laws for unicorns and leprechauns? why not protect all the fairy tale creatures? gimme a break.

LOL.. I just blew coffee on my screen.. And it's all your fault.......... LOL

areid1023
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2009 at 5:41 PM

lol. my bad.

Quoting Vampee_Mom:

Quoting areid1023:

LOL.. I just blew coffee on my screen.. And it's all your fault.......... LOL

boy on a swingi love my baaaaaaaaaaaaby Clayton! 11-09-08.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN