Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

A question about gay marriage, family values and the sanctity of marriage

Posted by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 3:25 PM
  • 11 Replies

How come the anti-gay marriage, "family values" groups never talk about out-lawing divorce as a way to save the "sanctity of marriage"?

This was posted by one of my dearest friends on facebook this morning, I really liked it and would like others opinions!

by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 3:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jaxTheMom
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 3:26 PM

I dunno, but I totally blame The Gays for my divorce.

Vampee_Mom
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 3:28 PM

You and I may not agree on some other things.

But.. This question perplexes me as well.

If gays being married ruins the sanctity of marriage.. how does divorce not as well...

I am pro-Gay marriage...  I see denying someone the right to marry based on their sexual orientation just as much a form of discrimination as the old laws against inter-racial marriage were.  Funny, the some of the same arguements made against gay marriage, were also used to argue against inter-racial marriage.

hsteele
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 3:36 PM

Good question.

Heather
Proud Pagan Momma

"If Evil exists its a pair of train tracks,
And the Devil is a railroad car."

Josh Ritter "Harrisburg"

katerprincess
by Member on Aug. 26, 2009 at 3:38 PM

Vampee, I don't follow "guide lines" and labels for any particular party.  Hopefully we'll have several other things that we agree on as well :)  I had to share what one of his friends replied.  May be a bit extreme, (or maybe not still mulling it over in my brain) but it makes a point that makes me smile!

"I have an idea, make the penalty for adultery automatic divorce, forfeiture of all property, mandatory alimony payments, never allowed to marry anyone again, and no visitation rights, regardless of what either spouse wants. Those trying to protect marriage shouldn't have a problem with this high standard.....right?"

unspecified42
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2009 at 3:54 PM

And how to they deplain that in the 5 states in which gay marriage is allowed, divorce rates went down after it became legal? Seems like they ought to be encouraging it!

It's because that particlar camp is not functioning with logic, they are functioning with religion.

Vampee_Mom
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 3:57 PM

We very well may find other things we agree on  :)   I too do not follow any particular guidelines or political ideology, I try my very best to look at each issue or subject as it's own matter, not a matter of political party or party ideology..

I don't think what you friend said was extreme.. 

Really..  If  gay couple being allowed to marry is a detriment to the sactity of my marriage in some way, then how in the world is a 50% divorce rate not detrimental to it..

Quoting katerprincess:

Vampee, I don't follow "guide lines" and labels for any particular party.  Hopefully we'll have several other things that we agree on as well :)  I had to share what one of his friends replied.  May be a bit extreme, (or maybe not still mulling it over in my brain) but it makes a point that makes me smile!

"I have an idea, make the penalty for adultery automatic divorce, forfeiture of all property, mandatory alimony payments, never allowed to marry anyone again, and no visitation rights, regardless of what either spouse wants. Those trying to protect marriage shouldn't have a problem with this high standard.....right?"

PamR
by Pam on Aug. 26, 2009 at 4:13 PM

It is a good question.

I have yet to see anyone offer a realistic reason why gay marriage somehow threatens traditional marriage.

tericared
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 4:16 PM

Quoting unspecified42:

And how to they deplain that in the 5 states in which gay marriage is allowed, divorce rates went down after it became legal? Seems like they ought to be encouraging it!

It's because that particlar camp is not functioning with logic, they are functioning with religion.

rates going down,,,that is interesting..

katerprincess
by Member on Aug. 26, 2009 at 4:27 PM

Is it from people who are insecure in their own marriage?  Why do people feel threatened by this?  I truly wish to understand or at least hear their side of things.

Vampee_Mom
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 4:31 PM

Quoting katerprincess:

Is it from people who are insecure in their own marriage?  Why do people feel threatened by this?  I truly wish to understand or at least hear their side of things.

Every reason I have ever seen against Gay-marriage has been based on religious ideology.

This is a topic that is "discussed' ( I use the term loosely because the discussions can get down right nasty) quite a bit on CM.. And  it usually becomes a bickering match about religion or religious ideology.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN