Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No Soup For You Plus Sized Market!

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:31 AM
  • 2 Replies

MIAMI – The American waistline may be expanding, but plus-size shoppers are tightening their belts.

People just aren't buying plus-size clothing at the rate they used to. Apparel in general — being a discretionary purchase — is suffering because of the economy, but plus-size has been particularly hard hit.

According to the NPD Group, a market research company, the overall women's apparel business is down about 5 percent and plus-size is down almost 10 percent from the 12 months ending in May 2009 compared to the same time the year before.

It's hard to account for the dip at a time when more than half of American women are estimated to wear plus-sizes, generally considered size 14 and up, but analysts have some theories.

"The stigma still continues despite the majority of the population is overweight," said Marshal Cohen, chief retail analyst at NPD. The stigma means some retailers don't want to lure overweight customers and send out the "wrong" image, experts said, and the customers themselves may feel put off by many stores.

Continue on link.......http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090826/ap_on_bi_ge/us_fea_fashion_plus_size_1

This is interesting. I'm a chubbybunny and I have never noticed the shortage of clothing. Of course though, I only shop at Lane Bryant and from the The Woman Within catalog.

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
mamaof2angles
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:41 AM

I use to work retail and what some of the so called "plus size" women had issue with was that the store never had their size or enough of their size in stock, the same can be said for shorter people as well, its hard to find clothes that fit properly anywhere.

LoriAnn87
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:14 AM

Alot of stores don't carry plus size clothes. I use to work at the gap and there size only went up to 14 so anything after that size could not find anything but they could go to old navy but only if there a size 20 because anything after that you have to buy it online. If store do have plus size it's a small section of the store and they don't have many to choose but if you go to a store that carters to plus size they will have more of a selection. I'm a plus size women and I have notice how hard it is to find my size in some store but I do my shop at old navy and fashion bug becasue they alway seem to carry my size.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)