Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Spl Chk.

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 4:28 PM
  • 40 Replies

So....we all come across someone on here one time or another where you make a "typo" or you're just carelessly putting "Your stupid" instead of "you're stupid", and then their comeback is "Spell Check, use it".

My question is, how important is it to present your English and grammar online, especially in a heated debate? Does it really matter? Or is it just another excuse to make yourself look better than everyone else on here? Does it bother you when someone doesn't use S.C, or do you not care? They're the ones who have to worry about it. Is online grammar and spelling just as important as if you were in school?

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 4:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kays_Mama06
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 4:31 PM

Ehh a few typos in a paragraph wont kill anyone.. But when i have to go to urban dictionary to look up certain stuff and even THEY don't have it.. Yes.. its very important. At least for them.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 4:37 PM

Everyone has typo's at one time or another. A "heated" debate....you're really apt to find quite a few. People are typing furiously. Their mind is probably going alot faster than their fingers can keep up, and there you go.

My boss' wife.......sometimes I have to write out some veterinarian orders. When I point out something that she is probably not doing correctly in the care of the animals/business....she'll be quick to point out something I mispelled and think it's going to break the bank or cause a death. haha. So she's clearly one of these types of women that gets all wound up about spelling, but her reasons, are just to find something wrong at the moment, to deflect attention away from herself.

katy_kay
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 4:39 PM

There is a difference between an occasional 'typo' and a serial killer of the English language. 

.Tiggeroo87.
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 4:39 PM

I'm not perfect, but when someone corrects me, I just tell 'em to mind their own business, 'cause I'm not here to impress anyone, but if someone is going to call me ignorant for not knowing a definition of a word, and they can't even spell the damn thing, you're darn skippy I'll be on their shit like white on rice! LOL 

.Tiggeroo87.
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 4:40 PM

Oh, that is so funny! I literally LOL'd!

Quoting katy_kay:

There is a difference between an occasional 'typo' and a serial killer of the English language. 

jaxTheMom
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 4:46 PM

This!  Esp as it's usually someone who has hopped online just long enough to tell everyone how stupid they are.

Quoting katy_kay:

Me, I try, but I know I don't always do well.  What's a struggle for me is using capitals appropriately (did I just misspell capital?  oh well), because I'm a programmer and the languages I type in all day are strongly typed, _lOoksKindOfLikeThis. 

Della529
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 5:14 PM

I believe one should make a serious effort to reply in a well thought out and grammatically correct manner, yes.

texanmommy
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 6:20 PM

I try to use all the right stuff, spell correctly, and I do use SC if I think a word might be wrong. But I don't worry about what others do. Unless of course I can't make sense of their post/reply. Then if it is that bad, I just skip it or close the post w/out commenting!  

.Tiggeroo87.
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 6:35 PM

Yeah, but why? It's just the internet. You're not getting marked for spelling...

Quoting Della529:

I believe one should make a serious effort to reply in a well thought out and grammatically correct manner, yes.

aidans_mama
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 6:35 PM

typos don't bother me.  for me, trying to make online strangers feel stupid by pointing out typos is lame.  most times, i can tell what someone is trying to say even when they have typos. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)