Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sheehan returns to rebuke Obama

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 5:22 PM
  • 31 Replies
Sheehan returns to rebuke Obama
Aug 27 01:27 PM US/Eastern

After spending weeks dogging George W. Bush's presidential vacations, anti-war protester Cindy Sheehan is now trying to make life uncomfortable for President Barack Obama.

Sheehan used to pitch a peace camp near Bush's ranch in Crawford, Texas, becoming a symbol of the anti-war movement after her son Casey died in action in Iraq.

On Thursday, she and a band of anti-war protesters turned up outside the media center used by journalists covering Obama's vacation on the well-heeled east coast resort island of Martha's Vineyard.

"The reason I am here is because ... even though the facade has changed in Washington DC, the policies are still the same," Sheehan told a handful of journalists, against a backdrop of her "Camp Casey" banner.

She told US peace activists to wake up and protest Obama's escalation of the war in Afghanistan, and complained that despite the president's anti-war stance, US troops remained in Iraq.

"We have to realize, it is not the president who is power, it is not the party that is in power it is the system that stays the same, no matter who is in charge."

"We are here to make the wars unpopular again," she said.

Wonder if MoveOn.org will sponsor her again, now that it is their guy in office. Glad to see that she is consistant in her protesting ... unlike the other Bush-war protestors.

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 5:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rotPferd
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2009 at 11:45 AM

She served her purpose when Bush was in office. Now that the media's "golden boy" is in office, she won't get a second glance. Wonder if she's gonna buy an acre in the vineyard too?

Friday
by HRH of MJ on Aug. 29, 2009 at 12:14 PM

I thought she was a nutbar that we weren't supposed to take seriously? It's so confusing trying to figure out who is relevant and who isn't, seems to change daily.

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

AdkArmyMom
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2009 at 2:58 PM

I think she's a disgrace to her son's memory.  Shame on her for using his death and minimizing his sacrifice to propel herself into the spotlight. 

momof6nokc
by on Aug. 29, 2009 at 3:31 PM

I am surprised she is back.  I *thought* she merely opposed Bush.  Turns out her motives appear to be very real and very against the war, and NOT the person in office.

I do think she is mentally unstable, likely due to her son's tragic death.  I think the media exploited her in their single minded endeavor to point out how "evil" Bush was.  And now?  She no longer serves the left wing nutbag media circus.  She is being roundly ignored (so far).

Kathy

Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind.  "Pooh," he whispered.  "Yes, Piglet?"  "Nothing" said Piglet, taking Pooh's paw, "I just wanted to be sure of you."  ~Winnie The Pooh

lilyrose73
by on Aug. 29, 2009 at 4:19 PM

Quoting momof6nokc:

I am surprised she is back.  I *thought* she merely opposed Bush.  Turns out her motives appear to be very real and very against the war, and NOT the person in office.

I do think she is mentally unstable, likely due to her son's tragic death.  I think the media exploited her in their single minded endeavor to point out how "evil" Bush was.  And now?  She no longer serves the left wing nutbag media circus.  She is being roundly ignored (so far).

Well said.

Champions find a way... Losers find an excuse

diospira
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2009 at 4:46 PM

"The reason I am here is because ... even though the facade has changed in Washington DC, the policies are still the same,"

"We have to realize, it is not the president who is power, it is not the party that is in power it is the system that stays the same, no matter who is in charge."

Truer words have not been spoken. Sheehan shows a deep understanding of reality and is not distracted by superficialities, unlike so many others.

The PTB remain the same and just sell us a new figurehead from time to time. Obama was sold to many people who longed for peace, but we can now see that nothing has changed or will change because he is a faithful puppet, like the one who preceded him. Only the facade has changed. And the wars go on.

LavenderMom23
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2009 at 5:06 PM

What a coward she is to attack while Obama is on vacation. I also think she dishonors her son by protesting.

diospira
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2009 at 5:22 PM

How in the world does that make her a coward?

I think you dishonor her son by calling her one.

ArmyGal
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2009 at 5:26 PM

I'm sorry for her loss, but she is using her son it is a disgrace. One thing I can't stand is people who use any fallen soldiers as a tool to get any message across. There is ways to go about  this and protesting on someone's vacation is not the way.

Quoting diospira:

How in the world does that make her a coward?

I think you dishonor her son by calling her one.

Eilish
by on Aug. 29, 2009 at 6:04 PM

Oh please! She did it with Bush too.

Quoting LavenderMom23:

What a coward she is to attack while Obama is on vacation. I also think she dishonors her son by protesting.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)