Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Microsoft Edits Black Man Out of Photo

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:18 PM
  • 24 Replies

LOS ANGELES (Aug. 25) -- Software giant Microsoft Corp. is apologizing for altering a photo on its Web site to change the race of one of the people shown in the picture.
A photo on the Seattle-based company's U.S. Web site shows two men, one Asian and one black, and a white woman seated at a conference room table. But on the Web site of Microsoft's Polish business unit, the black man's head has been replaced with that of a white man. The color of his hand remains unchanged.
Skip over this content
Microsoft photo unedited version, top, and edited version
Microsoft

Microsoft has apologized for editing a black man out of a photo for its Polish business unit. The unedited photo is at top; the edited version is on the bottom.

The photo editing sparked criticism online. Some bloggers said Poland's ethnic homogeneity may have played a role in changing the photo.
"We are looking into the details of this situation," Microsoft spokesperson Lou Gellos said in a statement Tuesday. "We apologize and are in the process of pulling down the image."
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
awooding
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:42 PM

I'm not one to find racism is every little thing I see, but it's lookin' pretty undeniable here. I mean, they left the hand the same and all, but...

I wonder what their explanation will be.

~~~

Money may help you get by in life,

but it can't teach you how to enjoy it.

sweetie00
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:56 PM

Quoting awooding:

I'm not one to find racism is every little thing I see, but it's lookin' pretty undeniable here. I mean, they left the hand the same and all, but...

Yeah, I wonder, too...

tericared
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 9:02 PM

Quoting awooding:

ditto

ArmyGal
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 9:04 PM

Yeah I agree lol.

Quoting awooding:

Stefanie1085
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 9:04 PM

All I can say is ICK. So stupid. 

jaxTheMom
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 9:11 PM

Somewhere in Poland right now, a corporate media team is weeping big, fat salty tears after having been solidly spanked.

I spent 6 1/2 years in a major software house (not Microsoft) and my SO is still there.  This shit happens, and trust me - the team that made this dumb arsed decision will face the music.  They are probably already seeking other employment.  BIG huge honking no-no.  Esp once it  gets media coverage.  :)

makes my black little heart just tingle.

dustinsmom1
by JENN on Aug. 28, 2009 at 9:50 PM

All I'm thinking is that if that's the best "photo shop" job someone at Microsoft can do...I ought to apply for a job! I can do a better job than that w/ my eyes closed...and NO I'm not talking about the hand. i think this is fake.

I'll keep my money, guns and freedom Mr. Obama.......You keep the change!

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:26 PM

Catholic Health Initiatives also preferres to have no people of color in their adds.

They asked my husband the filipino to comply. Apparently it 'offended' some of the donors...

The liberal person shall be enriched, and he who waters shall himself be watered. Proverbs 11:25

Della529
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:11 PM

Poland is a homogeneous country.  Meaning it's pretty much populated by Poles.  Out of roughly 38 million people in 2007, Africans/Blacks only accounted for 4,500.  If we look at it from that standpoint, it might give us some insight into why the market in Poland might be different.

awooding
by on Aug. 29, 2009 at 1:17 PM

How many Asians are there?

They left the Asian guy alone.

Quoting Della529:

Poland is a homogeneous country.  Meaning it's pretty much populated by Poles.  Out of roughly 38 million people in 2007, Africans/Blacks only accounted for 4,500.  If we look at it from that standpoint, it might give us some insight into why the market in Poland might be different.

~~~

Money may help you get by in life,

but it can't teach you how to enjoy it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)