Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Swedish man pumps every three hours, hoping to breastfeed

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2009 at 9:23 AM
  • 13 Replies

Swedish dad in bid for breast milk

Swedish father Ragnar Bengtsson, 26, has entered into an experiment that he hopes will help him breastfeed his future children.

On Tuesday, the Stockholm family man began stimulating his breasts with a pump in a bid to produce milk.

"Anything that doesn't do any harm is worth trying out. And if it works it could prove very important for men's ability to get much closer to their children at an early stage," Bengtsson told The Local.

His efforts are to be documented by Swedish TV8, with the first instalment scheduled to air at 9pm on Wednesday on the Aschberg show. Bengtsson also maintains a blog on the station's website, the title of which translates as: 'The Milkman - One Drop at a Time'.

Bengtsson is preparing to pump his breasts at three-hour intervals every day until the beginning of December. As a full time economics student at Stockholm University, he is not always going to be in a position to pump in private.

"I'm going to have to pull out the pump during lectures. But really it doesn't bother me if it makes people uncomfortable. If they have issues with it that's their problem," he said.

Male lactation is a relatively common side effect of hormone treatments, but Bengtsson has no plans to chemically induce the process.

"If it works and the milk turns out to have a high nutritional value it could be a real breakthrough," he said.

Bengtsson has a 2-year-old son who is in no way involved in the experiment, but the Stockholm dad doesn't rule out breastfeeding any future kids. Not everybody has acclaimed his quest for fathers' milk, however.

"There have been a lot of strong reactions. Some people think it's completely sick," he said.

Sigbritt Werner, professor of endocrinology at Karolinska Institutet in Stockholm, told The Local that it could be possible for Bengtsson to produce "a drop or two" after three or four months.

"Women breastfeed after they've been bathing in estrogen during a nine month pregnancy, so obviously it takes some time. But if he works on it regularly he'll likely notice a layer of tissue forming beneath the areola and it should be possible to produce enough of the hormone prolactin to cause lactation," she said.

But Werner stressed that while she was interested in the subject, she was more keen for men to use their breasts to comfort their children.

"Men often have trouble finding things. And if the mother is out, the child is screaming and they can't find the pacifier I'm sure there are a lot of men who give their baby their breasts.

"Healthy children know instinctively that the breast has a dual function. One gives them milk, the other gives them warmth and a cosy bond. Men don't need to strive to produce milk but they should take the opportunity to get closer to their child by offering them their breasts in the same way as women," she said.

by Paul O'Mahony

Source: http://www.thelocal.se/21842/20090902/

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

by on Sep. 6, 2009 at 9:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
home-sweet-home
by Silver Member on Sep. 6, 2009 at 9:32 AM

He will most likely get milk. Adoptive moms can do it as well, however, I think there are better ways for a dad to bond with his child. Like bath time.

Check out Jacob's jouney on my home page!

MommyOnLI
by on Sep. 6, 2009 at 9:37 AM

thats a sexist remark... just bc he is a man you think he shouldnt be able to BF if he can...

do you think adopted moms shouldn't BF either and the better way for them to bond with her child is bath time...

Quoting home-sweet-home:

He will most likely get milk. Adoptive moms can do it as well, however, I think there are better ways for a dad to bond with his child. Like bath time.

momaof8
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2009 at 9:38 AM

He won't be able to produce enough milk even if he succeeds. He is just looking for attention.

Check out my book http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Yes-They-Are-All-Mine/Linda-Dyson/e/9781438909295/?itm=3   You can help save lives check it out !

reading

Piscean
by Member on Sep. 6, 2009 at 9:42 AM

This comment from the article really bothers me:  "Men often have trouble finding things. And if the mother is out, the child is screaming and they can't find the pacifier I'm sure there are a lot of men who give their baby their breasts. "

IDK about your husbands, but mine has never once offered his "breast" to one of our kids!! Messed up that a man would even consider it IMO. (And I have nursed all three of our kids.)

Piscean
by Member on Sep. 6, 2009 at 9:44 AM

Maybe it's a sexist remark, but you don't see women going around trying to produce sperm. I'm just saying--breastfeeding is a woman thing. Adoptive mom, bio mom, whatever--just not dad.

Quoting MommyOnLI:

thats a sexist remark... just bc he is a man you think he shouldnt be able to BF if he can...

do you think adopted moms shouldn't BF either and the better way for them to bond with her child is bath time...

Quoting home-sweet-home:

MissBearNMonkey
by on Sep. 6, 2009 at 9:44 AM

Yuck. 

home-sweet-home
by Silver Member on Sep. 6, 2009 at 9:45 AM

Yes, he does not need to breastfeed, the baby has a mother for that. Call me sexist if you want. Women and men are made different. WE ARE different. We have different roles in family and that is the way it is meant to be. A father can bond just as well without nursing.

The difference with an adoptive mother is that she is the mother. The baby would not get milk otherwise. The female breast was made to give milk. I have helped many many women who adopted get milk for their babies.

He is just jealous of what his wife can do.

Quoting MommyOnLI:

Quoting home-sweet-home:

MommyOnLI
by on Sep. 6, 2009 at 9:51 AM

so if a mother has a double mastectomy and the father was able to produce BM you are still opposed to this, just bc he has a penis between his legs... isnt the saying "breast is best" but yet bc the mother has NO BREASTS she cannot produce milk, but yet the man can...

thats a little selfish isnt it

Quoting home-sweet-home:

Yes, he does not need to breastfeed, the baby has a mother for that. Call me sexist if you want. Women and men are made different. WE ARE different. We have different roles in family and that is the way it is meant to be. A father can bond just as well without nursing.

The difference with an adoptive mother is that she is the mother. The baby would not get milk otherwise. The female breast was made to give milk. I have helped many many women who adopted get milk for their babies.

He is just jealous of what his wife can do.

Quoting MommyOnLI:

Quoting home-sweet-home:

home-sweet-home
by Silver Member on Sep. 6, 2009 at 9:53 AM

Quoting MommyOnLI:

so if a mother has a double mastectomy and the father was able to produce BM you are still opposed to this, just bc he has a penis between his legs... isnt the saying "breast is best" but yet bc the mother has NO BREASTS she cannot produce milk, but yet the man can...

Yep, that is what I am saying! They can get donor milk.

Nope, it isn't.

MommyOnLI
by on Sep. 6, 2009 at 9:58 AM

Quoting home-sweet-home:

Quoting MommyOnLI:

Yep, that is what I am saying! They can get donor milk.

Nope, it isn't.

wow.. is all i have to say.. i'll leave it at that.. bc there is no use in replying to (i will keep the comment to myself)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN